Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McBrearty settles compo claim

Options
  • 20-09-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭

McBrearty Jnr settles action for €1.5m

20 September 2005 20:11

Frank McBrearty Junior has settled his action against the State for a total of €1.5 million.

Mr McBrearty was suing the state for wrongful arrest, malicious prosecution, and breaches of his constitutional rights amongst other claims following the death of Richie Barron in Raphoe, Co Donegal, in October 1996.

The State conceded liability for damages to Mr McBrearty Junior in June.

The above is extracted from RTE news and I have to say I am very disappointed that young McBrearty has gone back on his word.
    Earlier in the year he said that he would not privately settle any high court claim for damages as "he would have his day in court" and "the Irish people will find out the truth"

Now who is doing deals with who?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

€1.5m for me, or gamble the money and tell the truth. What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

The government got off cheap closing that mouth piece, pity they still have to settle with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jimmeh wrote:
    The government got off cheap closing that mouth piece, pity they still have to settle with the rest of them.

You dont obviously have to much sympathy for victims of injustice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The rest of the McBrearty family who still have a claim against the State, may NOT settle 'out of court' ?...

Personally, I hope that at least one of them will continue with the 'go to court' route, simply because McBrearty Jnr has settled. Still leave's the rest with another option ;) .

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

You dont know the half of it muffler, for reasons i cant go into this story isnt over by a long shot.

There may have been a few bad apples in the force in donegal, mcbeartys blowing made the job the rest of them have to do day in day out alot harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jimmeh wrote:
    You dont know the half of it muffler, for reasons i cant go into this story isnt over by a long shot.

There may have been a few bad apples in the force in donegal, mcbeartys blowing made the job the rest of them have to do day in day out alot harder.

Well I hope you're right about the story not being over. I probably know a fair bit about this saga myself but in any event would you not say that it was certain corrupt gardai who were responsible for now making life more difficult for the rest of their lot rather than the McBreartys.

Dont get me wrong i'm certainly no supporter of the McBrearty clan but the point I was making iniatially was that young Frank has now let everyone done including himself.

I was waiting with baited breath to see this "truth" come out in a high court case but now it appears that we will have to rely on the Morris Tribunal where the latest is that a certain Mr White has suddenly decided that he has memory loss attributed to depression.

Ah sure 3 out of the 5 that were to go to Dublin are sick too so its probably something called blue flu or the like

Advertisement