Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Voip

Options
  • 20-09-2005 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭

In case anyone is wondering NTL have confirmed :

"Unfortunately NTL have no plans to introduce VOIP in the near future. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards,

Lisa O'Brien
    NTL Customer Support"

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For some reason I think their lying :)
    http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9630232
    ""When the acquisition is completed we will see at that point how things are going to work out, but with Liberty Global rolling out broadband packages and VoIP across Europe, it is likely that these products will be available in the Irish market soon," said Sutherland."

They'd be stupid to let Eircom/Esat etc get services out before them, since their running on cable they have the perfect oportunity to take customers from the likes of eircom/esat/smart as customers won't need a PSTN line installed in their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Thats what NTL used to say just before they announced that they would be increasing there broadband speeds.

If you want any info on what NTL may do in the near future ask your mom because ringing them up is a waste of time!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL CS are not told anything about new upcoming products by management, CS simply haven't got a clue about what the company is planning.

It is expected that NTL will rollout VoIP when UGC completes the purchase and merger with Chorus and when the NTL network has been completely upgraded for BB.

It would be stupid not to, specially with companies like Magnet and Digiweb offering the triple play and Smart and Eircom likely to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

but it will be awhile before the purchase and merger are finished? In the meantime people are subscribing to NTL broadband and taking up Blueface etc - these may be VOIP customers NTL never gets back..

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

NTL's prospective new owners trade in the Netherlands as UPC. I've just had a look at their site and it looks like they offer VoIP from €6.95/month (recently cut from €9.95). So I reckon they will also be offering VoIP here pretty soon despite what they are saying. They have the technology so why turn down the revenue stream?

BTW I also noticed that their basic Internet package costs €24.95/month and is a 2GB up/512MB down connection. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Or 2meg down and 512 up?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Or 2meg up and 512 down?
    Yeah, what I said was arse. I should have said 2Mbs down/512 kbs up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

but it will be awhile before the purchase and merger are finished? In the meantime people are subscribing to NTL broadband and taking up Blueface etc - these may be VOIP customers NTL never gets back..

The purchase is expected to complete by the end of the year.

You might be right about Blueface, however there aren't that many NTL cable BB subscribers yet, 13,000, so there can't be that many Blueface over NTL customers.

I expect NTL will only start pushing BB big time when the purchase is complete, they rebrand as UPC and complete the Dublin cable BB roll-out.

Then I expect they will do a big national ad campaign to promote the BB. I'd be surprised if they don't include VoIP as part of this big campaign.

Strictly speaking it is unlikely NTL will actually use VoIP, the DOCSIS standard, that NTL uses for BB, actually includes specifications for voice traffic with QoS called PacketCable, it should be able to give better sound quality then VoIP (BTW I beleive this is the same tech that Digiwebs Metro network is using DOCSIS + PacketCable).

NTL will also likely supply new modems that include RJ-11 ports, that would save a lot on the start up costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

NTL already offered a voice service like that, but it was canned for some reason. I'm pretty sure UPC uses the same voice service on their cable networks. I haven't worked with voice over cable in a while, but the last time I did, the move was solidly to VoIP as opposed to PacketCable. VoIP kit is generally getting very cheap.

Advertisement