Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the Game

Options
  • 20-09-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi all im just wondering if any of you could help me out with some questions.

I want to start playing American football, I live over the North side near DCU.

Does anybody know how and where to go to join a club on the north side!

Also how difficult is it to play the game? Can any one play?

Any helpful posts are greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

When I was in DCU they had a team but it wasn't full contact - so if that's of interest and if they still have a team then that could be ideal for you. The way it was run at the time I doubt very much if they'd care if you were attending DCU or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

when you say it wasnt full contact, was there any contact?

or

Was it touch football?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

DCU will be playing full contact football this year as far as I know (http://www.dcusaints.com). I dont think you have to be in the college to play.

There is also the North Dublin Marshals (http://www.northdublinmarshals.com) who are currently training in St. Annes park every sunday.

As long as you are over 16 you can play full contact football in the league (with a consent form if you are under 18). If you are under 16 there are youth teams being set up by most squads these days aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

srdb20 wrote:
    when you say it wasnt full contact, was there any contact?

or

Was it touch football?

It was flag football, which is like tag rugby (you pull a flag off a velcro belt to tackle somebody). You can't contact the ballcarrier, but you can beat the crap out of each other off the ball and say you were 'blocking'. I guess it's 'semi-contact'.

As far as I know, DCU are running a flag team this winter as well as setting up a full contact team for the 2006 season. If you're looking to try your hand at football, flag is a great way to get to grips with the rules and the basic techniques.

Advertisement