Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing back my gun!

Options
  • 19-09-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

I am returning to Ireland after 4 years in Australia, and I want to bring by steyr 270 with me.
    I want to bring it back (post it) but am unsure of the steps involved.
    Who can I ship it to?
    What importation documentation is needed?
    Has anyone done this previously?

Would it be easier to sell my rifle here and buy a new one in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's doable certainly, shouldn't be any major hassle. The biggest thing will be getting a licence on this side. If you have your Irish licence in advance of the move, you don't need an import licence, so it'll just be a matter of bringing it with you (Ozzie export restrictions, if any{?}, aside). As it's not coming from an EU state, no Europass issues.

Alternatively you could organise to ship it to a dealer, who will hold it till you get your Irish licence. I'll wager shipping a gun from Australia is on the expensive side, might be cheaper to bring it with you as checked baggage if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

It depends on how much you want to keep your rifle..!

1. Join a rifle club here.
    2. Apply for an Irish licence for this gun.
    3.Import the gun..

(Afaik..article 7 approval is only required on firearms imported from another EU country)
    Amendment of section 17 of Principal Act.
    21.—(1) The restriction imposed by section 17 of the Principal Act on the importation into the State of firearms shall not apply in relation to the importation of a firearm by the holder of a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm which is in force.

That's pretty much it...

Or sell it and buy another one here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Thanks for the quick responses - Cost I have been told should not be too much trouble in terms of shipping (100 euro) but holding it in a gun shop will cost me 50 euro plus 10 euro per week- It cold be 6 months to process the license(that thetime it took for my father to get an air rifle licensed in the mid 80s)

Should I sell my reloading gear- I realise that there may be plans to allow it in the new CJB?

I will tell you how I get on.

Check around with some other shops before settling on that price for storage. Buy some gear/ammo etc off them and you will probably do a lot better.

Just a thought, could you see about getting a visitor's permit to tide you over in the meantime before the main licence comes through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Persons taking up residences in Ireland or persons resident in Ireland seeking to import a firearm

If a person importing a firearm intends to reside in Ireland permanently or for an extended period (six months or more) an importation licence issued by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform is required. Importation licences are granted subject to the condition that the applicant makes the application to the local Garda Síochána (Police) for a firearm certificate. Ammunition may not be imported with the firearms. There is no fee for an importation licence.

• Advertisement

:) Hi There

Should have attached application form, very straighforward process, fill in the form, send it off, wait for the documents and simply carry your rifle as luggage, complying with airline regs for the transfer of fireamrs, easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Noticed this in the document Bob posted-
    Note:
    A PERSON RESIDENT IN IRELAND UNDER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS IS NOT ENTITLED TO HOLD A FIREARM CERTIFICATE OTHER THAN FOR HUNTING OR TARGET SHOOTING.
    I can read all sorts of possible permutations into that, but am I merely looking at a bit of badly worded bureaucratic bumf?

It's coming from European firearms law.

It prevents Irish 17 yr olds being granted firearm certificates for personal protection! :)

thankyou Bob, i called the number at the bottom of the form and they said I could import the firearm - using that form. However once I have imported the firearm I will be in possssion of a firearm with out a license - so I think I will go down the route of having firearm dealer shipping it to anoter firearm dealer - my local gun shop say this is the easiest way ( I also have to get an export permit from Canberra ).
    Plus there is the postal service to deal with
    Shipping is easier than carrying as some stopovers make you have an import permit ( singapore).

1) Your imporation certificate is sufficient for you to posess the firearm without a firearms certificate, it will have a certain validity.
    2) You can ahead of time apply for a firearms certificate as a visitor, valid to July 31st

Suggest you do both
    Regards

• Advertisement

PS If you are issues with a firearms certificate you need not apply for an importation certificate, simply turn up at Dublin airport or any other entry point and declare your firearm, show your cert etc........

Amendment of section 17 of Principal Act. 21.—(1) The restriction imposed by section 17 of the Principal Act on the importation into the State of firearms shall not apply in relation to the importation of a firearm by the holder of a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm which is in force.

(2) The said section 17 is hereby amended by—

(a) the deletion in subsection (3) of "(not exceeding six months)", and
    (b) the deletion in subsection (4) of "(not being more than one month)",

thankyou for the replys,
    So could I return to Ireland, say December 21st, apply for an import certificate as a non resident -
    -and have the firearm sent to me, from my local gun shop in Australia.
    -and while the firearm is in my possession apply for a firearms certificate?
    - this seems to be a good way to do it if possible !

Your imporation certificate is sufficient for you to posess the firearm without a firearms certificate, it will have a certain validity.

I'm not sure about that one at all, fairly certain it doesn't cover possession once imported.

Does anyone know the rules regarding hunters who bring in firearms in from EU countries
    is the a difference forms for non-EU countries?

Simplest thing is to apply ahead of time for your firearms certificate as a visitor, then although you do not need apply for an importation certificate before you travel. Ship or bring the gun with you......Straighforward really. It is irrelivent as to the effect of the imporation certificate if you do it in this manner.

PS there is no differnece between a person bringing a gun from an EU country and a non EU country save the fact that an EU resident is required to submit his EU pass while applying for a certificate..........gets a little more complex when one wishes to import a firearm from a country where there is no individual licensing of firearms.........funny thing is that there are countries in the EU where this can be the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement