Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun items in the local paper

Options
  • 19-09-2005 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

I was just going through last week's Leinster Express (September 14, 2005), and I found these few interesting items-
    Ballinakill man sentenced for drive-by shooting
    Adden Campion (18) of 5 Chapel Street, Ballinakill was sentenced to six months detention after discharging a pellet gun at two young girls aged seven and 16 in Abbeyleix on Saturday, August 6.
    Portlaoise District Court heard last Friday that Campion, who was a passenger in a car, admitted to firing plastic pellets at passers-by in the town.
    Defence Solicitor Philip Meagher explained that his client had only intended to play a joke but, in hindsight, realised the seriousness of his actions and had "been beside himself with fear and anxiety" and was "at the feet of the court looking for mercy."
    Judge Aeneus McCarty described his actions as an "outrageous crime" and felt he would be negligent in his duty if he didn't pass a custodial sentence.
    Mr Campion was charged with possession of an article with intent to cause injury and threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour in a public place and was given six months and two months detention to run concurrently.

Abbeyleix shotgun case adjourned
    JOSEPH Delaney of 27 Balladine, Abbeyleix was so troubled by the company his son was keeping that he fired a gun shot over the roof of the van his son and another man were sitting in.
    Portlaoise District Court heard on Friday last, that after returning home from having a few drinks on Monday, February 21 last Mr. Delaney asked his son to come home. When he refused he decided to get his shotgun and put pressure on him by discharging the firearm up into the air.
    Defending Solicitor Philip Meagher said: "He does admit it was a foolish thing to have done." And he went on to point out that his actions breached the privilege in having a gun licence and that his judgement was clouded on the night owing to the consumption of alcohol."
    Judge McCarty adjourned the case until December 9.
    Let that first one be a lesson to all the 'lads' who think no-one will take their illegal/unlicenced possession of an airsoft gun seriously. The second one looks like a perfect candidate for a licence cancellation.

There were a couple of less serious items too-dvncyf.jpg

Looks like the United Irishmen were coming in at altitude!
    :D

and this logo for a new Italian takeaway in Portlaoise-
    dvndao.jpg
    It would appear that the place is guarded by a priest in a funny hat with a pair of 1928 Thompsons!
    There'll be no drunken rows in there then :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Gotta love living in Laois! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Mr Campion was charged with possession of an article with intent to cause injury and threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour in a public place and was given six months and two months detention to run concurrently.

Ok..
    It was a wildly stupid thing to do ..But.
    Locked up for using a plastic pellet gun ..?

Anyone else think that is a bit excessive,

I wonder did his solicitor think of producing the said item in court and providing
    a display of it's awsome lethal power on an empty coke can ..?

The solicitor should have got 3 months for stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

jaycee wrote:
    Ok..

I wonder did his solicitor think of producing the said item in court and providing

He doesn't appear to have been charged with a firearms offence, rather having an "article" and threatening and abusive behaviour. Threatening and abusive behaviour could get you a sentence on it's own. I would think that people with bb guns are unlikely to be charged with firearms offences now that a precedent has been set and they are classed as "articles" rather than firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Am I right in thinking that brandishing and threatening with a 'gun like' item is treated with the same seriousness and carries the same penalties as the same activities with a real gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

jaycee wrote:
    Ok..

it would appear that they were driving around the town pointing / firing the gun at people including children. the guy is an idiot and deserves every bit of the sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

MP wrote:
    He doesn't appear to have been charged with a firearms offence, rather having an "article" and threatening and abusive behaviour. Threatening and abusive behaviour could get you a sentence on it's own. I would think that people with bb guns are unlikely to be charged with firearms offences now that a precedent has been set and they are classed as "articles" rather than firearms.

Hmmm,I wouldnt bet on it.That could be a reporter slip up or the judge not knowing the firearms acts.
    Rule of thumb is;anything that breaks at a breech or discharges any type of missile is classified as a firearm under irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Sadly and not too far from home police saw a man with an outstanding arrest warrent. When they aproached the man pulled a pellet gun from his belt. I don't have any idea what he was thinking, no one ever will. He died shortly thereafter. Some of todays suicide is now called death by cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

Flattop 15 wrote:
    Hmmm,I wouldnt bet on it.That could be a reporter slip up or the judge not knowing the firearms acts.
    Rule of thumb is;anything that breaks at a breech or discharges any type of missile is classified as a firearm under irish law.

I am not disagreeing with the definition of a firearm, only suggesting that (without benefit of access to court records) it seems that the Gardai did not charge the individual with an offence under the Firearms Act. Perhaps some enlightened Superintendent did not wish to put a conviction for a Firearms offence on the record of the person involved. It wouldn't be the first time a bit of common sense was applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    Gotta love living in Laois! :)
    It just keeps getting better and better-
    Gardaí probe Irish convict's movements

and-
    Man's body exhumed in Co Laois

<sigh>
    Anyone got the Duelling Banjos theme handy so we can play it at the county border?

Advertisement