Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPECHE MODE - Living Legends??

Options
  • 19-09-2005 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I always liked them. Right from the start, I suppose. Although not everything they put out was great (but that goes for any band). Now, with a new album and a world tour that is virtually sold out already, one might ask: "How come that a synthi - pop band from Basildon made it so big? "

Is it sheer determination or just damn good songs and a portion of luck?

"Exciter" wasn't that great, I thought, and the solo albums by Martin and Dave weren't that great either, although their standard is still higher than that of many bands.

Will "Playing the angel" be their final piece or will they continue?! When is "just can't get enough" enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I am a big fan of DM from their earliest material till now. I Didn't realise they had a new album out. I reckon they are so popular is because they are different, they have their own sound, and they have developed their sound over the years. Obviously people just lilke the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

They were very hit and miss though. Some great hits, but every album contained a large percentage of filler. I'd say Ultra is my favourite album, but stuff on it like Sister of Night... crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Some great songs. Some more than great songs. Unfortunately a fair few mediochre songs. I'd love to see them live though. Violator is such an amazing album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Shame that their new stuff aint as good...sigh, the new single's video is purdy cool-liking the mechanical fish in the video.....yea, not saying much for their music though..but "enjoy the silence" is up there in my top 20 favourite songs :)

I was REALLY REALLY disappointed with Gahan's Paper monsters, or paper tigers, (whatever the hell it was) last year, it was dire...old man rock, they're all back at it now, Geldof, Paul Beatle, Wrinkly Rolling stones, Happy Mondays, and now Depeche mode...i duno :D Just don't take anything off onstage...ah the nightmares

thought exciter was cack apart from two tunes
    Ultra i reckon is there best, with violator and faith and devotion their other 2 best albums

there stuff from the 80s is incredibly overrated, maybe its a case of "you had to be there"

i think they should have called it a day after Ultra.
    Heard the new single and didnt think much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

there stuff from the 80s is incredibly overrated, maybe its a case of "you had to be there"

Perhaps it is. Being 38 years of age I was there when they exploded, especially in my homeland Germany.

Judging by their videos and the concert I've seen they are still a great live act and absolutely underrated when it comes to performance.

As for the new single: Most of the time the single is the most commercial and often the worst song on the album, so I have to wait for the album to be released.

Point taken tho, "Paper Monster" was ****e. Martin Gore's collection of remade cover songs titled "Counterfeit 2" was way better although it didn't really kick ass either.

Will see them on tour next year - could always be the last tour ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Depeche Mode are great I live the new single its not their best by a long shot but I still think its good hopefully the rumours of an Irish date next year are true. As for having to be there to like thier 80's stuff I was only born in the early 80's so I wasnt old enough to apreciate them at the time but now thier 80's material is probably my favorite

Wow, just read on their page that they play at the Madison Square Garden this year. Any band that plays there is BIG. Guess, they r big then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Depeche Mode were big in UK and Europe. But you have to remember they are one of the few band to make it really big in the States. When everyone had forgotten them in Europe they were HUGE in the States. They played massive arena tours etc. Some of this was covered in the "Depeche Mode Behind the music" on VH1. Dunno if you've seen that. Theres one part where it shows them playing Pasadena Rose Bowl in front of 70,000 fans.

Some of this was covered in the "Depeche Mode Behind the music" on VH1. Dunno if you've seen that. Theres one part where it shows them playing Pasadena Rose Bowl in front of 70,000 fans.

I have seen it indeed. I have got the Rose Bowl gig on DVD (titled 101). It just came out on DVD recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement