Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange actions from my Dog

Options
  • 19-09-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking for a bit of help. I took in a stray cairn over a year ago. He's a fine dog, he does suffer from eplisey but otherwise is a good dog. However on Friday I went out at 9am, and he was fine as he is usually left in the back room of the house. By 12, he ripped up one of the chiars and also destroyed a lightshade, he made a real mess of a few things. He did the same thing on Friday night and Saturday night\Sunday morning.

He also broke away some of the back gate so he could get out.

The only thing that may of happened was he didnt get out on Thursday due to the rain.

Anyone got any ideas??

thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Thats unusual
    I'd pop him to the vets to be on the safe side - odd that he should just start this behaviour all of a sudden.

Might have something to do with the epilepsy :confused:

OR on another note - is he neutered ?
    Could there be a bitch close by in season - prompting him to want to get out ?
    Just an afterthought.

Have you tried crating him - it wouldn't be too bad if it's only for 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Thanks,
    He isnt nutured. I kinda think its something to do with that! I cant understand why its only now that he is acting this way. He never caused any problems before Friday morning, but since he has been making a mess.

I do know he was up on the window ledge as his paw marks where on the ledge, so someone said to me, he just wanted to get out!!!

He isnt causing any problems when there is people in the room with him, its only when he is alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Could be as simple as that - a bitch close by - there may not have been one before

I would strongly recommend getting him done anyway - it's better all round. It takes away that " urge " and the frustration that males can feel ..... It also makes them a little calmer and reduces the risk of him getting out and never being found again

The op is so simple these days - he'll be back to himself within a few hours.

There are hundreds and hundreds of terriers in the Dublin Pounds recently - and I'd say a high proportion of them are sex mad little fella's that get out after a bitch in season - sad really as the majority of them end up being pts.

Beleive me I have seen males go to some lenghts to get out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I agree with suzie 100%.

Also, discuss with his vet the meds he is on for his epilepsy, there are many different kinda and some have pretty major side-effects when it comes to behaviour, and if hes *not* on meds, then maybe he should be?

Seizures, cause damage to the brain, every time he has one. Medication is vital to minimize the amount he has.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Well how old is the dog? Young pups are like that for a year at least and grow out of it. Other than that the dog might have been rared kinda wild and unruled and no discipline would make the dog like that.
    Epilepsy mite effect the dogs personality. I dont know much but I have heard it can. He might have had a head injury once./

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's banger season - are there lunatics letting off bangers nearby?

Advertisement