Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needin' a bit o' help...

Options
  • 19-09-2005 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend some good funk bands pour moi ta listen to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

Ok well theres many sub-genres of funk, all of which i enjoy so here you go:

Galactic (my personal fav band) - New Orleans steamroller funk band mix everything together a truely great band. anything of theirs is pure gold

Garage a trois - more acid jazz/ funk, not to everyones taste but its all good

The meters - your classic new orleans funk band, amazing stuff, highly recommedn their greatest hits

Funkadelic/ Parliament/ P - funk - you're standard crazy, pyschedelic, spacey out there funk/electronic/rock/god knows what

Fela/ Femi Kuti - more afrobeat but that incorporates funk so its all good. african music meets jazz meets funk with a slice of political lemon thrown in for good measure. its good sh!t

Headhunters - just cool in general

james brown - rock'n'roll? na, funk'n'soul and good too

sly and the family stone - some real early funk

thats all i got now but believe me that'll last you a few decades :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

More mainstream kind of stuff, but a lot of Prince stuff is super funky. Also the early jamiroquai stuff is great too. Try some Sly and The Family Stone as well and Tower of Power. Also check out D´angelo, more rap sort of stuff, but with lots of funk/soul in there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Fela Kuti - Two sides of Fela -

Go get it now, it's incredible.

Funkadelic are top notch too, and you might want to try the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

In addition to all the above excellent recommendations there's some great modern funk bands at the moment who tour exstensively
    Check out
    Breakestra
    The Rebirth
    Quantic Soul Orchestra
    Young Blood Brass Band
    Nu MasterSounds
    Little Barrie
    and more

Booker T and The Mgs - reportedly one of the tightest live bands ever. Ultimate groovemasters, no vocals, but amazing grooves. A lot of their songs would be of the short and sweet genre, so I recommend putting albums on your i pod/mp3/discman/tpe player and just letting them play. The best of is ridiculously good:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tommie C

Cousin It...................fantastic taste, the meters,parliament, Sly

Aswell some of the earlier Chili Peppers albums are worth checkin out, I know it's very mainstream but you gotta love some of those bass lines!

thanks very much:)

I'm not a 100% sure, but I believe a Mr. George Clinton, of p-funk fame, produced those early chilis albums so there's no surprise they're funky.
    Also, George happened to play with one of the bass greats, Bootsy Collins, so it's also no wonder the bass lines are so pronounced eh?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I am not too sure if you get their stuff on cd as I havent heard about them in ages but it is worth checking out the shelves:

Madhouse

Madhouse used to be a funk band formed and supported by thePrince and the revolution keyboarder Dr. Fink and sax player Eric Leeds (who also played on more than one Prince record) if I remember correctly.

One album was called "Eight" and had eight songs on them. The next one by eight was called "sixteen".

It was all instrumental funk/jazz but absolutely ass kicking music.

Madhouse was support act for Prince back in 1987 on the "Sign o the times" tour and thats really all I remember about them.

Hope that helps

three more for you guys

G Love and the special sauce - nice mix of funk and blues

Greyboy Allstars - good electro funk, lots o breaks and good vocals on some tracks

and while they aren;t strictly funk, they have some elements of funk to their style I think, as well as some roots reggae and ethnic stuff, I am talking about the one and only Bedouin Soundclash

I'd aslo like to recommend www.pandora.com to all the funky people out there, great for expanding your funk band knowledge. I'd particularly like to recommend the greyboy allstars station..... quality.

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

if you're not a major funk fan but are interested n listening to a variety of things then check out a compilation called Funkology. its got a naked woman covered in honey on the cover. it has tracks by most of the guys listed above, clinton bootsy, etc...its a decent compilation with a lot of cool funky stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement