Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Tesco store in Ballybofey

Options
  • 19-09-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any thoughts or opinions for or against the new store.

For anyone who is not aware of what is happening --- Tesco have applied for planning permission to construct a new store at Donegal Road, Ballybofey. They have also applied seperately for a filling station on the same site.

Paddy 20 has alleged that some people in Ballybofey have objected to this but as usual the truth is distorted to put it mildly. The only local "objection" which is really a submission requesting the grading and screening of the rear of the site from an adjoining site which has permission for houses was made by McMenamin Brothers from Dreenan, ballybofey. In fact they did not object to the proposal.

Paddy20 firstly alleged that there were local people objecting and has now said that Joe McMenamin from Stranorlar has objected.

FFS Paddy can you not read? McMenamin Brothers from Ballybofey are completely different people from Joseph McMenamin & Sons, Stranorlar.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Anyways, Paddy can make all the stupid comments he wants but does anyone else have an opinion about the idea of a Tesco store in Ballybofey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Muffler,

It is wrong too shoot the messenger, attack the post NOT the poster.

For me to mix up different McMenamin's from the same locality is only human IMHO :rolleyes: and I retract my insinuation that the building contractor Joe McMenamin of Stranorlar was the McMenamin who submitted an official observation in writing to Donegal County Council, which is an objection!.

I personally want TESCO in Ballybofey, but I know that these objecter's, anonymous and other's are certainly not helping the citizen's of the Finn Valley who want and need a decent fairly priced megastore.

If Letterkenny can have TESCO + LIDL + ALDI + DUNNES + Etc, etc.

Why should Ballybofey/Stranorlar not have them as well ?.... :confused:

Now, try taking a 'chill pill' or a stroll through whats left of Drumboe woods ;)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy all you done in the last thread was make wild accusations without any facts to back up your claims. You above all should know the difference between someone with an address in Ballybofey and someone with an address in Stranorlar.

You even went so far as to come out with this " Dublin based Shane Fitzgerald is only acting as a front for Ballybofey's devious cowardly greed driven local mafia. I do not personally know him?..."

How in the name of Jesus, Mary and their wee donkey do you who who this man is acting as a front for?

As Coronation Street's Fred would say: You're a dangerous man, I say, you're a dangerous man.

Apart from all that you are conveying a very false image of the Twin Towns.

And yes I would be 100% behind a Tesco store in Ballybofey and a filling station if it means that we are to get a price for petrol that is different from the other 5 filling stations in the area (all have identical prices yet different brands - odd???)

muffler wrote:
    And yes I would be 100% behind a Tesco store in Ballybofey and a filling station if it means that we are to get a price for petrol that is different from the other 5 filling stations in the area (all have identical prices yet different brands - odd???)

Aha, muffler agree's with Paddy20. Goody, goody, gum drop's :) Maybe now we can stop jumping down each other's throat's.?...

I also, would be very interested, in other people's view's on this important issue for the Twin-Town's of Ballybofey/Stranorlar.

So please post them on this, my friend mufflers thread.

P.

Ballbofey/Stranorlar must now have a bigger population than Letterkenny had when it got Dunnes stores. So I think we are definitely due a new store. Competition is healthy.

I dont really see such a project causing any serious loss of income for the other established stores.

Case at hand is McElhinneys/Murphys with the latter being the smaller of the 2 shops but appears to be doing great.

It has been proven in the past that a large store generates extra shoppers to the towns. Sadly it took the firebombing of McElhinneys to prove this. After they closed the place was like a ghost town but when they reopened all the shops had a massive increase in turnover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jdh

Guys...I'm from Ballybofey as well...And I fully support the erection of both a new store and pertol station. What I have heard, is that the only objectors are the TSA and Gallaghers....both incidentally in the fuel business...and both more expensive than stations on our side of LetterKenny or Donegal town. Incidentally, its good to check out IRISHFUELPRICES.COM. Such disgust at their application is to be expected, when it threatens the bottom lines of both businesses....however, its apparent they aren't stuck for a penny either way. Since tesco opened a petrol station in Maynooth, for example, all the existing retailers are never more than 1 cent more, per litre. tesco's help keep the others in check....and thats never a bad thing.... Is there a local lobby group pushing the planning dept. on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

glad to see some external inputt in this thread.

I thought it was turning into the paddy 20/muffler thread.

In relation to tesco, like all area's, there is always one or two persons/groups who think or give the impression of being in control.
    The thought of an external group coming into a local community such as the twin towns may not be a bad thing but as always change is not always accpected. Paddy if you looking for persons to blame, albeit the mysterious objectors, did you ever think of the local centra/spar owner as being the objectee's. Bear in mind these ppl have a lot to loose by the influx of magastore retailers i.e. their livelyhoods and profession.
    Can you imagine the local corner shop trying to compete with tesco, lidl etc. it is near impossible to cope and survive and hence the closure of the corner shop is an almost guaranteed.

Now just to add, i have no idea's of what/who the objections are. But if you stand outside of the zone and look in, you may have a more objective look.

Just my thoughts for the evening

Yes, nice to see a couple of extra comments.

One or 2 points to pick up on. Have to agree with jdh about the petrol. According to the Council's website there are 3 local objectors to the filling station part of the proposal. Dunnion, Maguire (TSA) and Gallagher.

I dont really like getting in to personal details or names but the names are already on public record and they are the only locals objecting and all 3 own filling stations. Therefore about 99.99999 % of the local population are happy with the proposal. Not aware of any local lobby group - maybe Paddy could form one ;)

In relation to nanooks comments I dont think the local corner shop will be too badly affected unless it is right next door to the site. I can only relate to my family's habits where we would buy some of the bread, milk, newspaper (and fags :cool: ) in the local shop but would head out of town for the main weekly shopping.

In a nutshell I hope the Council decide to grant the permission but unfortunately if this were to be the case I would be fairly sure that someone will appeal that.

Yes, good to see some more input, most people with transport go to Letterkenny for their weekly shop, simply because they can not afford the price's and hate the lousy selection of grocerie's available in Ballybofey/Stranorlar.

As for a lobby group, I think muffler would be ideal for this :) as I already am involved up too the hilt in 2 voluntary organisation's which I founded 14 years ago, and I am a bit 'burnt out' to say the least, apart from being housebound and disabled to such an extent that I can not make it too Letterkenny.

So, time for someone else to pick up the gauntlet ?...and can I suggest that a Public Petition supporting TESCO'S application would be effective, and would have no problem obtaining signature's from local resident's, all that is needed are a few canvassers, prepared too go door knocking!.

If Donegal County Council grant planning permission, then as muffler suggest's, there are people who could then appeal to An Board Pleanala to have the planning overturned. That happened in the not too distant past, when a hotel was given planning permission on the Letterkenny Road beside Lough Alaan. Unfortunately, a 'Mr Peter Mulrine' and another neighbour appealed too An Board Pleanala and Donegal County Council's permission was overruled Apparently it was going to spoil the view from their house's located quite a distance away from the Lough!.

That's what the people of the Twin Towns are up against, and for me to admit that I am 'furious' at certain business people in my home town, would be the understatement of the year :mad: .

I am also aware that other communitie's throughout Ireland have the same problem, but time's are changing, and those in business must also change with the time's. They are not short of brain's and there are plenty of new business opportunitie's for 'Corner shop's' etc, which by the way TESCO are also into in the UK in a big way ;) .

I sincerely hope someone volunteer's too take up a petition !. As an 'appeal against' planning permission, would then not be so likely to be successful. ;) As the people would have already expressed their wishe's!.

Yeah, 'power to the people', and God bless the late great John Lennon.

P.

N.B. TESCO also offer an online shopping service, with free delivery. This is a very important unique service of great benefit to the 'housebound', elderly and disabled citizen's within any given Tesco store's catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Well - since it doesn't look like this thread is headed for the Thunderdome anymore...

Paddy20 - there's a reason why Letterkenny has lots of supermarkets. Letterkenny is the catchment town for most of North Donegal - and this is shown by its constant growth by inward migration from the rest of the county as well as the burgeoning, unplanned and rather ugly growth of an entire district of mega-stores on the Pearse rd. and the Blaney rd.

Also, last time I looked, I'm sorry to say that Tesco don't offer home delivery in Donegal, only in Dublin and certain areas of Meath, Kildare and Louth. Its not a service thats offered within 5 miles of every store, although hopefully that will change because it is a damn useful service for those of us who don't own cars...

Just went to update my tesco.ie account to tell it I live in Donegal and got the message..

'Tesco.ie internet home shopping service is now available in Counties Dublin, Meath, Wicklow, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Clare, Waterford, Kildare and Kerry.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

I am just waiting for people to start complaining about not having a McDonalds in Ballybofey. Andies in stranorlar is a great shop/store, support your local companies for you'll miss them when they're gone.

jimmeh wrote:
    I am just waiting for people to start complaining about not having a McDonalds in Ballybofey. Andies in stranorlar is a great shop/store, support your local companies for you'll miss them when they're gone.

Andie's in Stranorlar belong's to F.F. Councillor Alice Bonner, who is wonderful at helping herself, and you are recommending her damn shop, are you mad ?... :eek:

P.

Just went to update my tesco.ie account to tell it I live in Donegal and got the message..

'Tesco.ie internet home shopping service is now available in Counties Dublin, Meath, Wicklow, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Clare, Waterford, Kildare and Kerry.'

Well, if they open in Ballybofey. We will just have to campaign for online shopping and FREE home delivery in Donegal. ;)

P.

You're on the warpath again Paddy :mad:

Paddy i have a question for you, and please dont take it the wrong way.

Is there any politician/organisation/industrailist that you dont like.

You seem to state the pecimistic view of the area and that all of mulrines bottel's seem to be half empty (pardon the dig but i have obsserved that you are not a fan of mulrines)

Surely there has to be someone in the twin town that has to have done some good for the area and the community.

Well - I think Paddy20 is doing an excellent job of re-enforcing a point of view I've always maintained: Ballybofey/Stranorlar is a sh*thole. :p

Well - I think Paddy20 is doing an excellent job of re-enforcing a point of view I've always maintained: Ballybofey/Stranorlar is a sh*thole. :p

Thats a terrible thing to accuse Paddy of doing :D:D:D

nanook,

For me to express my genuine concern about 2/3 business concern's and people, in a community with hundreds of good business concerns, and thousand's of great resident's/citizen's is hardly going over the top !...is it?...

P.

N.B. Good here innit as the London cockneys say?...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I work and live in the Finn Valley area and would personally love to see Tesco opening a store and filling station in the town.

This would bring a bit of competition to this rip off of a town (which I neither buy my shopping nor petrol in).

But I do not believe it will happen. The "big fish" in or little pond are just making too much profit. And also (most but not all) have a say in Councils be it County or Town.

I can give an example:

A few years back a Company tried to get planning permission to build a hotel out the Letterkenny road but was rejected on grounds that there was not ample parking. This on a 7 acre site!! The hotel building cannot have been that big? But yet one of the other 2 hotels in the town is able to build a rather large extension over their existing car park. Now I'm not sure if the new underground car park is bigger or not.

The point I'm trying to make is that this new hotel would have brought badly needed jobs to this area but was turned down for (in my opinion) a poor reason.

Call me cynical but I can't help but think it was to keep certain people happy. And I believe it will happen again with Tescos unless we in the town start to voice our thoughts.

Tesco will come to Ballybofey if they want to. They have huge clout.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't agree entirely with water-man's thoughts. I dont think there is a conspiracy to keep the existing business between a select few.

But planning is an issue and something that could be debated in a different thread. However it has to be pointed out, especially for the benefit of people who are not from this area and may be reading these posts, that 2 of the 3 county councillors in this area own grocery shops in Stranorlar and you have to be sceptical about the input of councillors in planning decisions.

Hopefully we will see a favourable decision on the Tesco application. Just for the record the council is presently awaiting the submission of additional information before they can make a decision.

muffler,

Do you not think it is about time you stuck your head above the parapet, as I have been doing for the past 14 years!, and start a public petition in support of TESCO opening in Ballybofey. It then become's a 'legal instrument' which when delivered too The County Secretary has to be presented in the Council chamber, where locally elected County Councillor's are obliged too support it, as it represent's the people's wishe's. Well ??....

Paddy.

BTW, This thread is receiving around 20% replie's for number of view's, that's about double the normal average of 10% response/replie's. I think you must have struck a cord here, congratulation's :D . Now organise the petition :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    nanook,

For me to express my genuine concern about 2/3 business concern's and people, in a community with hundreds of good business concerns, and thousand's of great resident's/citizen's is hardly going over the top !...is it?...

P.

N.B. Good here innit as the London cockneys say?...

I knew that i was going to get this kind of reaction.

The question i asked as there any decent ppl in the twin town, I have spent along time in Donegal but never the Ballybofey area, I dont know a whole pile about the town.

Paddy, this is your forum to express your mind.
    Everyone is entitled to speak and be heard, that is all. No offence meant in anyway.

Nanook,

This is my home town, and there is 'no shortage' of 'really decent people here' my criticism of a few, is my civil right, and many thank's for confirming my right "to speak and be heard".

No offence taken, in any way.

Paddy.

Paddy20 wrote:
    muffler, Do you not think it is about time you stuck your head above the parapet, as I have been doing for the past 14 years!, and start a public petition in support of TESCO opening in Ballybofey. :

I dont see the need for this. Its like the old saying - " if it's not broke dont fix it"
    But thanks for your vote of confidence Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

?
    ...?

I ahve heard of all the proposed stores in here,

dunns in donegal.. that was objected to .... and a tesco.

i live in past killybegs.. a place called kilcar. it takes up to an hour and a half to get form my house to leterkenny. why should i have to drive that distance to get cheap goods in one of the maga stores.
    sure we have lidl but if you ever shoped there ,... ya can't get any brands which do tase somwhat beter than the maga brands... in tesco.. you can!

so why are they putting a store a distance of about what 20mins... when they could verywell put it a bit closer to the rest of us her.. in the south west???!!!!

its just plain silly! howbout those who live 20 mins in from me.. (yes.. even further!) tey have about 2 hours.. or just under! your complaining about having to drive 20 mins? tsk tsk :rolleyes: ya silly billies :mad:

goodgod3rd wrote:
    your complaining about having to drive 20 mins? tsk tsk :rolleyes: ya silly billies :mad:

I think you lost the plot a little :)

The thread is intended for debating the advantages or need for a Tesco store in ballybofey and to gauge local opinion.

I heard on the 'bush telegraph' today, that TESCO have no intention of backing away from their plan too open in Donegal Road, Ballybofey .

Apparently they are going to modify their planning application's in accordance with the County Manager's recommendation's :D .

P.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I heard on the 'bush telegraph' today, that TESCO have no intention of backing away from their plan too open in Donegal Road, Ballybofey .

Apparently they are going to modify their planning application's in accordance with the County Manager's recommendation's :D .

P.

hope the rumble in the jungle is right paddy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Of course, Ballybofey needs a Tesco, or at least ONE big supermarket chainstore. Though I am surprised a bit with Tesco wanting to build in Ballybofey considering it's relative closeness to Letterkenny. Though I suppose with that said, they possibly realise there is little in the line of competition in Ballybofey from rival chainstores so they'd have a near monopoly.

Of course, there were all sorts of mega-plans for Tesco, Dunnes, etc for Donegal Town, with lots of delays from objections and general f***ing about! :mad: I don't know now what the situation is regarding any chain store in Donegal Town, though now that Abbotts/Hospira are closing, wouldn't that be the fine premises to throw a supermarket - already built with large car park! ;)

Anyway, that's for another topic! :)

Advertisement