Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science

Options
  • 17-09-2005 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

How important is it to have Honours maths for science?.

I`m aware that there is a lot of maths in science, particularly in genetics which is what I hope to do. I`m repeating the LC (blah). Along with two new subjects I will be doing honours maths after doing pass. The reason why I am doing it is to give me a better grounding in maths for sciece/genetics. My main worry is that it will be too much and that I wont have enough time for the two new subjects as well as the other ones. What I will probaly do is drop down to pass and use it as a back up for points.

How well can pass maths prepare you for science at third level?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you think you can do it, do it. It is very useful imho. In some courses in science it is a requirement iirc.

Then again, I could be wrong. My younger brother is studying genetics, I'll ask him about it when I see him next if you like. I'm pretty sure there are some other genetics people on boards anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Don't worry about it, i did pass maths since my junior cert :o and am now second science in ucd. If it makes you feel better i got 57% (2.2) in maths in 1st year and a 2.1 average for the whole year.

i have never been good at maths and it has not hampered me so far. I'm also more interested in the biological sciences, chemistry,pharmacology and biochem are my subjects this year.

tbh it's not so much your ability at maths it's just getting you to think and analyse problems in a certain way that maths seems to help with.

Anyway hope my incoherent babbling helped in some way, good luck with your lc and remember if you're intersted in science and have a curious/analytical mind you'll be fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Well it all depends on what branch of science and what college you go to.

In your case it is Genetics. Genetics does have a mathematical force behind it and i would advise you to do Hon maths if possible.

All science courses have a maths element to them, it can't be avoided but the maths is totally different from 2nd level. People who have hated maths in 2nd level have come to enjoy it in college because it has a more relaxing approach. Pass maths should be fine.

If you go to Trinity, you can do mathematical methods (easy maths) in first year, then drop maths. You will only learn maths relevant to it's need in science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thanks all, not that worried now!. I will probaly do pass as I feel I won`t have enough time.

Advertisement