Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Green day not an alturnative band or are they punk-rock ?

Options
  • 17-09-2005 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

i have no clew iv being trying to find out

so....? plz pm me or jus post back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

staresmiley0xj.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

did you mean GreenGay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

This is amongst the worst threads I've ever seen anywhere, both the thread itself and awful replies...

It all depends on what you consider alternative, really, because that's a fairly relative term. If taken literally it means away from the mainstream, and presuming more than one style of music can be "mainstream" at one time then no, no they're not alternative, they're practically the definition of what isn't.

Calling them "punk-rock" would open the door to all sorts of genre talk, and genre talk is stupid, because every band seems different depending on what angle you look at them from and/or depending on what else you listen to. A lot of Green Day fans would consider the band to be "punk rock" or something similar, while most cynical, staunchly underground **** (like me!) would consider them a marketable version of punk or "pop punk" or some other dismissive phrase. I don't know what the other, more rational people somewhere between those two extremes would think of them but I'm sure that, if they weren't interested, then they just wouldn't be interested instead of wasting their energy making fun of the band and their fans, perhaps to make themselves feel better about their own tastes and way of thinking.

What a long, useless post...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Not punk nor alternative. Just a fun pop rock band. There's nothing wrong with them but when you're talking about a chart band that you hear on the radio everyday you can hardly call them alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

goo wrote:
    instead of wasting their energy making fun of the band and their fans, perhaps to make themselves feel better about their own tastes and way of thinking.

It's not an easy job, but some one of us has to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Most of us, really, this is Alternative & Indie.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭Resurrection

Certainly not punk anymore. I must admit I respected their early stuff but American idiot and the likes is just commercial and pension fund crap. Winning 7 awards only recently I believe from MTV.

I guess it's better than all those RAP and Manufactured **** winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I saw the video for "Warning" on telly just the other day, and I remembered there was only a Greatest Hits album between their overly political new image and their throw-away novelty image from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Winter Slide

Green Day are not alternative or punk-rock. They are what is known as a **** band. You could also call them talentless **** and that they are incompetent musicians. And before anyone mentions the Ramones, they didn't need to be proficient musicians, they had an attitude and sense of humour that Green Day are slightly lacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

ah jaysus.

punk - alturnitive or whatever, they've a few good tunes, loads of crap ones and their biggest album is their 8th.

so y'know, who cares what classification they are?
    its not going to make you like them any more is it?

ps: plz no txtspk. i makes me kill again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭Resurrection

kirn wrote:
    ah jaysus.

punk - alturnitive or whatever, they've a few good tunes, loads of crap ones and their biggest album is their 8th.

so y'know, who cares what classification they are?
    its not going to make you like them any more is it?

ps: plz no txtspk. i makes me kill again.

Music obviously isn't one of your main interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

AltUrnative???! I say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Despite some of the shíte replies in this thread, it's a good question.

I would've consider them pop-punk up to the time of Nimrod, which was such a departure that I would consider alternative rock, although it had some punk stuff.

Warning was more of a folky kind of pop-rock. More alternative to punk here.

American Idiot has punky songs. A return to form perhaps, yet it also has tripe like Boulevard of Broken Dreams which is hardly pop-punk at all.

So I would say both genres, however I'd consider them more of a pop-punk band since the majority of their best stuff is pre-Nimrod, and it's what they're best known for (Dookie > American Idiot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

I reckon they fit into the:

Punk-Rock?
    Pop-Punk?
    Pop-Rock?
    College-Pop?
    Pseudo-Punk?
    Power-Pop-Punk-Ballads?

8 albums, each becoming more and more commercially (ergo popularly) viable, thusly destroying any claims to be alternative, if anything they've been mainstream since Nimrod.

3 power chords + descenting lyrics + giant record label != Punk
    Several top ten hits, radio friendly, MTV playable, aimed at younger audience != Alternative
    Videos with bright colours and general themes aimed at kids and young adults = POP!

Therefore I submit that Green Day are a pop band with rock elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ♪♪punk_rocker♪♪

I call them punk. But that is mostly looking at their older stuff. I still love them though. I'd say they're punk-rock with a dash of pretty-boy-pop!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

they are NOT punk-rock, they are punk-pop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Powerchord after Powerchord...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

One could even say Bubblegum Punk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

They are a punk band no matter how many MTV awards they win and no matter what people who like punk think of them. They were always slightly closer to traditional rock music than their peers and their latest work is probably the least punk album they've recorded (along with Warning) but their roots are still there.
    Certainly not punk anymore. I must admit I respected their early stuff but American idiot and the likes is just commercial and pension fund crap. Winning 7 awards only recently I believe from MTV.
    The fact that American Idiot was commercially successful doesn't mean it was recorded with that in mind. I thought it was one of the most original punk album i've heard in a long time and was delighted when it did as well as it did. It's not often that an album that takes chances actually appeals to people. It's popular to mock Green Day nowadays but American Idiot is only marginally bigger than Dookie was ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Green Day are crunk.

crap punk.

Really though, pop punk.

Never really liked them, esp the vocals. This new "political" direction smacks of cynicism. Nice big bandwagon.

as for alternative, they're about as alternative as marmalde on your toast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

why do the media and people in general insist that every band must be labled to fit into a specific genre?
    punk, pop punk, bubble gum pop punk rock, its all bullsh*t when ya think about it!
    to all the 'die hard' punk fans : so what if green day won awards, thats not a good reason not to listen to them- i mean a good song is a good song regardless of who listens to it or what genre it falls under. ive been listening to greenday for most of their career, and while i always recognised that they were a very radio friendly band , i could never deny that they write great songs. american idiot is a great record, one of the best rock albums ive heard in quite some time. yes theyre appealing to the mainstream right now, but so what? you either like a band or you dont. i mean look at the pixies- how many years have they been called alternative? now im seeing pixies tshirts being worn by people who would have said 'who the f**k are the pixies?' to me less than a 2 years ago, and bono singing their praise on their dvd. so does that mean that the pixies arent 'alternative' anymore???
    if a song rocks and if it appeals to YOU thats a good enough reason to listen to it. F**k the genres and the labeling- to me thats just a marketing ploy.

Advertisement