Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage problem (Two-Tone Beeping)

Options
  • 17-09-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi there,

Attached is a pic of my Abit EQ program. I've inserted two arrows pointing to two voltages which launch into the red and cause two-tone beeping from the MB after I play games.

I'm hoping someone else out there has had the same problem (and has been able to resolve since...).

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My spec is in my signature.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What values do they go to?
    You're PSU is not known for it's line stability. What's likely happening is that when you put pressure on your CPU & RAM they draw more power, and when more power is drawn from the PSU it causes it's lines to fluctuate and maybe weaken. You would be better off with a more stable PSU (eg. Fortron, Seasonic, OCZ, Enermax, Antec etc). TT do not make good, stable PSU's.

If they don't drop too much I would say you could turn off the alarms in the ABIT EQ (I don't know how, but I'm sure that's possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

Cheers for the suggestion WizZard.

They go up to the full amount in both cases.

Attached is a pic of the Temperature & Voltage edit screen, in which I can choose to disable the beeps. Whilst writing this reply, the '3VDual' voltage started to beep again so I unclicked the '3VDual' beep. It's constantly in the red now.

This might be a dumb question, but would it be safe to simply disable the '3.3V' & '3VDual' voltages? Are they powering something that's expendable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

u said these voltages go UP to the max?? That meens it is overvolting. if this is the case u have a dodgy psu if the values are really high. and no you cant disable those voltages, you need 3.3v, 5v and 12v to run the pc

Well it signifies something wrong if they are changing. I can't remember the percentages offhand but I think it's something like ±5% fluctuation is ok, but anything more is dodgy.
    They shouldn't go up, they generally go down.

Nothing was attached to that last post BTW.

Grand so.

If I do choose to purchase a new power supply, which looks quite likely, how do yous feel about this?

Are there any diagnostics I could perform to rule out any other causes behind my current problem? Or are we pretty much certain it's ONLY the power supply that needs replacing? Can we rule out the Motherboard for example?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Great power supply.
    You could probably just turn off the alarms though.

They are going down which could cause BSOD's or other crashes in future if you add/change hardware.

Grand so.

If I do choose to purchase a new power supply, which looks quite likely, how do yous feel about this?

Are there any diagnostics I could perform to rule out any other causes behind my current problem? Or are we pretty much certain it's ONLY the power supply that needs replacing? Can we rule out the Motherboard for example?

Cheers.
    that psu is OK bit overpriced though. the likely cause is the thermaltake psu, they are brutal

Yes, turning off the alarms is fine, but at the same time, I don't want to be potentially damaging any devices over time. I've just recently got a new ATI Graphics Card because my old 6800GT went on the blink after a couple of months.

It wasn't until the other day that I installed the Abit EQ program - which helped me figure out what the problem was. So it's possible that it was the cause of the first card's failure, if in fact there was no monitoring going on, with the program having not been installed. Would this be the case you reckon?

Sorry for all the queries. Just concerned for my PC's well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yes, I have heard people elsewhere saying Thermaltake PSUs are to be avoided also. I know a fella who had big problems with a P4 Prescott system and a 480W TT Purepower that kept tripping off under load. He was using a 3.2 P4 and an AGP 6800GT. That should not be enough to stress a good 480W PSU. A lot of 480Watters are good enough for SLi, like that Antec Neopower or this Tagan which I have myself. The Tagan isn't as costly as the Antec either , I think it was around €95 or thereabouts from Aria.co.uk, though I must say the carriage from Aria is too steep if you are ordering just one item.

Ok, so it's looking like the Antec NeoPower 480 at the moment.

Gline, you mentioned that this power supply is only ok. What would you recommend yourself?

• Advertisement

I'd go for the OCZ Powerstream 520W, or one of the Fortron Source PSU's from Komplett. they all have good records.

WizZard wrote:
    I'd go for the OCZ Powerstream 520W, .

yeh ocz are good or PCP&C psus are SAVAGE, and u can order direct from their site http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

gline wrote:
    yeh ocz are good or PCP&C psus are SAVAGE, and u can order direct from their site http://www.pcpowercooling.com/
    They are fantastic but I think they would be overkill for what is required here. They are expensive, but for a reason.
    They're not supposed to be the quietest either, but I've never owned one so I can't say myself.

WizZard wrote:
    They are fantastic but I think they would be overkill for what is required here. They are expensive, but for a reason.
    They're not supposed to be the quietest either, but I've never owned one so I can't say myself.

same price as an ocz dude, lol
    and the new versions have new silent fans in them, was talking to a reseller about them and there has been a lot of improvements. Pricey alrite but would cost the same as the antec that was recommended. In reality for the rig in question id buy a cheaper psu , something for about 70 yoyos as it doesnt need that much power, UNLESS the OP is thinking of upgrading eventually, then PCP&C or ocz

PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 ATX (cheapest 510W) = 189 + shipping = $236.25 (€194.44)

OCZ 520W = €137 + shipping = €147

How is that the same? :p

WizZard wrote:
    PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 ATX (cheapest 510W) = 189 + shipping = $236.25 (€194.44)

OCZ 520W = €137 + shipping = €147

How is that the same? :p

im not talking about the 510 model that would be extreme overkill. the 425 delux would even do. the 510 has a max output of over 600W (650 peak)and the 425 is 500W (500 Peak). It all dpends on how what the OP wants to do with his system eventually. Wether he wants to OC or go SLI etc

A big selling point for myself would be the fact that the Antec PSU is modular. So I'd only have to use what I need in terms of cables. My Thermaltake case is a mess of wires already, from having seven fans built into it. I didn't really take into account the cable daisy-chaining that went on, which filled up my case.

From the sounds of it, 480W is more than enough to run my system. If you can think of any PSUs that are a lower price and are modular ones, I'd probably be interested in them.

This is my first plunge into the power supply realm, and Antec is a brand I've heard of the most.

I'll make a decision when I get home tonight.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

A big selling point for myself would be the fact that the Antec PSU is modular. So I'd only have to use what I need in terms of cables. My Thermaltake case is a mess of wires already, from having seven fans built into it. I didn't really take into account the cable daisy-chaining that went on, which filled up my case.

From the sounds of it, 480W is more than enough to run my system. If you can think of any PSUs that are a lower price and are modular ones, I'd probably be interested in them.

This is my first plunge into the power supply realm, and Antec is a brand I've heard of the most.

I'll make a decision when I get home tonight.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

ocz do the modstream series which are modular

If it's of any interest to you I have a Seasonic Super Tornado 400W in a box at home. Never used. Originally bought for a HTPC system that hasn't happened. I reckon it would do you powerwise.
    I'd let it go for €70

It's the 400W version of this
    It's not modular though...

WizZard wrote:
    If it's of any interest to you I have a Seasonic Super Tornado 400W in a box at home. Never used. Originally bought for a HTPC system that hasn't happened. I reckon it would do you powerwise.
    I'd let it go for €70

It's the 400W version of this
    It's not modular though...

seasonic are meant to be very good alrite so i hear, sounds like a good deal

• Advertisement

Cheers for the offer WizZard. But I'm definitely going for a modular PSU.

I've cut down the list to two PSUs - the Antec Neopower & the OCZ Modstream.

What would you's choose from these two? The OCZ is slightly cheaper. Hmm......decisions, decisions...

personally id go for the ocz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

The OCz i

The OCZ.
    No probs, just trying to help. Better put it up on the FS forum soon - I might reorganise stuff around my feet first.

...just to let you all know. I actually went for the Antec in the end. And I'm happy to say my system is running sweetly once again. Voltages are all back to normal and are stable.

Thanks for all your help.

John

Great. Congrats!

Advertisement