Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone extension causes phones to buzz

Options
  • 17-09-2005 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this is the right place for this question...

I've just installed a length of 50ft phone extension from one telephone point to a new location in another room. I've hidden the cable behind a newly plastered wall, so it's there for good.

Thing is, when I plug the extension line in the other phones in the house buzz. When I plug it out, the buzz stops.

Any ideas what might be causing this and is there a way I can troubleshoot and resolve this with the existing cable I've laid so nicely hidden in my new walls ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Either a cheap quality or faulty cable, or you have too many phones on your line.

You should have checked this before sealing it behind a wall, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Cheap cable and noise from surrounding electric cables. Maybe you should have used regular twisted pair cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

eth0_ wrote:
    Either a cheap quality or faulty cable, or you have too many phones on your line.

You should have checked this before sealing it behind a wall, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 :P

so no way out then ?

yeah I would have checked in an ideal world, but you wouldn't have believed the rush I was in to get this extension finished so I had to presume a lot and just move on to the next task. If this is the only thing that doesn't work, I'll get over it.

The line was actually for a sky box I'm moving, so I can just plug it in and out every now and then rather than have it in at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

You can get a phone extender which works over the mains power socket, this may be your only way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

A little bit of elimination may help...How many other extensions have you got in the house?
    When you say you used 50m phone extension cable..was this the ready made cable that is already crimped both ends or was it just normal cable going to 2 phone sockets,?
    Anyway the best way to proced is to disconnect all extension sockets & wire your new cable on its own to the feed coming into the house. If you still have noise on that then that cable is definatly the problem..You could try using different pairs to see if it improves, but it sounds like it is running alongside mains & picking up interference from there....
    If it does work on its own then try adding one extension at a time to see when the problem arises....
    Good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

thanks for the feedback. all my other phone points were done by the builders when the house was built and all are fine except this one I just added. Its crimped at both ends and doesn't go near any power cables or sockets.

I will try to troubleshoot it as you suggested. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is it plastered straight in, or is it inside some ducting?
    If its in ducting, attach a piece of string to one end and just pull the fecker out, get some proper phone cable and pull it through via the string, rewire and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

what you could do is
    a) check the socket the cable plugs into.
    b) Get new connectors and a crimping tool and attach new connectors at both ends
    c) just get a crimping tool and recrimp the connectors anyway , just too see if that will help

The problem may be a bad connector at either end or the socket the cable plugs into. Changing any of these 3 may help.
    Also could the new phone at the end of the cable be causing a problem.
    Disconnect that first.

Finally check are there any cuts in the visible parts of the cable or any indication it is damaged...

Advertisement