Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some girls are bigger than others

Options
  • 16-09-2005 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

A musical featuring the songs of The Smiths with six performers and a live string quartet is on The Olympia twice nightly ( 7pm,9.30 pm) between October 6-15th as part of the Dublin theatre festival.

Supposed to be magic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

How unusual, unexpected and excellent.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

wow, sounds brilliant!

*is "so" there*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark.e.smith

excellent indeed, sounds awfully interesting, a lot more interesting than going to see morrissey in the point i suspect

Sacrilege!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

this sounds like it sits on the Absolute ****e/Absolute Genius axis.

might have to check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Yay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 garypope

hmmnnn, this sounds terrible.

i'd prefer to just listen to 'strangeways...'

i bet marr + moz agree - its money in the bank! midlle aged middle class people reliving their cool youth...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

They don`t need the money for what would be only peanuts to them.

Both have refused permission for countless things over the years so their permission is a good sign.

By the way the dates from 6-1oth have been axed and if you tickets for them you are due a refund, and re book tickets for the next week shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just saw a bit of it on The View on RTE. It looks a bit conceptual for my liking.

Interesting. Though a musical has to be conceptual by its very nature No ?

Heading to it on Saturday. Anyone seen it yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Heard the musicans on Today FM ealier this week, maybe last week. They were really ****ing good, did Please, please,please, let me get what I want.
    I'm going just to hear the girl who sung that.....
    The fella that came up with the idea said Morrisey was quite happy with them using the music and offered to right new lyrics if needed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Oh people go! go! Oh no wait tonight was the last night, ah well. I t was sooo cool. Singers were amazing and so were the string quartet that played...mmm such good music and singers. It had a little bit of everything. Twas only deadly!

It was Amazing wasnt it ?`

Quite simply majestic.

One of the best things I was ever at. Totally blown away.

Singers were perfect as was the string quartet and the general nature of the show was sublime.

Was there meant to be a story?

What were the quotes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz84

I have to disagree with the sentiment of the majority and say that I didn't like it.

Although I thought it was well done, really well choreographed and the actors are obviously talented folk, I just didn't 'get' it. I wasn't feeling a connection with any of the songs, which disturbed me because they're my favourite songs in the world. It just wasn't the same hearing them sung differently.

Having said that, I applaud the group for making such a brave move to cover these songs. I just personally didn't like it.

What I will say, though, is that the American girl did an absolutely wonderful job of singing 'Back To The Old House'. It was incredibly sung, and gave me goosebumps. That was the highlight for me.

I agree with this chap ^^^ I must say.

It had merit in the same way that Apocalyptica has merit to Metallica fans...

But as a musical, like... it didn't make any sense, it was just a variety of strangely choreographed and well-sung Smiths songs with a string quartet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

Fantstic show, the highlight of the theatre Festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

Excellent show.Very heartwarming.

I have to ask if you dont like somebody else singing the songs why the hell did you go in the first place ???:rolleyes:

Everyone of them was superb with the black girl been the icing on the cake.

Karlusss wrote:
    I agree with this chap ^^^ I must say.

Chap-ess ;)

marwood wrote:

I have to ask if you dont like somebody else singing the songs why the hell did you go in the first place ???:rolleyes:

Bit of an unwarranted agressive response there..

I went out of sheer curiosity, I suppose. Does there have to be a deep and meaningful reason?

And I didn't say that I didn't like other people singing the songs, just that it wasn't the same. I think the Smiths are one of the few bands who always sound badly covered, no matter who's attempting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marwood

Loz84 wrote:
    Bit of an unwarranted agressive response there..

I went out of sheer curiosity, I suppose. Does there have to be a deep and meaningful reason?

And I didn't say that I didn't like other people singing the songs, just that it wasn't the same. I think the Smiths are one of the few bands who always sound badly covered, no matter who's attempting it.

Sorry to sound aggressive !

But it is basically the same thing saying you dont like anyone doing a cover version ?

marwood wrote:
    Sorry to sound aggressive !

But it is basically the same thing saying you dont like anyone doing a cover version ?

No, I don't like anyone covering The Smiths, that's true.

But I did admit that they were brave for trying, and were talented singers. It just doesn't sound the same coming from anyone but Morrissey. :)

Advertisement