Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY & new house

Options
  • 16-09-2005 3:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My g/f and I are moving into our new place in the next month or so, and there will be lots of little DIY things for me to do, like hanging shelves, blinds etc.

The only real problem is that I am the least handy person around - can anyone recommend any good pointers, resources, or "dummies" guide to DIY type things?

thanks in advance,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I've found the Collins DIY manual to be absolutely indispensable. Wouldn't ever contemplate any project no matter how small without consulting it first. It will save many times its price in avoiding costly mistakes!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I've found the Collins DIY manual to be absolutely indispensable. Wouldn't ever contemplate any project no matter how small without consulting it first. It will save many times its price in avoiding costly mistakes!!

Good call Gordon,
    impressed, :cool:

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Yeah, the Collins manual is very good, and is on sale for 10 sterling in amazon at the moment.

This B&Q one is supposed to be good too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0500511365/qid=1126890390/br=3-1/br_lfncs_b_1/202-1246247-3028633

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmmmmmm,

Collins Eh ? what's his phone number :)

Eoin my advice on this has been proven right for years by the number of men who come up to me whispering ;)

"Howya Pete ? I'll never know why I didn't listen when Ye told me not to buy that hammer and de cordless drill" :D:D

While I don't own the Collins manual, I would be a fool not to agree with Gordon and Kadman, my library includes a lot of first editions.

No drooling Kadman :) because I work on a lot of old properties my favourite is a five volume set "Practical Handywork For All" by Stubbs and Reed, published by Waverley Technical Encyclopedias, all hardback around 1930 in mint condition.

Sorry for going O/T Eoin,

A visit to Mc Quillans in Capel Street or Blanchardstown Town Centre could be very usefull they have loads of tools but they have some not too expensive sets of tools for the Handyman.

When buying a hammer I would recommend a 16 ounce, just heavy enough for most jobs but not too light either, a cordless drill that combines as a screwdriver and important for the new apartment or house can be a stud, pipe, and electric wire finder for checking before you drive that nail or drill a hole ;)

Best of luck in your new home.

rooferPete wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmm,

No drooling Kadman :) because I work on a lot of old properties my favourite is a five volume set "Practical Handywork For All" by Stubbs and Reed, published by Waverley Technical Encyclopedias, all hardback around 1930 in mint condition.

aw gaw on, gaw on ,gaw on Rooferpete,

Dont start bragging about yer book collection, I reckon I could give you a run for your money on that one. Being an avid collector of all things woodwork back to 1720. :cool: Books and tools. :rolleyes:

Collins manual is an excellent source of good info and tips for the general diyer. And I,m impressed that some one is going for the expert information first , and then tackling the job after. Proper route.

So Rooferpete, if you need some good roofing reference material going back past our birthdays :D:D:D let me know. Although you probably wrote the bloody thing .. ;);)

• Advertisement

Hi Kadman,

Y'all wouldn't be referring to a first edition "Roof Slating and Tiling" By Frank Bennett and Alfred Pinion ?

Bib on :)

"The Modern Carpenter And Joiner" by Harry Bryant Newbold F.R.I.B.A. with Special Sections on the use of the steel square by Harold Ryder

Volume's 1, 2, & 3

First editions although they were used over their long life, what I do find very interesting is the basic principles of "Good Workmanship" has never changed, the tools and some of the methods changed but the basics of all jobs has stayed the same.

OK Tools :D

Brades Slaters Ripper and many more in everyday use, as far as I know Brades were taken over around 1872.

I bought another Brades Ripper that was never used it still has the little raised spots of metal on the blade that would have been worn away with a couple of uses.

Afraid to mention figures :D:D

Hi Rooferpete,

I prefer more technical reading like " Handrailing and Staircasing " by Frank O Creswell c. 1896 :rolleyes:

Or perhaps " A treatise on the Principle Mathematical drawing Instruments " by F.W.Simms,
    c. 1865 :rolleyes:

Or " The Elementary Princples, Theoretical and Practical of Carpentry " by Professor Robison and Thos. Theobold., c 1869. :cool:

And me old prize posession, an ebony and brass brace, by David Flather, c 1720.

Not to foget me old museum piece, a Disston rip saw 34 " late 1800's, purchased for the princely sum of 5E, and priced at 400E :p

Sorry for going off topic, and off course me old Collins manual, c 2005

OK Kadman,

I give up if if we keep going like this poor Eoin will end up stressed out, :D and maybe even annoyed cause this is his thread ;)

Can't forget my "Belding" slating hammer though, every home should have one :D

Rooferpete,
    Touche mon ami, ;)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What I have found very useful is a good laser chalkline/level.
    Not to be confused with a true spinning laser level, this is a small thing that projects a laser line along a wall.
    Invaluable for getting things plumb and level, and cheap as well.
    Sometimes it is hard to see in bright sunlight but coming into winter it should be easier to read...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I've the Readers Digest DIY manual. Very handy, although I do seem to have picked up a lot in a relatively short time.

Would also recommend a laser level, like the Black and Decker ones. Great for putting up curtain poles, shelves, wall lights etc - best time saving device in my tool box anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi folks,

Thanks a million for all the replies.
    I will most likely give "treatise on the Principle Mathematical drawing Instruments" a miss, but Collins manual sounds good - I presume this is the one?

Eoin

Advertisement