Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...Hibernian policy holders....car OR bike....IMPORTANT

Options
  • 16-09-2005 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

...if you are an existing policy holder with Hibernian, then you may be interested to know that my wife's car renewal came out yesterday, and it has had the DOV (Driving Other Vehicles) clause amended.

Basically, that clause said "....driving any other car (or motorcycle)..". This has been on the policy for years.

Now, however, they have deleted the reference to motorcycle from the clause. My wife is livid. She probably only used it.....once?....in the last two years, but at least it was there.

They say in keeping with their complete pull-out from the motorcycle market, they are withdrawing this element. They are also NOT reducing the cost of insurance. So, effectively, it's gone up. Again.

This from an insurance industry that announced record profits of Eur330m yesterday.

We've had the row with them, and the calls, and basically we've been told to take our business elsewhere.

I'd appreciate if any of you who have any car, house, motorcycle, travel, business or other policies with Hibernian, to complain to them. If your wife/husband/mother/father/sister or cousin has insurance with them, I'd ask you to ask them to do the same.

If you can, and you get a competitive quote - move your insurance. That's the only thing that hurts these guys - Euros. Actually, even is the other quote is close, I'd move it anyway.

The lady I dealt with is Irene Gallagher, and she wasn't for turning on the subject, and failed singularly to acknowledge the legitimacy of my complaint. If you are so inclined, you can also contact Brian Dooley at Hibernian on the same subject.

Phone : 01 6078000
    www.hibernian.ie

I'd earnestly ask you to take 10 mins to do this...............you never know what might happen.

John M
    Galway

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Curious. I only got my hibernian policy last month and the motorcycle section was left in*. That said, I'm with Tesco, and the policy handbook, etc etc was branded tesco, so maybe they've to catch up.

*I'm actually very happy to have it there - my CN bike policy doesn't cover me for other bikes, so Hib's policy allows me to test drive mates' bikes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eye

In all fairness it was pretty obvious that it was going to happen, i mean they can't exactly pull out of the bike insurance market but still cover people who have their car insurance with them so that they are covered on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Do any other car insurers allow driving other people's bikes or was it unique to Hibernian?

Either way they are reducing the coverage so a premium reduction should be in order. One of the bullsh1t lines the various companies always drag up when accused of over charging in relation to others is that they probably have better cover and more extras.

The problem with boycotting one company is that they are all as bad as each other and are running a virtual cartel in this country. There are only a small number of insurers, most of the companies are just re-sellers of the major insurers products.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's complete b0ll0cks that they are reducing cover, yet charging the same and have the cheek to act like it's no big deal.

JohnR-I've never heard of anyone other than Hibernian in recent memory doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

John R - I know boycotts haven't worked traditionally on this, because we're a captive audience, and we've always tried to get 100% or bust.

No, I'm being much more modest on this - if only a handful of people did it, and told the people above why.....well that's 5 more unhappy calls they get today, which might register.....eventually.

As for they just being re-sellers - maybe so, but at least THEY won't get to collect the commission...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

John R wrote:
    Do any other car insurers allow driving other people's bikes or was it unique to Hibernian?

Hey lads and lassies, first post here so hopefully it will be of some help.

I have a car policy with AXA and it mentions motorbikes in its Any Other Vechicle section.

So basically i can drive anybody elses bike with their permission on my car insurance :D:D

Advertisement