Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CL1.5 memory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You could probably tune good TCCD sticks to 1.5CAS at DDR400 by upping the voltage a smidge. It's mainly a marketing ploy from what I've read. You really won't seem much difference over CAS2 (all others being equal) and would probably be better off running the ram slightly overclocked with CAS2 timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

SyxPak is right. AMD processors don't actually support a CAS of below 2. I've seen people run at CAS 1 and claim an increase, but I would doubt it.
    Anandtech wrote:
    The new DFI nForce4 boards support CAS 1.5 as a BIOS choice, and possibly a few other high-end boards. CAS 1.5 sounds impressive, but AMD tells us that they do not support CAS 1.5 in their on-chip memory controller. And the memory controller is on the AMD chip after all - and not on the motherboard. Our own tests several weeks ago comparing CAS 1.5 and CAS 2.0 on the DFI board did not find any performance difference in these two CAS timings using an AMD processor

That's good RAM though from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,220 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The lads are right. I looked into buying this ram a while ago but several reviews showed no performance increase over other TCCD ram. I ended up buying a matched pair of OCZ Platinum TCCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

the mushkin redline can be ran @ cas 1.5 and it only shows a tiny to no increase

gline wrote:
    the mushkin redline can be ran @ cas 1.5 and it only shows a tiny to no increase
    For the technical reasons mentioned above. You can probably get any good OC'ing RAM to do CAS 1.5, but why would you when the benefits are negligible?

• Advertisement

Because manufacturers (and more specifically, their marketing brood) have realised that the PC enthusiast market is similar to the car enthusiast market. Ie there are no-brain ricers in both who'll shell out for the idea and image of performance without stopping to think for 5 seconds about the actual benefits (if any) of this shiney new product which claims to offer super peformance features.

"Oh it must be good, look at how much it costs".
    Price Vs. Performance/Aethetics/Functionality should be the defining factor in any modder's purchase. You really really don't need to spend 4 grand to get a top-line box.

SyxPak wrote:
    You really really don't need to spend 4 grand to get a top-line box.
    i agree, But you need to spend that or more to be the best, LOL

SyxPak wrote:
    "Oh it must be good, look at how much it costs".
    Why do I get the feeling that SyxPak believes that I am firmly in this bracket? :p

WizZard wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling that SyxPak believes that I am firmly in this bracket? :p
    ditto,

LOL

Not at all lads, I'm just abhor'd at some of the gross excesses I see some people wasting money on. I'm firmly a mid-to-high-end gamer. I buy the best price-performance tech I can, settle into it, and then start tweaking the hell out of it. I don't go for the most expensive components from the get-go. That is completely contrary to what overclocking and modding mean, to me at least. It's about getting the most performance and best asthetics and style for the least amount of financial outlay possible.
    Then again, I'm only in my first job after college and I don't have a spare hundred quid to spend on tech every week ;)

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Then again, I'm only in my first job after college and I don't have a spare hundred quid to spend on tech every week ;)

ul learn .. soon it will be quad cpu rigs and twin 7800GTX's etc, LOL

ah no.. agreed it is the best bang for buck is what most overclockers go for, thats why i am looking into fx55 vs fx57.. its looking like the extra $300-$400 for the 57 maybe not worth it ;)

fx55. No contest.
    10% increase in stock clock for a what...60% increase in price? Especially if you're buying this with the express intention of overclocking, buy the cheaper one :)

SyxPak wrote:
    fx55. No contest.
    10% increase in stock clock for a what...60% increase in price? Especially if you're buying this with the express intention of overclocking, buy the cheaper one :)

"60% increase in price" thats not true, more like 25% increase in price and it depends if i can overclock it any higher than the fx55 as it will be on the mach 2

Overclock "potential" is bollocks. Aside from having access to trays were you can hand-pick your core, the rating has about as much bearing on the "potential" as a pube from your balls. Enthusiast computing is a mix of reading-up and black magic. Pull up your pants and buy the fx55 and then see how high you can get it with your kit.

SyxPak wrote:
    Overclock "potential" is bollocks. Aside from having access to trays were you can hand-pick your core, the rating has about as much bearing on the "potential" as a pube from your balls. Enthusiast computing is a mix of reading-up and black magic. Pull up your pants and buy the fx55 and then see how high you can get it with your kit.

well if i could get an extra 100mhz ot of the fx57 id buy (even if i "thought" i could id buy it) at only 200-300dollars extra why not its within my budget :D

SyxPak wrote:
    Overclock "potential" is bollocks. Aside from having access to trays were you can hand-pick your core, the rating has about as much bearing on the "potential" as a pube from your balls. Enthusiast computing is a mix of reading-up and black magic.
    Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

*Inhales breath*
    //rant//
    Teehee the ethics of overclocking its an age old debate that when its supposed to all be about pushing the low end parts to the high end specs. But that idea kinda goes out the window when ya start talking about Mach11 GT's and Prommys and cascades on FX57's with two hundred euro PSU's.
    //rant over//

ps.. FX55(",)

*Inhales breath*
    //rant//
    Teehee the ethics of overclocking its an age old debate that when its supposed to all be about pushing the low end parts to the high end specs. But that idea kinda goes out the window when ya start talking about Mach11 GT's and Prommys and cascades on FX57's with two hundred euro PSU's.
    //rant over//

ps.. FX55(",)

LOL.. yep age old debate alright, been had many a time on boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Hence me curtailing it to a rant!

Hence me curtailing it to a rant!
    good man :D

• Advertisement

Rant on Sir, Rant on!

Advertisement