Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new invention for VOIP users

Options
  • 16-09-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

It works as follows.

You get a VOIP account eg blueface.

This Gadget plugs into your router like an ATA unit.

You buy PAYG cards form all the mobile networks you regularly (vodafone, o2, meteor) call for about €10 each and top them up with a fiver.

Connect your normal home phone to the Gadget.

Now, come the good bit.
    You make an out going call from your normal phone. The gadget detacts what network it is calling. It uses the sim card for the apropriate network to make the call or just the normal ip phone whichever is the cheapest. (obviously you have to set it up to use whichever card you want for which network.)

Net result. Cheaper calls.
    Side effect, you have to turn off own number sending or people will get all different numbers for you. Positive for having lots of numbers is that people can call whichever is cheapest for them to call and your home phone rings anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have you a link to this gadget? sounds interesting, can I use my home phone to send texts through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

Do this device actually exist? Or are you suggesting that this device would be a good invention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

It esists only in my head at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Newshound wrote:
    It esists only in my head at the moment

And on a Public Forum.

'Hope you weren't thinking of protecting your concept, because you've just shot that one chance dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 faustian

That invention actually exists however as a standalone for personal use, not really cost effective. O2 sells a simplified example for business users to connect to their PBX etc
    http://web.o2.ie/business/services/cost_control/mobile_line.jsp

It's called a GSM engine. Number portability actually brought an end to most of the savings as unless you're subscribed to the database containing network details (couple of thousand per year), you can't see what network you're supposed to be calling.

Termination rates vary widely between operators, check Eircom's RIO for details, and if you're sending thousands of minutes could be worth the investment. Alternatively, you could just use three sims and three phones, woops 4, and call using whichever one is available, would certainly cut down on R&D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

With an Asterisk server (software PBX) equipped with a PSTN adapter connected to three

GSM Gateways for each mobile network. you can have this idea work.
    I tried this with one GSM adapter so that all outbound calls starting with 08 would route thru the GSM adapter. Then any regular calls (land line numbers) went to Blueface.ie.

Can work out cheaper for business that make alot of mobile calls. it's not too hard to setup all you need is the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have this setup - hardly new.

Asterisk + SIM + Nokia Adapter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This sounds a lot like IPdrum as far as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 faustian

True, but unless you know what network you're calling you can't determine which sim to route it through. Before number portability you could have sent to 085, 086, 087 with confidence that it was a same network number as your sim and resultantly cost the same price. Number portability means you don't know what network you're calling unless you're subscribed to the database and check each call against this before routing. Too expensive for most businesses to implement other than to route by 087, 086, 085 to their predominant network and hope the costs offset themselves. I've seen it myself with my 087 number ported to Meteor still being charged at Vodafone surcharges with calling card providers, obviously assuming this too or billing systems not linked to databases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Metor and Vodafone now offer their minutes to all networks including landline numbers Also the same call rates after that which means only one SIM adepter would do to call all the mobile phone networks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Newshound wrote:
    You buy PAYG cards...

Is there much of a saving nowadays calling via
    PayAsYouGo mobile to mobile
    over Landline to mobile?

I switched to a contract mobile phone ages ago because PayAsYouGo was so expensive.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

You would actually lose money using this idea! :p

If you did a price chart you would have figured this out! Do your home work!! :D

Advertisement