Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I have finally gone mad

Options
  • 16-09-2005 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Well it was time to change the old panzer vagen.
    After years of driving older but getting newer bmw's, I have had enough.
    I love bmw's silky smooth 6 cylinder engines, lovley rear wheel drive balance.
    Grip levels that beat my nerves.
    I have always loved the 5 series understated elegance, It's touring car lines, and it's aggresive stance.
    These things made up for all it's failures.
    I could live with fact something new would break this month, because driving the car hard on a wet country road would put a smile on my face.
    Then came the new 5 series, a gawdy look at all the money i have shape, no elegance no nice lines. And although out of my budget at the moment, they would have to get a bit older, that would be my future.
    I decided to jump ship.
    I knew I needed rear wheel drive, this narrowed the field a lot.
    I also knew i needed a car that moved me when i set eyes on it, before i even got in.
    So began my descent into madness, Tommorow morning when I wake up there will be a Mercedes in the driveway.
    God help us all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Haha, thought you were going to say MX5 there at the end :)
    What type of Merc then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

stratos wrote:
    Tommorow morning when I wake up there will be a Mercedes in the driveway. God help us all!
    So you've gone to Mercedes looking for better quality than BMW? God help you indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Lad you need a Honda S2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

kluivert wrote:

Oh yes please. More power per litre than any other non-turbo engine. Fantastic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

S2000 . . m m m m m m !! :D

Totally agree on the new 5 series, chap in work bought one, something about the back wheels and arches just don't look right.

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

kluivert wrote:

I just sold an old Merc to get an oldish one of those. Best. Car. Ever. (assuming you aren't super-loaded).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

S2000 ... drool.... I just sold my Civic TypeR and was seriously eyeing one of these up. However the missus was having none of it as it wouldn't take a baby seat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

ZENER wrote:
    S2000 . . m m m m m m !! :D

Totally agree on the new 5 series, chap in work bought one, something about the back wheels and arches just don't look right.

ZEN

Watched a spot-on review of the new 5-series on driven - that annoying hairy fecker hit the nail on the head - he said it's like a girl who's really fit except she's got a big nose - you definately would on the sly, but you wouldn't be hugely proud to admit it in public - you know it does't look quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well it was time to change my commuting solution.
    After years of driving an MX-5.
    I love Mazda's bonkers RPM-happy 1.8 engine tied with a lovely rear wheel drive balance.
    Grip levels that beat my nerves.
    I have always loved the MX-5 series understated elegance, It's touring car lines, and it's aggresive stance.
    These things made up for all it's failures.
    I could live with fact something new would break this month, because driving the car hard on a wet country road would put a smile on my face.
    Then came the new MX-5 series, messed-up the car's own perma-grin with non-pop headlights, re-designed grille and ever-so-slightly 'curvier' look.
    I decided to jump ship.
    I knew I needed a non-car but non-public solution, this narrowed the field a lot.
    I also knew i needed cheap to run solution that moved me when i set eyes on it, before i even got in.
    So began my descent into madness, every morning this week when I woke up there has been an EVT electric scooter in the driveway.
    God help us all!

;):D

The Mx is under tarps tho'
    jayok wrote:
    However the missus was having none of it as it wouldn't take a baby seat! :D

Mistake #01 - You shoulda let her test-drive it
    Mistake #02 - You shoulda suggested an inexpensive runabout as well for family outings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Mistake #01 - You shoulda let her test-drive it
    Mistake #02 - You shoulda suggested an inexpensive runabout as well for family outings

LOL... I tried to get her into it to try but considering she would never go above 40mph in the CTR, I didn't see much point.

Already have the runabout (her car) for the family days out, I think I just need to work on the idea of me in a two seater and her following :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

you'll fall asleep driving that merc.

it's got the badge though, and that counts for alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

jayok wrote:
    LOL... I tried to get her into it to try but considering she would never go above 40mph in the CTR, I didn't see much point.

see... for the laydeez, it's not about speed/mad RPM/RWD/stuff like that. It's about open-top motoring. Not a question of it being the point, but of putting all the chances of success on your side ;)
    jayok wrote:
    Already have the runabout (her car) for the family days out

But do you already have sprog(s)?
    If yes, then a harder case to crack (but not impossible).
    If no, then killer argument:"let's do it now, else we never will... or in 20-odd years time when the kids are flying on their own"
    jayok wrote:
    I think I just need to work on the idea of me in a two seater and her following ,:)

I'm beginning to think you're a lost cause, there, somehow... :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which model is it? Whatever it is you should have bought w124 series 260/300e!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,155 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stratos wrote:
    Tommorow morning when I wake up there will be a Mercedes in the driveway

I don't understand you feel like you've gone mad :confused:

It is an S430 / S500 V8 petrol for sure? Haven't driven one yet but some boards users like 528i assure it is a good drivers car

Or perhaps you are pretty affluent and you bought a new merc? Feck me, why have I still not driven the bro-in-law's CLS 350? Nice car for sure

Have to say I'm not that impressed with your knowingly withholding information to arouse discussion. Seems to work, but only to a certain extent :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Sorry I forgot to say what type, as to a bmw driver it doesn't matter, all mercs are boring soft cars.
    It's a 5 year old clk 200 komp.
    The mx 5 was good too, as you couldn't hear the baby cry in the boot. :)
    I haven't put too many miles on it yet.
    First opinions are quick, quicker than the 520i. ( I may be wrong guess i'll be corrected ).
    It doesn't inspire me with confidence on wet twisty stuff, but that may be i'm not used to it yet, steering is very twitchy and lacks feel.
    The whole thing actually lacks feel, unlike the bimmer.
    Lets hope it breaks less often than my old bimmers, though I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Nice car if a little wooley, unkel seems to have run a 7 series reliably for several years, so not allbmws are unrelaible. to be honest i dont think merc are any moor relaible of that age see http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/
    best of luck with it though, its a nice car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I can't believe how anyone would trade a BMW for a Mercedes! Modern Mercedes cars are rubbish( 1.3 million recalled in the first six months of this year, if i'm not mistaken) Having owned loads of Mercedes cars over the years the older ones were very well built but the new ones are terrible and the dealers couldn't care less. BMW are the best by far and are more of a drivers car in my view. I am now on number eight, but it has to be said that the styling of the new ones are a bit iffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

stratos wrote:
    It's a 5 year old clk 200 komp.

Gentlemen, we have a hairdresser among us.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thats not a hairdressers car - the SLK on the other hand is so ghey it sits down to do its weewee. The CLK drives like a cast iron bathtub powered by a dumptruck engine, suspended on a wooden frame with piles of leaves at each corner to absorb the bumps. If you have no interest in cars you will love it (my boss has one). His one has been back three times this year to have the power roof fixed after it stuck half way up/down. Enjoy!!

'c

did you want a wash with that cut sir ? :)
    Yea and i agree with the bmw comments, I know the bmw was a better car, but i have had just too many problems with em', it ground me down.
    Well at least i can grate cheese on the front grill.

• Advertisement

If you want to get fit buy a Mercedes, you will spend most of your time walking or pushing it! Soft tops may be for hairdressers but they make V8's too you know!

Thanks for the good wishes Lomb think i'm gonna need em.

Good luck with the Merc any way stratos, the odd good one may have slipped through quality control! P.S. Don't forget to keep a spare fuel pump in the boot!

stratos wrote:
    It's a 5 year old clk 200 komp

Nice car :)
    junkyard wrote:
    I can't believe how anyone would trade a BMW for a Mercedes! Modern Mercedes cars are rubbish

It surely is starting to look like that :(

A '00 Merc is still a reliable car and not one of the modern ones with problems
    mike65 wrote:
    Gentlemen, we have a hairdresser among us

Ah now, Mike! Go away out of that. The original CLK is yet another classic Mercedes coupe building on and faithful to previous models dating back decades. A truely gorgeous car that will indeed become a classic, no doubt

@stratos, what problems did you have with your 520 and what year was it? BMWs are generally very reliable and extremely well built cars. For many decades the 5-series also has been without a doubt the best drivers car in it's class. BMWs tend to be driven hard though. Did you buy it new (probably not) and if you bought it second hand, did you vet it properly? I hazard a guess you didn't.

Mind you my '96 BMW with over 200.000 kilometers on the clock is near-perfect but failed its NCT because "Cliath" on the numberplate was fading a little bit. Obviously it is not roadworthy :rolleyes:
    stratos wrote:
    The mx 5 was good too, as you couldn't hear the baby cry in the boot. :)

:eek: Haven't got myself to try that solution yet

The last good Merc I had was 95 S600, although it never broke down it immobilised itself and left me high and dry and had to tow it. I had an S320 after that in 00 and the thing was a disaster with electrical problems, so I wouldn't go back. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Mercedes, no no just god dam it man no....

The S2000 as someone championed, hmmmmm yes now there is a car and a half.

Ever see Clarkson test driving the CL65 AMG last season? Fastest car in production (at the time) and while driving it the back of the seat broke and he could move it anyway he wanted. By the time he was finished the indicators didn't work and the sun roof was stuck open! That after 1 day of driving from a 140,000 machine!

junkyard wrote:
    The last good Merc I had was 95 S600, although it never broke down it immobilised itself and left me high and dry and had to tow it. I had an S320 after that in 00 and the thing was a disaster with electrical problems, so I wouldn't go back. :(

nice car the s600 :) , anyway yes the new shell s class had severe problems especially if the command module was fitted. they may have sorted them out by now but i dont know.

the only real flaw with the old s class was the air con evaporator, cost 3000 euro to replace and all needed replacing within 7 years. the whole dash needs to come out. also the 3.2 liter often leaked oil at the gaskets for some reason. abused ones suffered auto box failure and they need religious gearbox oil replacement.
    other than that it was and is a top car.

lomb wrote:
    the 3.2 liter often leaked oil at the gaskets for some reason. abused ones suffered auto box failure and they need religious gearbox oil replacement

Indeed. I love the germanic looks of the (now) previous S-class. I was driven in one a few months ago and a lot of bits were broken (indicators, stalks, mirrors, etc). Also it was the petrol 3.2. I'd never buy that anyway

unkel wrote:
    Indeed. I love the germanic looks of the (now) previous S-class. I was driven in one a few months ago and a lot of bits were broken (indicators, stalks, mirrors, etc). Also it was the petrol 3.2. I'd never buy that anyway

tis a lovely car for sure, parts were never cheap though, mercman in the uk say they make most of their money breaking old shell s classes, simply because mercedes parts are so dear and old especially crashed ones would be nearly free. wouldnt be as light on the petrol either as your 7 series unkel, also
    for example a throttle body (electronic slide) is 3000 euros and thats the part only a
    nd all 6 liter v12s need new ones every 80000 miles! stear well clear of any s class with hydro pneumatic suspension. the nitrogen spheres always end up leaking and the suspension collapses, that or the suspension defaults to the sports mode permanently due to an error code. to give you an idea very few s600s have their suspension working correctly.but i drove a 96 s320 and i felt like king of the road, id say with a 5 liter v8 ud feel like the supreme commander of the universe, superb cars... stick with a non air suspension s420 or s500 and enjoy :D

• Advertisement

Just to ansewer Unkels questions, well I have owned a number of 520i's, from the e36 to e39.
    They all gave problems and the same problems.
    Nothing serious, well apart from one nikasil engine.
    It was just stuff like electric windows failing, the airbag system on the e39 was a nightmare, fuel tank pump seal failed,buttons fell off.
    The grill fell off one 520i i had, most of it was stuff i could fix myself.
    The e36 I found was impossible to keep water in the engine, but no obvious leak, and leaking fuel pipes at the injectors.
    The best was the remote boot lid actuator stopped working, I was qouted 500 euro's for a new one.
    The plastic operating shaft had snapped, superglued for 2.50 !
    In the cars defence I live in a rural area and the roads are very bad, they would pound lesser cars into dust in no time.

I don't expect my Mercedes experience to be any better, but I had to give it a try, and also i am dissapointed at bmw for ruining the 5 series.
    I will miss chucking a car the size of a family saloon into a corner, as if it was a 2 seater sports car.

Advertisement