Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Starter DIY Project?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Lately I've been getting into the old DIY (mainly the usual painting and decorating, but reading up on loads of other things), and was wondering if these two projects would be suitable for a novice DIYer.

The first project I was thinking of was tiling my bathroom, there's a new suite installed already, and I've been reading and talking to people about the work involved in tiling it, and it seems to sound handy enough - even other tilers and DIYers were telling me it's handy, so what do you think? Anyone done it, and is it handy enough?

Second project was laying wooden floors, either semi solid (which again I heard was a piece of piss) or solid (which I heard was a little trickier)?

I'm one of those people who likes to try doing stuff for themselves rather than just pay someone else to do it, and the finished results are always worth it. What do you think, should I give these two jobs a go? I've read up on the method, but any tips n tricks to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Tiling, do your setting out and then do it again and maybe do it again after that. A error in setting out can seldom be recovered when tiling.

Wooden floors, one of the golden rules is to leave the gap under the skirting board to allow for expansion and also to follow the acclimatisation of the wood in the room to the letter.

When diy "ing" I have always found the different advice from the "experts" to be the biggest head wrecker. I do my research, talk to people, make up my own mind and just go for it.

Advertisement