Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motion sensor light

Options
  • 15-09-2005 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im trying to put a motion sensor light at the rear of the house. Im not 100% sure on how I will do exactly but I was thinking just lead a wire from a light point in the roof/attack drop it out under the slatting and down the wall then attach it to light.

That sound ok does anyone reckon?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Chaos wrote:
    Hey,

Im trying to put a motion sensor light at the rear of the house. Im not 100% sure on how I will do exactly but I was thinking just lead a wire from a light point in the roof/attack drop it out under the slatting and down the wall then attach it to light.

Chaos, these outdoor halogen lights normally are 500W, so not sure if they'd be too much for a light ring...maybe others could assist here. I'd have the light on a switch aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

they should be ok off a lighting circuit, but the one thing to remember is to have a permanant feed at the halogen light, so to allow the sensor to do the job of switching on and off.
    most people have them on a switch but have to remember to leave the switch on.

and dont wire it in flex, if it heading outside the norm is to use 1.5 NYMJ Cable, because of its durability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

sparky_s!! the norm is to have an electrician to do it...!!!

not to beat about the bush but electricity does kill!!!

come january as far as i know, you will need an electrical certificate for your house insurance...same as england!!! correct me if i'm wrong...

Chaos wrote:
    Hey,

ok.. chaos you have to be 100% with electricity!!

so first knock off your m.c.b.s for your loghts at the fuseboard..then from the nearest light switch take a positive feed from the switch to the outside light position.. then from the nearest light position take a neutral and earth from that position to the outside light position...as sparky_s said any outside cable clipped to a wall has to be nymj type... 3x1.5 for light circuits..this is used so that the cable doesn't degrade with uv. light...

if you have any doubt call an electrician....

stag39 wrote:
    sparky_s!! the norm is to have an electrician to do it...!!!

not to beat about the bush but electricity does kill!!!

come january as far as i know, you will need an electrical certificate for your house insurance...same as england!!! correct me if i'm wrong...

Yes you are correct the norm would be to get an electrician, im an electrican, and yes houses will need a cert for the insurance, especially the rented ones.

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:
    Yes you are correct the norm would be to get an electrician, im an electrican, and yes houses will need a cert for the insurance, especially the rented ones.

also a sparky...sorry if i stepped on your toes... ;)

stag39 wrote:
    also a sparky...sorry if i stepped on your toes... ;)
    ah your grand, but your right tho, you have to be 100% when dealing with mains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hey Sparks x 2
    Do you mean that all existing houses will have to be RECI certified for insurance companies???
    t

tapest wrote:
    Hey Sparks x 2
    Do you mean that all existing houses will have to be RECI certified for insurance companies???
    t

Not specifically RECI, there is also ECSSA, but its a cert to prove that the wiring is up to code and current standards, i personally havnt seen a cert yet, but we have had to do a report on conditions of wiring etc for some landlords of rented accomodation.

had to do a cert last week for a remorgage of a house...so if anyone has one for a house hang on to it!!!

• Advertisement

stag39 wrote:
    had to do a cert last week for a remorgage of a house...so if anyone has one for a house hang on to it!!!

hey stag is it a completion cert with just you saying your just testing the installation or is it a special cert?

We have heard of this thing for the insurance companies but have to get more info on it.

Sparky_S wrote:
    hey stag is it a completion cert with just you saying your just testing the installation or is it a special cert?

We have heard of this thing for the insurance companies but have to get more info on it.
    hi sparky_s,
    there was an extension built as well at the time...had to bring it up to standards and do a lot of changes..

completion cert was what the bank needed!!...will find more on saturday when i meet my client..

and i reckon thats what the insurance will be looking for...
    in england i belive that if someone gets an extra socket put in, that has to be certified..as in if a house over there burns down due to an electrical fault and it turns out it was faulty wiring done by a cowboy/owner the insurance is voided...

i would say when it becomes clear whats happening a sticky would have to be posted...

yeah i was thinking on the same terms that a completion cert would do the same, as it proves that the house has undergone pre connection tests and post connection tests to ensure the wiring is up to standard and has a date of installation and tester, installer etc etc.

Anyways cheers for the info, at the moment we had to do 2 reports on houses for the insurance to give our view on the wiring, also especially in rented houses they want mains fire alarms aswell, so we have to report on them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Ye think Ill get a elecy so lol :)

Advertisement