Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights at the Mansion House

Options
  • 15-09-2005 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

What the hell is the story with the lights at the mansion house there at the bottom of Johns Hill being off more than on lately?

They were out from last Friday up to this Tuesday at 5 , then yesterday morning they were working and at half 8 this morning out again and still out when I passed up at 5 there,

Its really bloody dangerous , school kid almost got knocked down this morning , and this is`nt the first time , there out a lot lately.

Where would ya go to complain about this ? The corporation is it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

OK So Ive emailed the corporation , hopefully they`ll pull their finger out and do something about it before somebody gets killed down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Yea i saw it to its a bit dogey

Its very dodgy should see it at quarter to 9 in the mornin , Insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

I have im going to school

Well Ive emailed the corp now about it , because its not as if its just this week , Its been happening a lot lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I actually have the strange view that without the traffic lights, the area is actually safer! People are more cautious when it comes to traffic lights being out. They have to be thinking about other cars coming across them and children crossing the road whereas with the lights, they think that they don't have to consider an eejit running through a red or a child crossing when he thinks it's safe to do so!

Go down there tomorrow just before 9 or just after 5 if there still out and see how bad it is.
    I was driving up there saturday too and there was just confusion everyone driving and stopping and nobody waving others on , everyone edging going will I or wont I , its a nightmare down there.

I do... I walk to and from school everyday and crossing the road has never been as easy and safe!

Really?
    Well I for one think its mad dangerous and something needs to be done about it.

btw would ya not find it easier an safer with the green man?

Depends how you interpret the word easy. Somethings thats easy imo is something that is simple to do and takes little time. With the green man you could be waiting for up to 5 minutes!

With the lights being out drivers are being more cautious especially if they see people at the side of the road.

If I remember correctly a Dutch scientist has implemented a similar system in a town in Holland where there are no green men, no traffic lights and the like. Accidents went down by somewhere in the region of 40%.

Now I'm not saying that a system like that should be implemented into Irish life, considering Irish drivers are notoriously shìte, I'm merely saying that a system like that can and does work!

Heres a link to the system: http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0127/p01s03-woeu.html

• Advertisement

well its a system that aint working for me an it wasnt working for my car either saturday down there when I nearly got the side took off it just because whoever the hell is over these traffic lights wont pull their finger out and do what there meant to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Depends how you interpret the word easy. Somethings thats easy imo is something that is simple to do and takes little time. With the green man you could be waiting for up to 5 minutes!

With the lights being out drivers are being more cautious especially if they see people at the side of the road.

If I remember correctly a Dutch scientist has implemented a similar system in a town in Holland where there are no green men, no traffic lights and the like. Accidents went down by somewhere in the region of 40%.

Now I'm not saying that a system like that should be implemented into Irish life, considering Irish drivers are notoriously shìte, I'm merely saying that a system like that can and does work!

The problem with some Irish drivers is that they are ignorant or unaware to the dangers on the road and the stupidity on the roads i see everyday going into work just amazes me. Some drivers couldint give a sh*t about other people but if this system was brought in, it would make people pay attention and drive carefully.

Theres going to be an accident down by the mansion house soon if the lights are not fixed and take easy behind the wheel OLDYELLAR.

I`LL certainly try Angry , but the lights are there for a reason to make it safer AN I really dont know why they`ve been left unfixed and dodgy for so long.
    Im heading down again now in an hour or so , brilliant :rolleyes: more flippin fun down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

If your gettin so stressed by that junction then just avoid it... and we're not nearly as bad drivers as the Spainish... There just loons or try going to Eygpt some time and have fun avoid the drivers that drive at you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i agree, the chaos down there is crazy. trying to corss the road is a nightmare. stupid bastards who dont give a bollocks about anyone but themselves. someone will be killed down there and before someone says go a different way. no chance when all i'm doing is going to Tescos

trishw78 wrote:
    If your gettin so stressed by that junction then just avoid it... and we're not nearly as bad drivers as the Spainish... There just loons or try going to Eygpt some time and have fun avoid the drivers that drive at you...
    I cant avoid it as I live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I heard on the radio that there is only one company in Ireland that has the contract to fix traffic lights around the country and it's based in Dublin, that's why it takes so long to get them fixed :eek:

This is my first time on this site so please bear with me while I try and figure out all the smilies and icons etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

deisemum wrote:
    I heard on the radio that there is only one company in Ireland that has the contract to fix traffic lights around the country and it's based in Dublin

they should be fined for leaving it go this long. let me guess, they probably dont work weekends :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

deisemum wrote:
    I heard on the radio that there is only one company in Ireland that has the contract to fix traffic lights around the country and it's based in Dublin, that's why it takes so long to get them fixed :eek:

I heard that too years ago, and its still true then? Says it all really.
    This is my first time on this site so please bear with me while I try and figure out all the smilies and icons etc

Welcome! :)

Mike.

Yea but them not working weekends is no excuse , there out all week , Got an email off the corpration saying somebody will deal with my complaint :rolleyes: very reassuring looked like an automatic response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement