Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler/WallVents/Window Vents?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im in a house with a gas boiler so naturally all the rooms have vents in them, my question is if I get double glazing that contains trickle vents, do I still need these wall vents?
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi greebo,

AFAIK, Bord Gais insist on a permanent vent for the room where the boiler is located, after that it's just radiators to them.

As to the trickle vents, I have earned more in survey fees over the past two years because of the poor ventilation causing condensation especially in apartment bedrooms.

Many can be closed completely which means the air is stale and moisture laden especially in double bedrooms, the rooms would be ok except for them pesky humans giving off a litre a water every eight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Now that its colder, we get condensation on the bedroom window in the morning, and it has a standard wall vent on the same wall.
    Its single glazing though, so I guess the heat difference is causing it, also a rad underneath it....
    The problem is that the vents to the front of the house are basically in the path of that constant gale I was talking about earlier, when we moved in they had actually been blocked off by the previous tenants (rags, etc)
    I removed the crap and the noise and wind were pretty bad, so now its taped up in that room..
    was just wondering what the implications were...
    ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

You still need the wall vents man, all habitable rooms will need a vent aswell as a suitable sized window, obviously it prevents the build up of gases and the like.

Is it too much trouble to move the vents elsewhere, ie
    if the house is a semi-D could you not switch them to the gable end? Providing the rooms are adjacent to the gable wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Greebo,

The problems in bedrooms can be what is often mistaken for a roof leak especially after double glazing has been installed, you wake up as tired as you were before going to sleep, possible headaches and the room can have a stale smell.

Where the Gas boiler is concerned there can be a serious risk of carbon monoxide posioning = in death sometimes, there is no smell off the fumes that is what makes it so dangerous.

Part of the boiler service should include testing the flue for leaks and this is a perfect time of the year to have the boiler serviced before the real cold sets in.

Have you looked at using a flexible duct attached to a ceiling vent and pvc pipe and running it through the attic either to the gable or the back soffit ?

Proper ventilation can lead to healthier living, but you shouldn't have to put up with a gale blowing through the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm getting scared now - the only vent in my house is in the front room where there would have originally been a fireplace. I was pretty surprised about this, especially since our previous house which was about 8 years older than this one (this was built in '68 AFAIK) at least had vents in all the upstairs rooms.

At least we finally got a new gas boiler this year (replacing an old oil one - with big cracks in the flue pipe!), but is there still much of a chance of carbon monoxide poisoning? The boiler's in the garage, but the kitchen is an extension from the garage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement