Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRC calls itself a National Body

Options
  • 15-09-2005 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

MRC are now the "NRAI" or National Rifle Association of Ireland" dedicated to applying "Brirtish Standards" in Irish shooting. Since this move was done in secret without benefit of a publicly announced meeting and since there are already several authentic national bodies in existence, perhaps the shooting community needs to look more closely into this worrying development.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Where'd you see this ogam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭boudica

Well ogam you got your newsletter then, well so did I. I think this is great news. But why would anyone want to look into it, they have only done what no one else should have done when asked by MRC. You should read your newsletter it says, MRC IS THE HOME OF N.R.A.I.. The N.R.A.I. HAVE BEEN RECOGNISED BY THE INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF FULLBORE RIFLE ASSOCATIONS (I.C.F.R.A.) IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. You say it is worring, how so. who has the grounds to shoot 300 to 600 yards,MRC MAYBE?? By the way what is wrong with brithish standards. you will probably find many items in your home are to brithish standard. I admire MRC they are a progressive club and should be encourage to develope futher as should all shooting clubs and grounds around the country.

If the NRAI are recognised by the ICFRA, then that pretty much settles it, they are the NGB and have the right to field the Irish Team. What does this do to the LRRA's case then, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 foresight

Are the NRAI part of SSAI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

foresight wrote:
    Are the NRAI part of SSAI?
    Not unless something has changed. The SSAi are made up of the NTSA, NASRC, Pony Club (can't remember the acronym) and the silhouette association. Methinks there was some pistol shooting organisation added, but maybe not. Check the SSAI website http://shootingsportsireland.com

• Advertisement

*cough*NRPAI*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 disco kid

I agree with Boudica and wish MRC the best in their efforts to raise the profile of this sport and improve facilities for all wishing to avail of them.
    We all share a common bond, why don't we all have the same aim to improve shooting facilities and competitions? Why is it so important to be a member of a particular association? Why is it so important to some people to try to "degrade" other clubs and associations? If the intrests of the sport are at the heart of this debate, what can be achieved by trying to find fault with each other? Have we not seen the results of this in other sports?
    I have only a passing interest in this sport but am saddened at the level of rivalary and back biting between all who cared to share their views. Perhaps the intrests of all involved on both sides of the debate would be better served by putting aside old grudges and gripes and trying to move forward with fresh ideas. Otherwise are we all not playing into the hands of the "Anti-shooting" lobyists?

DK, there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions and everything wrong with the suppression of genuine differences of opinion. Just because we yell and shout at each other doesn't mean we don't all get that we're all a part of the same community. It just means we have our own thoughts and opinions and that our community affords us the same respect that our constitution lists with regard to freedom of expression.

On the whole associations thing, you do need a structure in the sport for national squads and things of that nature; and MRC were the ones who tried to come to the NRPAI and set up an NGB for fullbore shooting within the system. They were rudely slapped down for their troubles, and now it appears that they've just gone and set up the appropriately-recognised NGB anyway. Which would leave the blame squarely with the NRPAI for not working with the most enthuasistic group in the beginning really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ogam

Why is it so important to be a member of a particular association? Why is it so important to some people to try to "degrade" other clubs and associations? If the intrests of the sport are at the heart of this debate, what can be achieved by trying to find fault with each other? Have we not seen the results of this in other sports?

In order to shoot under the MRC banner you need to be a member - what happens to people who have fallen out with MRC an are not allowed to shoot at their ground or if people want to join that they simply do not like. MRC are a limited company not a club can they also be become a National Body without prejudice? We need national co- operation from all clubs not one company running the show. :confused:
    People worry when one club or association tries to dominate the whole sport and this is the worrying trend with MRC. Do we want a dictorship in the sport? Only their members and associates get chosen!!! The interests of the sport are best served by national bodies made up of representatives from all the clubs.

On the whole associations thing, you do need a structure in the sport for national squads and things of that nature; and MRC were the ones who tried to come to the NRPAI and set up an NGB for fullbore shooting within the system. They were rudely slapped down for their troubles, and now it appears that they've just gone and set up the appropriately-recognised NGB anyway. Which would leave the blame squarely with the NRPAI for not working with the most enthuasistic group in the beginning really...[/QUOTE]

Are you sure of your facts here Sparks - how were they rudely slapped down?

• Advertisement

I was present at the meeting ogam, the MRC reps stood up and said that they wished to form an NGB as a constituent body of the NRPAI and they were told by the then-PRO that forming "yet another NGB" was not in the best interests of the sport. Their needs weren't being met; they were willing to form an association within the NRPAI system; and they were told in public that it was a silly idea. That's what I mean when I said "rudely slapped down".

center
    You are ranting Ogam, you are not describing the same M.R.C. that I go to. I am aware of only one disaplinary action taken against one individual on the M.R.C. grounds and that was for "ongoing unsafe practices". Dealing with your points of M.R.C., limited company, and national body, the name M.R.C. is no longer in use. It is the "MIDLANDS NATIONAL SHOOTING CENTRE OF IRELAND" and it is a limited company by law, as is the irish clay pigeon shooting assocation (I.C.P.S.A.)a limited company as are other clubs and associations. The N.R.A.I. was formed for the reasons outlined by SPARKS to you. The N.R.A.I. has every right to organise and become a governing body, where there was none, now there is one. The N.R.A.I. was formed by clubs who shoot on grounds of the M.N.S.C.I. You use the words "DOMINATE AND DICTATE" where have M.N.S.C.I. DOMINATED OR DICTATED TO ANY ORGANISATION, please explain. YOUR QUOTE: THE INTERESTS OF THE SPORT ARE BEST SERVED BY NATIONAL BODIES MADE UP OF REPRESENTATIVES FROM ALL CLUBS. end quote, well THE N.R.A.I. are made up of clubs too, and their national body is, you've gussed it,THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCATION OF IRELAND, THE N.R.A.I. The fact is Ogham THE M.N.S.C.I. are growing and going forward to develope the grounds and facilities for and with help of the clubs and assocations who shoot on the M.N.S.C.I. HOME OF THE newly formed N.R.A.I. here is some thing I seen recently: the world is full of willing people, those who are are willing to work, and those who are willing to watch.

I am aware of only one disaplinary action taken against one individual on the M.R.C. grounds and that was for "ongoing unsafe practices". The N.R.A.I. was formed by clubs who shoot on grounds of the M.N.S.C.I. it,THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCATION OF IRELAND, THE N.R.A.I.
    There are two sides to every story and there has been more than one member refused admission to MNSCI!!! If you had read previous threads you would have seen the other reason for this so called disciplinary action!!
    Sparks you were at the meeting where the reps. from MRSCI were'slapped down'this is your interpretation - I heard other views on this.
    However instead of getting into a row over perception maybe the new NRAI would make a statement inviting all those who are willing to join to be members of the NRAI and welcome all clubs and all their members to be part of this new national venture and shoot at their grounds.They could then set up a committee made up of all clubs - wouldnt that be a novel idea!!! Maybe then we will have a truly national organisation run by a committee of all the shooting clubs who are interested in long range rifle and target shooting. Out of curosity which clubs belong to this national shooting body?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is shot up in MRC?

Also, if I am a member of one club - can I also join the "NRAI" / "MNSCI" / "MRC" or whatever it is called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Excuse my ignorance, but what is shot up in MRC?

Just about everything.. :D
    Also, if I am a member of one club - can I also join the "NRAI" / "MNSCI" / "MRC" or whatever it is called?

Yep.! Nothing to stop you joining any or all of the above ,and you will be assured of a friendly welcome.

As pointed out earlier the name MRC referred to the "Midland Rifle Club" ..
    Now .."The Midlands National Shooting center of Ireland" ..
    The "NRAI".. is the "National Rifle Association of Ireland "

Think of it a bit like Aer Lingus ..Using the facilitys of Dublin Airport , which is run by Aer Reinta .One is an Airline...one is an Airport management company.
    There is more than one Airline operating out of Dublin Airport.

There is also more than one club using the facilitys of the MNSCI.

I don't know why people seem to find it so confusing ..?

Right, so what exactly is this NRAI then?

Is it a governing body of the sport?

Where then does the NTSA fit in then??

NRAI is the association formed by the midlands limited company. It has decided it is a national organisation representing long range rifle shooters. There is also a Long Range Rifle Association that Midlands joined for about 2 meetings then decided for some unknown reason not to continue with. The LRRA is made up of most of the clubs that shoot long range rifle - Midlands has decided to organise its own organisation made up of whoever shoots at their grounds. Maybe we could hear more about the affliated clubs so people would know what clubs they have to be members of to be part of the 'irish team'. :confused:

Hi Ogam,

Just for clarity sake and to avoid further confusion ..,

The LRRA is made up of most of the clubs that shoot long range rifle

1. Could you please tell me what range distances qualify as "Long Range"
    (As it applies to the "Long Range Rifle Association" )

2. At which club ranges in Ireland do they shoot or practice..?
    Midlands has decided to organise its own organisation made up of whoever shoots at their grounds.

AFAIK .. The "National Rifle Association of Ireland " is yet another club or association using the facilitys of the MNSCI, making it yet another one among many .

One is free to join the NRAI if one wishes.

Isn't it recognised by the NRA-UK ..?
    Maybe we could hear more about the affliated clubs
    Affiliated to whom..? ..Or do you mean clubs that use the facilitys..?

THERE IS A PRESS RELEASE DUE AT THE END OF THIS MONTH BY THE NEWLY FORMED N.R.A.I.WHEN ALL WILL BE REVEALED.
    This much is true - there is now a national governing body for long range rifle shooting- and it is here to stay.
    Very good jaycee, could not have put it better myself.
    Well I am off to finish cleaning my new rifle, its shooting, 5 round, 3 inch groups at 600 yards.

The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. J. ARTHUR THOMSON

Looks that way OP, it's fullbore shooting, and if reports are accurate, is the internationally-recognised NGB for Ireland.
    Not affected - though obviously, they're going to have to make a phone call to the NRAI and sort out where lines are with regard to 300m shooting where there's a (very) small degree of overlap. (As an LRRA lad put it, 300m is what the fullbore lads think of as short-range :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

boudica wrote:
    Well I am off to finish cleaning my new rifle, its shooting, 5 round, 3 inch groups at 600 yards.

Half MOA? So it's a new hunting rifle ? Can you use hunting rifles for target shooting?

Why would it be a new hunting rifle MP?

Ooooh MP do I detect a little envy? ... or is it a challenge?...... whichever I refuse to enter into a battle of "WITS" with you..........as it is against my morals to attack an unarmed person......

3 inch ...5 shot groups @ 600 yds .. :eek:

Too bloody right you detect envy ..from me for one. :D

Thats some pretty fancy shooting..,
    Long may it continue to go where you point it.

Advertisement