Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you involved in print/online magazines?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The subject and the body are one and the same.
    Are any members involved in any print or online magazines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

yes. why? what have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

also yes... and also why?? is it a personal survey or are you looking to start something or whats your buzz at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, but I wish I was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I have been involved with a print mag before and I will soon be involved with an e-zine...but like everyone else, I'm wondering why you ask...

by the by I should have said this in my last post but if any fiction or poetry writers here wish to get involved in the writing group I've just set up, we will be publishing an e-zine relatively soon.

PM me if you want to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Keith Whitener

Well, for those of you that are, what advice do you have to generate visitors and for promoting the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

lol.... i just do the writing and send it off (i've not made it to print just yet)... never really thought about the rest... leave that to editors and the likes i say.. i would have thought that word of mouth and interesting content would be the best for attracting visitors.....

yeah content is king, as the expression goes. If you publish muck then no one is going to come back. But Keith the question you're asking cant really be answered here as there are literally hundreds of books that have been published on Traffic Generation etc.

I mean there are companies that charge people thousands of euro a year to "promote and optimise their web pages" so that they rank well in search engines etc.

What kind of site do you have and who are your target market?

Here is the site: http://onetrickpony.ws/

No suggestions, then?

• Advertisement

No suggestions, then?

I get the impression you are looking for a "quick fix", or someone here to just tell you to do X,Y and Z and you'll be on your way but getting ranked well in the search engines is not a piece of p!ss, otherwise everyone would be ranked well...

My suggestion to you: search google or yahoo for "Search Engine Optimisation free ebook". Or something like that and you should be able to find a whack of ebooks that will show you how to increase your traffic.

You could also try: http://www.free-ebooks.net under their marketing section they have a few Search Engine items that will get you started.

Search optimization isn't what I'm looking for, thanks for the tip though. Or should it be what I'm looking for? If you look at http://maddox.xmission.com/, it's one of the most popular sites on the net, but I doubt maddox did any search optimization.

How about just advice in general from people with expierance? I don't know what sort of advice I'm looking for, so perhaps words of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

Search optimization isn't what I'm looking for, thanks for the tip though. Or should it be what I'm looking for? If you look at http://maddox.xmission.com/, it's one of the most popular sites on the net, but I doubt maddox did any search optimization.

that's word of mouth. i doubt you can get that sorta thing goin. you sound pretty clueless to be honest.

I am clueless, correct. These are uncharted waters for me, which is why I asked for advice.

How about just advice in general from people with expierance? I don't know what sort of advice I'm looking for, so perhaps words of wisdom.

That page might visually look like a piece of sh!t but it is optimised for search engines...which is another way of saying that it's easy to find. The reason that site is so popular though is because of its offpage optimisation: there are 9,540 other webpages linking back to it. Google likes that, and obviously all those links bring traffic all by themselves.

Look you can pay for your traffic or you can get it for free. Its the same with any website on the Internet regardless of its purpose or field. If your content is good your site will become popular either way. If not then dont bother wasting your cash on buying traffic because they wont come back. But you need to do one or the other or both. Visitors arent going to just magically start arriving at your site.

If you want to pay for it, I'd recommend Googles Adwords, as it is targeted. If you want to get the traffic for free then you need to Optimise your site so that it is as visable as possible, in particular the offpage elements of it.

Advertisement