Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandalism in Thomond Park

Options
  • 15-09-2005 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here that story? Apparently some vandals broke in and dug loads of holes in the pitch. Have they got CCTV up there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Ya I heard it this morning! ****ing scumbags with nothing better to be doing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Apparently it was protestors. Probably angry that people are being forced to move so that they can expand Thomond Park but the IRFU are only offering market value on the houses they need to knock. No relocation fee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yep they're being offered €200,000 for a house in Ballynanty and they're describing it as an awful insult!!!!

I wouldn't take a present of a house anywhere near Ballynanty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It's either that or ppl from Cork, thinking now they'll get the big games because they wont pump money into the Limerick Stadium!
    The press officer said the pitch wont be as good as it was... but that they wont let the crew move out if they arnt happy with it!
    There is CCTV in the area, but thy dont know if they will come into play at all in the investigation! Seems that all these cameras are never in the right places!!!!
    The people should move... for the good of Limerick city (business wise and socially)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Raiser wrote:
    Yep they're being offered €200,000 for a house in Ballynanty and they're describing it as an awful insult!!!!

I don't see how being offered money for a house is an insult. If they don't want to sell up, they don't have to, pure and simple. If they do want to move but want more money, they should either try and negotiate a higher price with the IRFU, or place the house on the market and see if they can get a better price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Spoderman wrote:
    Apparently it was protestors.

Protesters with hoodies, according to the CCTV

I bet it was the Rubber Bandits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Raiser wrote:

whats wrong with Ballynanty? Why wouldnt you live near there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

yea whats wrong with ballynanty???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Raiser has obviously never been to Ballynanty, nothing wrong with it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

This has been extensively discussed on munsterfans.com. I don't think this was simple random vandalism, but I don't think it was connected with the houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

I don't see how being offered money for a house is an insult. If they don't want to sell up, they don't have to, pure and simple. If they do want to move but want more money, they should either try and negotiate a higher price with the IRFU, or place the house on the market and see if they can get a better price.

Quite right. Its not like these people are been offered 200 grand and then being thrown out.

Anyway, about the holes, it must have taken them ages, and in broad daylight too, it seems amazing someone didn't see them earlier.

Yes people walking up the road with spades... then breaking into Thomond Park!

Also you can see onto the pitch if you are walking along the road.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Raiser wrote:

Whats your problem? I Live near Ballananty and have good friends and family there. I can tell you i bet i know the type of person you are.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes people walking up the road with spades... then breaking into Thomond Park!

Next door to a barracks...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I thought it was hilarious, but that's just me. Apparently the gardai are carrying out 'extensive enquiries' to bring the perpetrators to justice. So far, the description given is youths in hoodies. Actually I saw someone matching that description just a minute ago. Is there a number I should call?

Click here for today's update
    or here for this and more ongoing news on Limerick. Great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Apparently Thomand Park are satisfied with the level of security at the ground. :confused:

... none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It supposedly happened around 5 in the evening. There are usually quite a few people around the ground during the day so how no one saw them is beyond me.

As for the houses in Balla, Today FM inserted that note into their story when it has nothing to do with it really. Just make loose assumptions.

Heard yesterday that each homeowner is being offered 200,000 for their house and another 50,000 for relocation. They should hold out for more. The IRFU want the houses badly so they should wait and see how high they will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well they would want to be careful, limerick corporation are quite greedy and given the right incentives they could be asked to serve CPOs on these people meaning that these people will get alot less.

and before you say that an extended stadium would not benefit the community, think of this, they served CPOs on shops in Spaights so they could build a third dunnes stores in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

bucks73 wrote:
    As for the houses in Balla, Today FM inserted that note into their story when it has nothing to do with it really.

I was listening to the Last Word on Today FM last Friday, and they were interviewing Barry Duggan from the Limerick Leader who said that the groundsman found a note left beside the goalposts which read

"Phuck the system
    Phuck the pigs,

Signed, The Scumbags"

and Matt Cooper's response to that was "Well, at least we know who did it then, it was the scumbags."

Heehee!!!!

The worrying thing about it is that if they left a note there then it is possible that they might partake in other acts of vandalism for kicks, leaving notes behind them.

"Phuck the system
    Phuck the pigs,

Signed, The Scumbags"

Sound political agenda there.

Defintaly, that aint regular scumbags... thats people trying to send a message!

I was being sarcastic John

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

well they would want to be careful, limerick corporation are quite greedy and given the right incentives they could be asked to serve CPOs on these people meaning that these people will get alot less.

and before you say that an extended stadium would not benefit the community, think of this, they served CPOs on shops in Spaights so they could build a third dunnes stores in the city centre.

I don't remember there being cpo's involved in Spaights. I remember the owners trying hard to get rid of Eats of Eden ( http://www.limerick-leader.ie/issues/19990626/property.html )

At the time of all that there was only 1 Dunnes in town...and Spaights itself was a fairly grotty place to be waiting for a bus.

parsi wrote:
    I don't remember there being cpo's involved in Spaights. I remember the owners trying hard to get rid of Eats of Eden ( http://www.limerick-leader.ie/issues/19990626/property.html )

At the time of all that there was only 1 Dunnes in town...and Spaights itself was a fairly grotty place to be waiting for a bus.

eats of eden were fighting a compulsary purchase order. there were actually two dunnes stores in the city at the time, henry street and o connell street, but i think the one on occonell street only sold clothes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement