Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse Problem

Options
  • 15-09-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I am trying to install visual editor for Eclipse, I did what it said on the site
    VE can now be downloaded through Update Manager. Select "Find and Install..." then select "Search for new features to install..." From there expand Eclipse.org update site, and select EMF, GEF, and Visual Editor Updates categories. Then select the Visual Editor (or Visual Editor SDK if you want to do development for the Visual Editor, or see its source). It will tell then tell you what compatible levels of EMF and GEF are required. Select those too, and then finish the install.

This didn’t work, then I downloaded and installed every plug-in available and it still didn’t work. I didn’t get any errors just was not able to open Visual editor or see anything about it. Do I have to recompile Eclipse after I install or do something else? Btw using it on Windows XP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You may need to restart Eclipse. If you have, try opening a new perspective and check see if VE is an available option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I restarted it and I tried to open a new perspective and didn’t get an option for Visual editor

it seems like its installed but i can use it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Also make sure you have the correct version of GEF for it.

i have GEF 3.1.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

yea I don't know which version, I just recall with an earlier version the latest version of GEF at that time didn't run with it. I had similar issue with it before and I found that it was a combination of the wrong Eclipse/GEF/EMF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you using Eclipse 3.1?

Hobbes wrote:
    yea I don't know which version, I just recall with an earlier version the latest version of GEF at that time didn't run with it. I had similar issue with it before and I found that it was a combination of the wrong Eclipse/GEF/EMF

Well I downloaded Eclipse 3.1 off the site and then I downloaded and installed all the plug-ins through the software update feature in Eclipse so they should be all compatible, but it seems Eclipse downloaded more there one version of something’s and disabled them
    Are you using Eclipse 3.1?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I don't think there's a specific VE perspective. Try creating a new Java project, and try New ... Java ... Visual Class, or open an existing Java file from the context menu: Open With ... Visual Editor.

bpmurray wrote:
    I don't think there's a specific VE perspective. Try creating a new Java project, and try New ... Java ... Visual Class, or open an existing Java file from the context menu: Open With ... Visual Editor.

Tried that still no luck :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I remember reading about a bug with installing some eclipse plugins with 3.1 whereby it wont start up. I cant recall the exact details but you have to delete the config.ini before installing a plugin.....cant find it on the eclipse website at the moment but saw it literally 2 weeks ago when I was installing one. If you search around on sourceforge you'll find it......

homeOwner wrote:
    I remember reading about a bug with installing some eclipse plugins with 3.1 whereby it wont start up. I cant recall the exact details but you have to delete the config.ini before installing a plugin.....cant find it on the eclipse website at the moment but saw it literally 2 weeks ago when I was installing one. If you search around on sourceforge you'll find it......

I cant even find it in sourceforge is it under a different name?

irishguy wrote:
    I cant even find it in sourceforge is it under a different name?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/r2tech-eclipse/

there are links from there to other sites.

try www.eclipseplugincentral.com also

I was searching around on those sites when I found the plugin i was looking for. On all of the download pages there was a warning about the plugin bug.......I will look for it later and post when I find it.......have to dash.

Found it....

>Installing from ZIP file into Eclipse
    >If you are installing into Eclipse 3.0 or 3.1 (pre-M5), you should also delete >your <Eclipse>/configuration directory before re-starting Eclipse (it is >recreated at startup). This is to avoid a common Eclipse 3.x plugin cache >bug. The Full Installer can do this for you automatically. If you are installing >into Eclipse 3.1 M5/M6/M7, delete everything in the "configuration" directory >except the config.ini file."

This was for a codepro plugin but it is mentioned on alot of other plugins.
    Reading it again looks like it is a caching problem so might not be relavent to you.

Advertisement