Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a GUI handicap without joining a golf club?

Options
  • 14-09-2005 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a GUI handicap without being a member of a golf club?

I don't have €5k plus lying around to join any club within reasonable distance of me (in Lucan). Grange Castle would be my preference as there is no membership fee as in thousands of euro, you just pay your €300 odd per year and get reduced green fees. Problem is, last years members get first call on the next years membership and after that they pick from a long waiting list to make up the numbers. After they had filled the available slots I was 245th on the waiting list this year.

I would be reluctant to spend money on a "country membership", or whatever they call it, to join a club in Sligo or somewhere equally inconvenient just to play it three times to get a handicap. If I pays me money I wants to plays me golf and have some use out of a membership.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gillers67

Short answer is no.
    Like Grange Castle l'm with Elmgreen in Castleknock. I paid €395 back in March - still haven't got my GUI yet! But that's my fault. Elmgreen is not the hardest course in the world by any stretch but it is handy for me (only 5 mins away).

http://www.golfdublin.com/elmgreen/default.asp

They have a waiting list but you might get in around Feb/March. I think they lost a few members after the 'travellers' attacked the course last year.

Gillers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Trampas

Corballis is the same.

Citywest have something for around €700 and so do hollystown (i think)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Hollystown was €395 last year for membership which gives you GUI membership, insurance and 20% off Green Fees. Thinking of joining myself in the new year. Not sure what the price is now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

gillers67 wrote:
    Short answer is no.
    Like Grange Castle l'm with Elmgreen in Castleknock. I paid €395 back in March - still haven't got my GUI yet! But that's my fault. Elmgreen is not the hardest course in the world by any stretch but it is handy for me (only 5 mins away).

http://www.golfdublin.com/elmgreen/default.asp

They have a waiting list but you might get in around Feb/March. I think they lost a few members after the 'travellers' attacked the course last year.

Gillers
    I read somewhere that if you join a society that has a hanicap commitee (rather than a club) that you can get one that way?? Not sure it thats true..??

I'm thinking of going for one of the more affordable ones too such as Grange (but has a waiting list) or City West Lakes (a lot of par 3's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

WillyWonka wrote:
    I read somewhere that if you join a society that has a hanicap commitee (rather than a club) that you can get one that way?? Not sure it thats true..??

I'm thinking of going for one of the more affordable ones too such as Grange (but has a waiting list) or City West Lakes (a lot of par 3's).

Willy, the only way to obtain an official handicap is to join an affiliated golf club, submit three cards signed by a member of the club over the course and wait for the club Handicap Committee to allocate you one.

Societies, GUI registered or otherwise, cannot issue official CONGU/GUI Hanidcaps.

S

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

slumped wrote:
    Willy, the only way to obtain an official handicap is to join an affiliated golf club, submit three cards signed by a member of the club over the course and wait for the club Handicap Committee to allocate you one.

Societies, GUI registered or otherwise, cannot issue official CONGU/GUI Hanidcaps.

S

Yes they can, the hibernian golf club based out of citywest is a society and issues valid handicaps. The society just needs to have a home course to issue valid handicaps.

http://www.hiberniangolf.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

In response to the last misinformed post regarding Hibernian Golf Club:

Hibernian Golf Club is affiliated to the GUI. They play under license at City West. They are not a golf society. They can issue handicaps as they are a golf club.

Similar situation at Christy O'Connor Golf Club which is based at Sillogue Park, and Corballis Golf Club in Donabate.

Please do not make sweeping statements without checking up the facts.

I work in the industry and know what I'm talking about!

Slumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Check out www.gui.ie for a full listing of who are clubs and who are societies. You'll probably find something in there also about who can and cannot issue handicaps....

Advertisement