Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circumcision info / Anyone through the experience or had it done

Options
  • 14-09-2005 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

What I have here is realy a query on circumcision performed in ireland as i'm looking into getting this done for medical reasons due to my foreskin being tight at times and also slightly painful when having sex. The sooner I get this sorted the better as it's a complete distraction during sex with my gf as I can never enjoy the experience fully. I'm not talking a full circumcsion just enough to ease the process of making it less stressfull during sex as i'd still like to keep as much as possible.

If anyone out there has had this done in ireland and what there experience / outcome was i'd appreciate it. I've an appointment made with my gp but i'm guessing he's only going to refer me to a urologist. I'm mainly concerned with the procedure itself and what's involved with cosmetic results.

Good info to have when going to the gp would be cool from anyone who's been through it already. There's some very good into on the web about the procedure but from an irish experience nothing.

Tnx.
    Chn209

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My brother (23) had to have it done for medical reasons and hasn't looked back since. The procedure itself was simple and he was in and out of the hospital in a day. He was uncomfortable for about a week or so and then was then felt fine although it was six weeks (I think) before he could have sex again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

chn209 wrote:
    If anyone out there has had this done in ireland and what there experience / outcome was i'd appreciate it. I've an appointment made with my gp but i'm guessing he's only going to refer me to a urologist. I'm mainly concerned with the procedure itself and what's involved with cosmetic results.

Had it done myself when I was 17.

Surprisingly I felt no pain after it, except the odd bit of discomfort but thats it.

For a start when you 1st get it done you may bleed for a day or two, nothing to worry about it's quite normal.

Basically once your in your gown they knock you out cold and you wake up on a trolly. Thats it. I was even asking a nurse was it over.

You will have a ring of roughly 15 sugar stitches, which melt away themselves after 2 weeks. As for the cosmeic side of it, well it's clear i've had the chop but the stitch scars are hardly noticable.

All in all, it wasn't that bad apart from the no sex for a month rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

chn209 wrote:
    Hi All,

What I have here is realy a query on circumcision performed in ireland as i'm looking into getting this done for medical reasons due to my foreskin being tight at times and also slightly painful when having sex. The sooner I get this sorted the better as it's a complete distraction during sex with my gf as I can never enjoy the experience fully. I'm not talking a full circumcsion just enough to ease the process of making it less stressfull during sex as i'd still like to keep as much as possible.

Good info to have when going to the gp would be cool from anyone who's been through it already. There's some very good into on the web about the procedure but from an irish experience nothing.

Tnx.
    Chn209

What do you mean when you say you don't want a 'full circumcision'? You will lose your foreskin. The medical term for a tight foreskin is 'Phimosis'. Phimosis can be treated without being circumcised. There are stretching exercises which can be done for example and there are creams which your doctor can prescribe. Circumcision is usually the last resort if everything else has failed.

While circumcisions work well for some people, that's not always the case. Some people report a loss of sensation for one thing.

If you go to your doctor I'm certain he will advise you to try some stretching exercises for a few weeks. These exercises can be found on the internet anyway.

You should check out Wikipedia here.

Good luck to you.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

my BF had it done last year because of the condition phimosis. It was very sore for him for about 3 weeks after. But he has no regrets whatsoever, and I love it too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chn209

Thanks for the update all. Some very good info, looks like there's nothing to it besides a little pain afterwards but I was expecting that would be the case. If that's all it is to sort it out then cool. I think myself and my girlfriend can wait for a couple of weeks or how long it takes to recover knowing the results will be much better in the longrun ;). I 'm sure we can think of loads of other things to do to past the time :rolleyes:.

I've talked to her about it anyho and she's cool either way if I get it done or not (she said she's actually looking forward to the new change). Off to the gp to check out what the next step is. When I get it done i'll post up any follow up info on the results / outcome in case anyone else is thinking about it for the same reasons etc.

Tnx again,
    Chn209.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chn209

Just a note to Nice Guy. Thanks for the info on the web, I had actually looked at this and tried the stretching technique but to no avail. For some reason it still seemed to return to it's original size after stopping. This is after a couple of weeks so I just said to hell with it, that's definetly not working. So it looks like it's down to more medical than anything that needs to be sorted.

Your right I actually mis quoted myself when I said not a full circumcision since a circumcision is getting your foreskin cut no matter how much. What I ment to say was that I wasn't looking for a tight circumcision which is everything completly off but just enough below the head of the penis. I'd still like to keep some but the surgeon might have a different view, I don't know. Need to talk to them about that first beforehand.

Thx,
    Chn209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

For those who had it done...how much does the intervention (circumcision) cost? Just approximately..wonder are there many medical clinics in Dublin doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I need to get it done too, but I'm 18 and I don't know how I'd ever tell my parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This is a reoccuring topic here in personal issues.
    here is the link to the last thread which will answer a lot of your questions.

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899493

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Before getting surgery, ask your GP to prescribe you a Betamethasone based ointment (Betnovate being the big one on Ireland). No official study has been carried out yet in Ireland on phimosis (tight foreskin) in adults (hopefully soon), but recent studies in children with phimosis in Ireland (http://www.modernmedicine.ie/modern_medicine/pdfs/modmed_jan.pdf) have verified what has been said by the international medical community for the past while.

Betnovate is a cream used to cure a number of skin conditions. The only side affect of betnovate is that it loosens the skin. Which is brilliant, because that is exactly what you want it for!

Your GP may not be up to date on this. Revert him/her to this article and ask him to contact the author if need be, but if putting ointment on your penis for a few weeks gives even the smallest chance of not requiring circumcision, then why shouldn't you try it? (No point cutting off the head to cure a headache!). You can still have a circumcision if the ointment fails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I need to get it done too, but I'm 18 and I don't know how I'd ever tell my parents

I wouldn't worry about it you're 18 and it's your body. You make the decision.
    Anyway, if you need it done for medical/health reasons surely your parents would support you?

Advertisement