Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMP on OSX

Options
  • 14-09-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

I've recently - for the benefit of my Thai girlfriend - subscribed to streaming Thai TV (wow those ad breaks are strange) and it runs okay on her Thai windows-based machine. No problem so far.

I was thinking perhaps the image might be sharper and it might sound better on my PowerBook. I'm fairly certain the PowerBook chip is faster so I assumed it might be a steadier signal as well. A few problems. Explorer on OSX doesn't give me Thai language characters on the site (it just reads as Roman gobblydegook). I've tried following suggestions on a few sites to install it, but it's beyond my capabilities. Never mind, switch to Safari. Ah, now Thai characters. Looks promising.

And it is until I try to get my Windows Media Player (which is the only format the site uses and which I have on the Mac) to play the selected channel. Up pops a window, nothing other than a frame with a black screen. No buttons, no status info, just a black screen and definitely no streaming TV.

If I click directly onto WMP and try a few radio channels, they're okay. Ditto various web-based free TV channels from around the world I tried. Is this an unsolvable compatabilty problem with the site? Anyone else have a similar problem with streaming TV on WMP/OSX? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I have a somewhat similar problem. I'm still running WMP 7.1 and sometimes the window pops up and just has a black screen, with sound, but sometimes it plays momentarily. All I see is bits and pieces of things, whether strewaming or downloaded files.

I've tried to fix this by downloading the latest version, WMP 9, however, therein lies another problem. It gets to the stage where it says..."Items remaing to install: 510" and then it clicks and whirrs forever and a day, but ultimately, does nothing. Very frustrating. I'm running on OS X 10.3.4. I tried getting WMP 9 about 6 months ago and the same thing happened then, but I thought whatever bug was stopping it installing, would be fixed by now. Has anyone had this same problem? Or can anyone point me in the direction of an answer?

Damo

Advertisement