Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: Walt

Options
  • 14-09-2005 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

OK, there's no doubt that Walt is special..

but surely, his greatest ability of all, has got to be his... accent. I'm no expert on US lingual regions, but i am a linguist and what amazes me is that he has an american accent.

as far as i remeber, Walt left the US before he was 2 meaning that he should have picked up his accent from his immediate surroundings so it should be either dutch/italian/but most likely australian due to the amount of australian schooling he would have had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

loon wrote:

but surely, his greatest ability of all, has got to be his... accent. I'm no expert on US lingual regions, but i am a linguist and what amazes me is that he has an american accent.

as far as i remeber, Walt left the US before he was 2 meaning that he should have picked up his accent from his immediate surroundings so it should be either dutch/italian/but most likely australian due to the amount of australian schooling he would have had.

Unless he went to an international school with a lot of american kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

not likely in Oz though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

maybe his teachers were wizards? :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

His mother is American, no? He was probably home-schooled. Kid is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

So was his step-father. I'm guessing his only real exposure to people were his mother, step-father and "maids". After all he never showed any sign of being capable of speaking Dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Taking things a bit far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I still want to see a Vincent flashback episode...

It could clear up alot of things in a nice and interesting way...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

He's the Des Bishop of Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,821 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shabadu wrote:
    He's the Des Bishop of Lost.
    Des Bishop is "special" in a very different sorta way though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yes- I hear his new show is entitled 'Get Up, Get Out, Go!'.

• Advertisement

... and the uniform he had on in 'special' was what... just a fashion faux pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I know some people who have lived here all their lives but have the same accents as their parents, American or English.

Then I know some people who have picked up the Irish accent within months and had it down to a tee, not even trying to impersonate.

It's just the way it is with accents, some people don't pick them up very easily at all. Obviously Walt's mother was the biggest influence in his life, and if he doesn't have the ear for accents, he's going to stick to the accent he learned to speak with.

ah, but both his 'parents' were lawyers and spent very little time at home, hence the nanny/maid. when walt was talking about the bird, neither parent was listening and i get the impression it was like that a lot, especially the way that he craves locke's attention... i think it was an oversight of the writers that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There is no indication he lived in Austrialia for that long,or that he had that nanny for long. He said they moved around a lot,they could have even lived in back in America for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

I'd have to agree with loon, it's an oversight by the writers.
    That just gave me a tought though, (it may sound stupid but,) anyone know why it all started in australia? deversity of coultures? I mean why not somewhere else...

i guess it has something to do with the numbers and the location of the island in co-ords.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

lkman wrote:
    I'd have to agree with loon, it's an oversight by the writers.
    That just gave me a tought though, (it may sound stupid but,) anyone know why it all started in australia? deversity of coultures? I mean why not somewhere else...

Why not Australia?

Especially since to get from there to America it's a very long flight across an ocean you tend to get lost in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

loon wrote:

Just rewatched Episode 2 - Loche is showing Walt how to play backgammon.

Loche: "Do you play checkers with your Pa?"
    Walt: "No i live in Austrailia with my mom"
    Loche: "youve got no accent"
    Walt: "We moved around alot"

So i guess thats his excuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Just rewatched Episode 2 - Loche is showing Walt how to play backgammon.

Loche: "Do you play checkers with your Pa?"
    Walt: "No i live in Austrailia with my mom"
    Loche: "youve got no accent"
    Walt: "We moved around alot"

So i guess thats his excuse....
    Moving around a lot would most likely cause Walt to have an accent similar to his parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

JUst thought I'd throw this out there. My mom can pick up somes accent after a short phone conversation. Not every one changes accents that way though. I'd say its more likly that he talks like his mom. and we know he was in public school because the maid said thats where he was returning from when Michael came to pick him up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement