Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...for Krusty...GS's etc....

Options
  • 13-09-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

Krusty...and Kazujo.....rather than hijack thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293438 I thought I'd post a new thread on the subject of the question you asked here....enjoy..

Krusty - tell you what, I really tried to like the GS....I really did. It wasn't
    even my first attempt. No, that was the previous year - 03 - when I had an R1150GS.

Let me explain....I've been riding BMW's for about 15 years. I've gone from K100
    RS to K100LT to K1100LT - and there have been a variety of K75's and F650's etc in between...

At one point I got fed up with the wobbly handling of the now-old K's...the snag was
    the new ones were all too heavy, too ....I dunno, but not right anyhoo..

So, in 1999 I tried to get a test ride on one from the - ahem - Irish dealer. I'm
    not saying he's not in Bray, oh no......not me.....I was told 'NO'.

My brother lived in Holland at the time, and so I rang him up and asked if
    he'd a local dealer who'd facilitate me - and one phone call later, I was all
    set to go......my wife and I flew over, presented ourselves at the dealer where
    he photocopied my Irish licence and gave me a brand spanking new R1100RT in Tundra
    Green on trade plates...and let us off on the motorway. All he asked was that I bring it back in
    the agreed time in one piece.....

15 minutes later, at 3-figure speeds, the bike felt planted, and I knew the age
    of the Telelever had arrived and that it was time to leave the K's behind....
    I will say though I wasn't exactly enamoured with the engine, but the suspension
    and brakes and fairing sold the bike to me......a short time later we went to
    the Bike Show at the NEC to confirm that this was THE bike for us, as we had
    never spent this much on a bike before.....on the return, we went to the car show
    in the RDS and you-know-who was there.....I thought I'd ask for a test ride once
    more and the salesman from Maxwell's asked you-know-who for me, and I was told
    NO once more. I remember asking him was there a problem test driving a 3-series
    of the same value and I was assured there would be no problem. Double Standards
    there then, and I told him so. As to the price...when he told me the panniers
    were extra I knew I was being taken for a ride...but not on a BMW, obviously...i

So, I got on to the Internet...and I had my first R1100RT for Christmas - the
    year of the big snow - and had it delivered by truck. Such has been my positive
    experience of this that I've now bought a new one 'over there' nearly every year....

In 03, and guided by all the talk that accompanied the GS, and I went for an
    R1150GS.......getting one in November brought home a few truths....first, that
    it had no weather protection to speak of. Second, that it was a complete
    nightmare to keep clean, and then there was the handlebars. For me, they
    were just a tad too much of a reach. Oh, and it's a high bugger too....
    That bike came in August, and was gone by Christmas, by which time I'd
    already bought an R1150RT....now that's much more like it!! Bloody
    brilliant....all the R1100RT was....only better. Better headlights for a
    start....I forgot to mention the ones on the GS are useless....

I got another 1150RT after that and when the 12GS came out I thought I'd
    give the GS12 a go....I really liked the idea of 30kg less weight...
    Again it arrived by truck, and it looked fabulous....drove well too.

But, while the bike is a definate riding improvement, it's not perfect.
    Poor lights. Indifferent/poor paint finish on the rear subframe, an even bigger
    pain to keep clean, and the brakes - in my opinion - are a retrograde
    step from the RT. This new 'partial' integratation version is not as
    good as the 'full' integration version. Thousands of people swear
    otherwise, but I don't care....I like the 'old' version. And the
    handlebars still aren't right....I found my arms are almost at
    full extension all the time. But again, it's the weather protection
    I missed most of all.....I was glad I hadn't managed to sell the RT.
    So up on the notice board went the GS....I think people saw my ad
    in the paper and thought it was a wind-up.....imagine...selling a GS12
    already !!! tut tut...

So, GS gone....I said now what? I got a spin on a K1200LT and I was
    actually very impressed with it.....it was even easier to ride than
    my RT - despite it's size - and of course it had my favourite engine
    fitted....the 4-cylinder K-series....but I'm wasn't ready for the old
    fart thing yet.....I thought about a Jap sports bike, but to be honest
    I couldn't get over the seat heights and I felt it'd be a right pain
    to keep under the speed limit.....my wrists wouldn't take it either..
    so - and harking back back to my hols in Barcelona in June 04 I
    remember seeing a Burgman 650 and whilst ugly at the back...I liked
    the idea of a big lazy automatic......something completely different..

Problem. No one in Ireland had one. Or any other big scooter, come to
    think of it......nowhere to test ride one. I did think though,
    that 10k for a scooter was a bit much, and widened my horizon to
    include Piaggio, Aprilia etc.....and bearing mind my fond memories
    of my Vespa PX125 still sitting forlorn in my garage......

Bikeworld had an Aprilia Atlantic 500, and I'd seen one on the
    road on the US in the most fabulous metallic blue, so I rode up
    to see one......the good lady there told me they didn't give
    test rides either....she asked if I knew anyone who had one, to
    which I replied that that if I had, would I have had to ride 140
    miles each way to see theirs....???? So, there was no way I was
    spending almost 7k on a bike - especially an eclectic vehicle like
    a SuperScooter without a test ride. I rode home. Miffed.

Back to the internet then...and I found a 3k mile old Atlantic
    500 for......let's just say less, than here....
    and I ordered it with a full service and heated grips added.
    Once again - and the guys at work are getting used to it now -
    a truck rolled up with the Aprilia on a pallet. I rode it home
    for the first time on 23rd Dec 04........

All I can say is........what a revelation !!! Plenty plenty fast
    enough, and so so comfortable. And it sounded great. I never
    was a big vintage bike fan, but the big single was just...well,
    cute !! I had images of riding a big Velo....but without the
    oil leaks!!! Unlike a big bike like the RT which struggles to
    travel inside the legal speed limit....the AA500 is just at it's
    sweet spot. And because it's a CVT engined bike it actually
    travels at it's sweet spot at ALL speeds. Peak Torque, that is..
    Easy to ride slow....easy to ride fast....and boy do car drivers
    get a fright when you show pace.....

Sure, I took some getting used to it....but it's still a big single
    and so it has quite good engine braking and isn't as reliant on
    the brakes as you might think......it handles very well. Light on
    juice too.....averaging 50mpg+ all the time.
    Quality of finish and design is at the least as good as BMW, and
    in several areas - better. Quality of fasteners is certainly better
    and the design/appearance of the dash is certainly better.

Am I happy I bought it? Absolutely. Did I empty the garage because
    it was so good? No....I still have an R1150RT beside it....but the RT
    will be lucky to put on a few miles under my butt this year....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Although the Atlantic does sound interesting it wouldn't really be my cup of tea. I'm not a huge fan of the GS12 myself I don't like the look of the exposed subframe on the back (I'd like to be able to comment on the ride but I've never had the opportunity.)

Funnaly (sp) enough my Dad was offered a test ride on a new K1200LT, all that was needed was a copy of his licence and that you were insured by Carole Nash.

Is there much hassle getting the bikes in from Europe? Other than the dreaded VRT :mad: I've looked around some of teh european sites and the bikes seem to be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Kazujo.........you only THINK it's not your cup of tea.......you really should try one sometime. Actually, I sold my car yesterday, and I'm replacing that with either a Tiptronic or DSG gearbox car if at all possible.......

As for bringing in from Europe - it's not that hard. First there's VRT - it it's less than 6 mths old or 6k kms, there's 21% VAT on it too. Then you have to find someone who's prepared to crate it, and then hire a trucking company to collect it. A few dealers I've dealt with won't crate/palletise bikes.

You could fly over/ride it back, but I invariably buy in Winter and the weather is crap.

Even if the bike is the same money by the time you get it home, I've always found that where you've gained is in condition, and the fact that there's a wider range of models/colours etc available.

Of course, not everyone is prepared to buy 'blind' either, and I usually end up dealing with main dealers, which makes it a tad more expensive than buying privately.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I will try one, but for the moment I'm pretty ,much set on getting a VFR in about 2 years (insurance allowing) Might take a trip to the continent for it, get to know it on the way back :D

...VFR...750?....just beware that bike in Germany and especially France are restricted. And not with a poxy washer in the exhaust either.....

Mind you, a friend of mine bought a new GSXR-750 SRAD out there - restricted - but I can't say I noticed.........

Ode To The Motorist

I don't suppose that restriction is recoginised by Irish insurers?

• Advertisement

nope

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

It's taken more than two years and a $50 bag of stainless steel fasteners (the quality of the stock fasteners is truly ****e, with no improvement on the 1200 - just what *are* their QA dept up to???), but the 1150GS has definitely grown on me. Mind you, when you're 6'7", you don't really have that many options. :) Still, it does handle well and gives pretty reasonable fuel economy too.
    BTW, you omitted the worst part about GS weather protection: the way rainwater pools in your crotch due to the saddle design. Rubber cacks, ahoy! :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the history, Galwaytt.... Enjoyable reading..

I think that some of the reasons you dislike the GS are the very reasons that make the bike enjoyable for me (no, not the finish, fasteners, weather protection or 'clean-ability'!). I'm a little over 6 foot, and for the first time don't feel cramped on a motorcycle and find the handlebars to be in the perfect position for me..

But sweet Jebus, you're absolutely spot-on about the fasteners (which are a constant cause of concern, particularly the quick-release black plastic pieces which house the very 'steal'able BMW badges - what were they thinking?), the finish (which although it has not caused me any problems to date, is a topic of great debate on the UKGSer site), and weather protection, for which you need a rubber-neck if you're over 5 feet tall (rumoured to be fixable with a set of torbinators).

Brakes are better than anything I've previously owned, but that says more about my previous bikes than the brakes on the BMW (Suzuki SV1000s, Suzuki Sv650s, Suzuki RF400, and a Honda CBR250).. and with regard to cleaning the bike, it is a rotten job (and unfortunately by necessity a very regular one), but I kind'a new what I was getting into before I bought the bike so nothing unexpected there..

It's a bit crappy that there are only two BM dealers in the country, but I reckon they must have gotten a kick up the xxx since your last visit, as both dealers were bending over backwards to give me a test ride.. In the end of the day, I went with that crowd that will not be named (near the SurgarLoaf!) who looked after me very well, but offered me a pittance on a part-ex....

Your experiences with the Aprillia (particularly in comparison to the GS) are very interesting... Perhaps when I have as much bike experience as you do, I'll consider a change.. But for the time being, I'm loving the GS, and will be sticking with it for a few years to come (if the finish lasts!).

I reckon motorcycles and scooters are like larger and stout... I enjoy Guinness, but not as much as a pint of Heineken.. I know I could develop a taste for Guinness, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to...Just yet.... :D

Garibaldi.........sometimes working in a place that sells s/steel fasteners has it's advantages..... ;)

And you're right about the seat - the RT one does that too, and it's horrible for anything longer than an hour even in the dry. That's the next item on the list, btw, custom seat. Heated......... :p

Krusty...I'm not advocating swopping the GS for an AA, I'm a "both/and" rather than an "either/or" person when it comes to bikes.......

Kazujo....the VFR is a v.good bike, btw..........

John

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

galwaytt wrote:
    That's the next item on the list, btw, custom seat. Heated......... :p

John

COoooooooooooooool!! :cool: :cool: :cool: I'm off to look at beemers at the weekend- hopefully i'll be buying my first 'big bike'! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What are you looking for tk?

maybe a f650 :D

tk, I'd make sure to get a test ride on the 650 if I were you. I had one for about a week whilst some serious work was being done on my 1150, and the vibration was unbelievably bad. Now, the one I had was restricted (would that have *any* bearing on the vibration? I dunno), so it wouldn't do more than 110kmh with the throttle to the stop, but the ride was so uncomfortable you wouldn't stay there very long. Mirrors were unusable, also due to the vibes. The good thing about it was that it made my traditionally agricultural engine seem as smooth as a baby's arse when I got it back. :) (I'm trying desperately not to say anything about how you, being a girl, might actually enjoy the vibes but....ah bollox! I've gone and said it now :mad: )

TBH it'll prob be too big for me cos i'm only 5-1 - I just want to see it up close! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

tk123 wrote:
    TBH it'll prob be too big for me cos i'm only 5-1 - I just want to see it up close! :D

i was going to suggest a transalp, but maybe that might be a wee bit too high... :D

Garibaldi.....you must have had a bad one or something, but the one we had was great. Not as smooth as a Jap bike, sure, but since when were bikes mandated to be smooth anyway?
    tk123.....I saw an nice R850R advertised in Dub privately a while ago, and I got to test ride it. It was very nice, and I liked the low seat it had compared to my own bike. I might have his details somewhere ........

Ode To The Motorist

Yeah, I sorta thought it was an unusually bad one, but I didn't have another to compare it with. Still, something to be aware of that a test ride would sort for you straight away. At least BMW actually let you take a test ride, unlike almost every other bike shop I've been in. :rolleyes:

TK- how'd you get on ??

b.t.w......here's the one my wife had. I had the taller one myself, for a while. Her's, with street tyres/smaller wheels, taller screen etc, was nicer to ride.

Ode To The Motorist

I didn't get around to going in the end will prob have a look next week!

Advertisement