Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Beetle!!!

Options
  • 13-09-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I just found this guy(picture attached) in my sitting room this evening.
    On the web (s)he appears to be some type of Amara beetle.
    Does anyone know what kind it is?
    Has anyone seen this type before?

Cheers
    JC

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Looks like a Cockroach to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Hellrazer,
    That was my initial thought too.
    But have a look here.....very similar except my guy is 3 times larger.

Do we have cockroaches that size in Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

JackieChan wrote:
    But have a look here.....very similar except my guy is 3 times larger.

Nah i'd definitely say that's a cockroach. It has nothing on the beetle in that photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think it's a cockroach - it's body doesn't look long enough and it's too wide/fat..shine a light on him and see if he legs it - thats what i used to do with the cockroches in my minging apt in america! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Found one of those guys in my garden before. I just presumed it was a cockroach!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are LOADS of differnt species of cockroach (YUK) I even have a breeding colony of cuban burrowing roaches to feed to my lizards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bond-007 wrote:
    There are LOADS of differnt species of cockroach (YUK) I even have a breeding colony of cuban burrowing roaches to feed to my lizards.

Id be interested in a colony setup like that.Any pointers.Crix are costing me a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Birdie

Cockroach's Don't have Wings, But if you look close enough you can kinda see a wing like thing under the hard Shell, the shell being hard makes it a beetle. I Think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Def looks like a variety of cockroach to me. Its becoming much more of a problem here every year.

Bit of advice, unless you want to be plagued with them, deal with it sooner rather than later, their breeding rate is utterly amazing (google it). ;)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

it's a cockchafer NOT a cockroach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 smacksy

Hi there,

It's not a cockroach, it's a great diving beetle (Dytiscus marginalis), a female I think due to the ridges on her wing cases. Do you have a pond in or near your garden? They often fly at night looking fo new ponds to live in and any bit of water shining will attract them down. They feed on worms, snails, tadpoles and even small fish. Fascinating beasties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I'm no expert on insects but I do have an interest in them! :)
    All I can say is that we can get some VERY large beetles in Ireland. I worked in a factory once out in the wilds of Co. Limerick and the caretaker once showed me a beetle the size of a mouse he took out from under one of the machines! I like bugs but that yoke scuttling like lightning over his hands gave me the heeby-jeebies! (he was a nice man and put it outside safely)

Advertisement