Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delicate question re puppy poo...faint-hearted don't look!

Options
  • 13-09-2005 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi All
    We have our gorgeous Westie Jack about ten days now and he's thriving. He's 9 weeks old. chewing everything and everyone in sight (had a great time buying toys to replace my fingers) and is bursting with energy.

My question is about his food - the breeder gave us dried food to soak and mix with a spoon of wet puppy food for his meals. He loves it.
    But as the day goes on his stools get looser, then normal again in the morning.

He has a voracious appetite and we feed him 5-6 times a day, just small amounts (about 4 teaspoons of the soaked dried food and a small tablespoon of the wet food mixed together).
    Are doing something wrong or feeding him too much?
    It's very hard to refuse when he stands by his empty bowl with those big puppy eyes. He gets loads of exercise as my husband is on sick leave at the moment (not that sick!) and tons of play.
    Any advice from experienced people very welcome!!!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Its not that your feeding him too much, its more your timing / feeding schedule.

Basically, once they are over 12 weeks (somtimes less) its best to start them on a morning and night only, feeding schedule. 15mins later you bring them outside till they "poop" and then they can come back in. (Even if it means you standing out there for an hour its worth it in the long run, bring a book and maybe music and a ciggie lol ;) )
    Praise him muchly *when* he poops. But hold back till then, and as soon as he does, *then* he can come back in, he will soon learn to poop as soon as he goes out lol ;)

Its not just good for their stomach its a good behavioural technique.

As he is only 9 weeks, I would suggest cutting down on the watery part of the food and going more towards the dried if you can get him to take it (Slowly phase out the wet food)....just always make sure he has access to a water bowl and change it as often as you can (for some reason a lot of puppies seem to hate water that is room temp lol).

You will just have to learn to ignore his pleadings, hard as it may be, it will stop as soon as he sees you are the one in control.

Puppies sure aint easy an westies are damnedwell not easy lol, but putting in the time now will save you a whole world of problems later :)

They are prone to eye problems hip problems and obesity problems later in life, and this is all helped if you start them off "properly" diet wise.

A westie in charge of his own food is a dangerous thing, I regularly see one like that and he is *the* most nippy bitey obnoxious fat, unhealthiest little thing you can possibly imagine, purely down to his owners letting him dictate what he eats and when.

Bear in mind that lovely as they may be, a westie is a VERY clever beast when it comes to manipulation of its owner lol, they like things their own way and are *very* strong willed, and when they dont get it, the sulk for ages somtimes lol. Tis all part of their "charm" ;)

Hope that helps :)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks Franknfurter
    Do you mean not soak the dried at all - or still give it to him soaked and softas we're doing and as the breeder showed me?

Is it the Pedigree Chum puppy food that's causing the ..erm..wateriness?
    I 've gotten such conflicting advice in different books on raising your pup!

He's already got the idea about pooing and peeing outdoors and only does it in the house at night or if he can't get out (if I'm away for a couple of hours) -he couldn't hold it at that age. We started the drill immediately we got him and he cottoned on quick!

So we should feed him less often? maybe 4 times a day - morning, lunchtime, 5ish and 9ish? How would that be?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

According to my information, Pedigree is about the worst food you can buy for a dog. That is because it is "designed" much more for human eyes and noses than dogs stomachs, i.e lots of colours, softeners, hardeners, aromas ...you name it.

There is no need for a special "puppy" food either ...most of them contain waay too much protein (30% or more), resulting in a very hyper pup.

Try switching to a high grade food with a protein content of 20 - 25%, as little artificial whatevers as possible and as much "real" meat (as opposed to meat derivatives) as you can get. For a pup it would be best, if the kibbles aren't too big ...but not too small either or he will just gulp them down whole.

Don't change food abpruptly (mega runs !) but phase out the old food gradually by adding more and more of the new food every day.

Don't fall for the marketing tricks and buy all these expensive foods just because it says "puppy" or "small dog" or even "westi" on it, but try to get the best quality you can get ...but stick with something that is easily and always available / in stock ...otherwise you have to change food everytime you go shopping.

I can't really recommend any specific make or brand as all dogs react differently to different foods and have different tastes as well.

Personally I wouldn't recommend wet / canned food though, as it contains too much water in relation to nutrients (results in a lot of poo :D ), is messy and goes off quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

I agree pedigree is probably one of the worst. I have five and feed them all on Royal Canin it's pricy but worth it and they never get it wet. I have always given them dry food you just need to make sure that they get pleny of water.

Thanks peasant and rose of jericho
    Sorry for being so dim but do you mean I shouldn't soak the dried food at all?
    Just give it too him as is? Are his teeth able for that? The little round biscuit things (kibbles?) do get very mushy when you soak them and he drinks plenty.

He was really hyper yesterday evening - I was knackered trying to wear him out. The breeder had been mixing a tablespoon of Brandy dog food with his soaked dried food but I noticed he had gas (really pongy) every evening so in my innocence I switched to a puppy food thinking the Brandy was too rich for him.
    Last night's poo (sorry) was a liquid heap. Very difficult to clean off the grass!!
    Thanks so much for your help!!
    Goffie (and Jack, not that he's bothered!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I agree pedigree is probably one of the worst. I have five and feed them all on Royal Canin it's pricy but worth it and they never get it wet. I have always given them dry food you just need to make sure that they get pleny of water.

I agree and only use dry complete nuts for my dogs too though not Royal Canin - never a problem with the dogs and better for their teeth also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

At his age you shoudln't need to soak it anymore or at least reduce the amount of water you use to soak it in until he gets used to the drier food. Agree about pedigree chum, they stink to high heaven from it. Burns or Roayl canine is better, and is economical and no stinky puppy poop and no toxi gases coming from their behind :eek:

Has he been wormed regularly?

Thanks everyone!
    Def cutting out the Pedigree and will cut way back on the soaking.

Can you get the Royal Canine or Burns in the supermarket or only in the vets?
    He hasn't been wormed since we got him - about 10 days ago and I'm not sure when he was last. I have worm tablets bought. Would it be a good idea to give him one tonight and what's the best way to do it?

I've been using a flea comb on him daily and will ask the vet to give him that preventative shot when he goes for his 12 week vaccination.

So grateful for your patience!

Advantage flea drops is a good flea preventative, within 24 hours of putting it on the dog there are usually no fleas left. Extra hoovering around the house will prevent any more fleas popping up.

Royal Canine and Burns are usually only available at the vets not sure if any pet shops to them. For a Westie sized dog it won't work out any dearer than the ped. chum. Ask for a measuring cup too, I found it really handy with my two dogs, not more opening tins half asleep in the morning. I found the burns filled my two as well, they wern't begging as much after. Then again puppies will beg and eat till they burst anyways :D

Best of luck with the new diet, sounds like a lovely pup aside from the stinky poops :D

Thanks GPR, you're a mine of info!
    Feel reassured now that there's nothing wrong with him and will get on to vets re Royal Canine and Burns.
    He's a gorgeous pup - I tried to post a photo but was told it was too large and haven't mastered Winzip yet...so much to learn, not just doggy-wise.

I genuinely thought he was still hungry when he went looking for more - who's running this show anyway? Not me, by the looks of it

What do you think of giving him a worming tablet?

Don't worry, I'll shut up shortly!!!

• Advertisement

If the person who had him before wormed him already and you've had him 10 days I'd leave it another week before you worm him again, if it's a Drontol tablet a 1/4 of one should be enough but double check with your vet.
    There's another wormer called Parazole which is very good for young pups and kittens etc more gentle on their tums and kills off more types of worms too.

It's best for the pup and any other critter to leave 48 hours between worming, de flea and vaccinating. That way their system won't get too overloaded with everything.

You'll see a huge difference in the poop after a week of feeding the dry food, he will drink lots more water than if fed with tinned so don't worry too much about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

You should be able to get Royal Canin in a pet shop I can get mine there. After all shamrock foods supply most of the dog food brands that you see in pet shops and supermarkets and they also supply Royal Canin. And one bag of royal canin should last you a long time if you only have one dog and especially if you use the measuring cup. It's worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Make sure that you are feeding him plenty of protein.
    YOur dog seems perfectly healthy. Stools come in different forms and it not necessarily something to worry about. I would suggest trying Oke Krok with just a little milk if he is a puppy. Plenty of nutrients in it. and everything that the dog needs in fairness. After a while start giving some protein in form of red meat etc. When the pup is old enough go to the butchers and ask for a big bone or maybe even some lites(lungs) for your dog. Its great for teet and digestion too. I find it helps their digestion too( with my dogs anyway I noticed.)

Stools change as they get older too. You will notice this and as long as your are balancing their rda and giving plenty of protein. YOu are doing best you can. Try and give most nutritious types of feeds with plenty of vitamins.

Im not vet but you should just do your bit and your dog should be grand.

Advertisement