Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricians - whats a toner?

Options
  • 13-09-2005 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Boyfriends birthday - he's an Electrician and mentioned he wants a toner - what is it? He won't give me any details and says i have to find out the rest - so I don't know if he's only pulling my leg -is there such a thing? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think he is pulling ur leg SunFlower, u could be really smart and on his birthday that you have ordered the toner from the hardware store and that it will be in next week, then get him an inkjet toner cartridge, wrap it and present it.
    that will teach him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

electrician here but never heard of it except for printers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zoso

Could be a Tone & Probe kit ? Have heard of these refered to as toners once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tell him you couldn't find a toner and get him a bucket of sparks instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sunflower5

Like your idea Yop! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Miley

Could be a tone set. (Tone & Probe kit)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Give him an empty box and tell him its a bubble for his spirit level!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why won't he tell you what it is? If he won't tell you it just sounds like he's trying to wind you up.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Sounds like he is looking for a tone and trace unit for tracing telephone cables etc, try www.radionics.ie or any decent electrical wholesaler, in all honesty if the boyf is a spark he will get it cheaper than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Jesus,Imagine asking for a present to do with work.Im a painter by trade and imagine me asking wife for a 6 inch stock brush and some lambs wools rollers please....No thank you....

Get him aftershave or something like that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

sunflower5 wrote:
    Boyfriends birthday - he's an Electrician and mentioned he wants a toner - what is it? He won't give me any details and says i have to find out the rest - so I don't know if he's only pulling my leg -is there such a thing? :confused:

sunflower!! another sparky here maybe he's looking for a massage!!

or a stretchy thing to work his muscels..lol

a toner is an oscillator that traces network cables..price 80-90euro in Lrwoods in ballymount..can't be that as trade only

don't go to radionics... rip off prices!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

an oscillator that traces network cables.
    Thats my guess too but i wouldn't buy anything until you know for sure thats what he wants.

It could also be one of those slender-tone things for toning muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah was thinking it was something for cat cables alright.

you could always buy him a rubber hammer and nails for that sky hook he wants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

heard one about apprentice butchers, being sent to find the puddin bender!! :D

heffo9 wrote:
    heard one about apprentice butchers, being sent to find the puddin bender!! :D

:D lol

a bucket of haww for cleaning the windows :)

or will ya get me a skirting ladder in the wholesalers :D

ive got loads of lads with the sky hook, you want to see the laugh's in the wholesalers.

Best of all is what company for the docket.

Botcha and leggit Ltd. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

have used this one a few times, works for most trades.
    "get me the long stand" :D

Sparky_S wrote:
    or will ya get me a skirting ladder in the wholesalers :D

Haha,I caught out an apprentice painter with this one on site,he disappeared for over half an hour looking around the site....

Needless to say he didnt speak to me for awhile after someone told him.... :D

Ah the good auld days....

What about the other messing on sites,nailed a fellas boots to the floor one time,we fell around place laughing as he tried to put them on.Or glued carpenters cup to floor....

screwing a lads safety jacket to the wall :D

pretending to get lifted out of it, got a few lads cursing for the afternoon :)

also one time on one of the apprentices i moved the neutral of the rcd, it kept tripping, he was for hours checking out what the fault was untill he discovered.

I suppose he learned from that lesson :D

Ok last one,(jesus I hate falling asleep on couch,look at time :rolleyes: ) anyway I used to love doing the this to the plumbers.

Used to fill bucket of water up and throw it under a rad down stairs,then call them in....The look on there face was classic then the rush up stairs/kitchen was a sight to see as plumber was turning off water at hotpress or under sink in kitchen.... :D

Ok nothing to do with a toner and off topic and I'm sorry, but good stories to people who know.Oh yeah Sparky_s did you ever have a "Phantom Crapper" on site? Theres always one.Someone used to crap in attics,never found out who he was.But site foreman/snagger I think came close to catching him because he changed his tact,as the shower trays started to get hit... :D

mad m wrote:
    Ok last one,(jesus I hate falling asleep on couch,look at time :rolleyes: ) anyway I used to love doing the this to the plumbers.

Used to fill bucket of water up and throw it under a rad down stairs,then call them in....The look on there face was classic then the rush up stairs/kitchen was a sight to see as plumber was turning off water at hotpress or under sink in kitchen.... :D

Ok nothing to do with a toner and off topic and I'm sorry, but good stories to people who know.Oh yeah Sparky_s did you ever have a "Phantom Crapper" on site? Theres always one.Someone used to crap in attics,never found out who he was.But site foreman/snagger I think came close to catching him because he changed his tact,as the shower trays started to get hit... :D

ha ha, classics :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement