Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping walls, found thick papery stuff

Options
  • 13-09-2005 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

While stripping walls in my new house (an old house, newly bought) yesterday I found in the kitchen a strange wall covering. It is painted on top and some parts of it came away cleanly, but the majority of it stuck fast. When I tried to pull it away it left behind a brown papery/cardboardy material that is VERY difficult to remove.

I have no idea what this stuff is, or how to get rid of it. I want to get the whole kitchen cleanly plastered and I think plastering on top of this mess will be difficult if not impossible.

Anyone know what it is and how to remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

chabsey wrote:
    While stripping walls in my new house (an old house, newly bought) yesterday I found in the kitchen a strange wall covering. It is painted on top and some parts of it came away cleanly, but the majority of it stuck fast. When I tried to pull it away it left behind a brown papery/cardboardy material that is VERY difficult to remove.

I have no idea what this stuff is, or how to get rid of it. I want to get the whole kitchen cleanly plastered and I think plastering on top of this mess will be difficult if not impossible.

Anyone know what it is and how to remove it?

when my parents where doing up our house (its over 100 years old , not sure hold old yours is) they found the walls stuffed with copies of cork examier from the 1890s......

how old is your house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When you do get some of this cardboardy stuff off is there white plaster behind it?
    If so you may be peeling the covering off the plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Time to get out the steamer and take it all off! :)

Advertisement