Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6600gt up in smoke..what ae my options?

Options
  • 12-09-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

hi, i just turned my PC and my 6600gt went up in smoke, it wasnt the core, it was one of the small chips near the edge of the board, its a club3D 6600gt 128mb, it has an artic cooler on it which voids warrenty, but i can put the old cooler on.

What are my options, are club3d strict with their rma's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I think one of boards members Pc went up same way....Hmmmm ah cant search it for you,I think it was a bloke on here called Gline His pc went up and he sent his Graphics card back(after putting original HS back on) and got a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Here is thread I was talking about link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yeah, I'd say stick the old cooler back on and try for an rma. The whole thing of an Arctic Cooler voiding warranties is daft anyway, since it is a better cooler than practically any stock cooler.
    One thing I would say is to ensure you use the 'right' type of thermal paste when refitting the original cooler. Don't put Arctic Silver on it if the original paste was some white stuff, or they will cop it when they see the differently coloured paste under the heatsink. Meths is pretty good at removing thermal paste and it evaporates nice and quickly. Can't tell you how strict Club3d are on rmas but I got a 9800Pro repaired lately by MSI after doing the AC to original cooler swap-back trick and they didn't make any complaint. Also try not to scratch the hex screws that the monitor connector screw into on the backplate when you are changing the AC backplate for the original, as this could be another give away.(If you use a pliers rather than a proper hex socket, they can get marked easily enough) If they are already visibly scratched then swap them with the screws from some other piece of hardware (like the parallel or serial port). These 2 are the main giveaway points so if you do it right they should have no grounds for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

think i'll rma it and get a http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309765&view=detailed

if the rma is sucessful flog it off for 140ish. wut ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Thats a pci card you gave a link to. You need an AGP i would bet. And if you get 140euros for your video card tell me who your selling it to. As i have some crap pc stuff hanging around and i might be able to flog it to him for a high price aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ive rma'd 2 phyiscally damaged gfx cards, 1 due to fire, 1 due to modding. ANd never a problem rma'ing, but that is with ATI, i dont know what club 3d are like, but id say u will have no problem, just stick stock cooler back on.

BadCharlie wrote:
    Thats a pci card you gave a link to. You need an AGP i would bet. And if you get 140euros for your video card tell me who your selling it to. As i have some crap pc stuff hanging around and i might be able to flog it to him for a high price aswell.

Eh... i think i know what kind of card i need PCI-E

gline wrote:
    ive rma'd 2 phyiscally damaged gfx cards, 1 due to fire, 1 due to modding. ANd never a problem rma'ing, but that is with ATI, i dont know what club 3d are like, but id say u will have no problem, just stick stock cooler back on.
    Good to hear it.

djmarkus wrote:
    Eh... i think i know what kind of card i need PCI-E

Right, well better to be safe then sorry. Lots of people have made the mistake just making sure you were not going to be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't think I've ever heard of a PCI version of the 6x00 series nV chips.
    That was your first error.
    The second was not actually reading the product title in the link and then saying "Thats a pci card you gave a link to. You need an AGP i would bet."

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    I don't think I've ever heard of a PCI version of the 6x00 series nV chips.
    That was your first error.
    The second was not actually reading the product title in the link and then saying "Thats a pci card you gave a link to. You need an AGP i would bet."

Im a lazy typer i left out the E cause i though everone would have knowing what i was on about. For some reasion i asummed that he had an AGP due to the spec of his card my fault.

"Goes slaps slef over wrist" in future must finish what i type!

Advertisement