Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some old irish shows...

Options
  • 12-09-2005 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if these have been mentioned or not yet, but does anyone rememnber....

Jo Maxi - With the couches lined with plastic and sweets? :D
    Pajo & The Salty Frog - All aboard!
    Pajo & The Salty Fog In Space - Nowhere near as good as the original.
    Murphy's Micro Quiz - Shamelessy ripped off by the Wachowski brothers in later years... :mad:
    Where In The World - The ubiquitous other half of the Glenroe Sunday night family double bill, with Teresa Lowe!
    The Beatbox - It was radio...and tv. Amazing. But not as amazing as Smiley Bolger.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I remember Murphy's Micro Quiz M though just vaguely. Anyone know of places for screenshots for memory refreshing?

I do remember Where In The World, God, I hated that cursed show!
    The Beatbox was OK, simulcast on 2fm, before getting rebranded 2tv in later years. It was a handy fix of music on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

where in the world...yes

the beatbox...was that on rte 2 and 2fm at the same time, hosted by dave fanning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Used to be on Network 2 befrore Home and Away, managed to feature on it when they came to our school.
    Pajo & The Salty Frog - All aboard!

Was he the ant-eater thing that had the pink hairdo?
    Murphy's Micro Quiz - Shamelessy ripped off by the Wachowski brothers in later years... :mad:

The prizes were crap compared to the british quizzes. remember the video games round they used to get the kids to play :D
    Where In The World - The ubiquitous other half of the Glenroe Sunday night family double bill, with Teresa Lowe!

At least it was better than murphy's micro quizem.

The Beatbox - It was radio...and tv. Amazing. But not as amazing as Smiley Bolger.

The Hotline with Barry Lang was better when it used to simulcast with 2FM during the christmas. The beat box played ****e that no one had ever heard of.

heres a few more

Mailbag Dear Arthur...

The End with Sean Moncrief, completely weird show. still though it had its funny moments.

TalkAbout Make a complete tit of yourself for £7 and a £1 pocket dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Bianca Luycx (sp) was on The Beatbox wasn't she? I was about 14 at the time and I never missed a show...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

lafortezza wrote:
    Bianca Luycx (sp) was on The Beatbox wasn't she? I was about 14 at the time and I never missed a show...
    Yeah, she was pretty hot alright! She's on Beat FM now I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

The End [/b] with Sean Moncrief, completely weird show. still though it had its funny moments.
    The End, didn't Barry Murphy used to present that as-well, I think that's where Apres Match started out.Also had classic comedies like Fawlty Towers on.

Great late night T.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i remember most british quizes the "losers" got a feckin pocket dictionary! whoop de feckin do! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ruu wrote:
    i remember most british quizes the "losers" got a feckin pocket dictionary! whoop de feckin do! :p
    I got a dictionary for losing on Talkabout as presented by Alan Hughes.

The whole show was rigged though... paid actors beat were the ones who beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Funny stuff.. didnt Dara O'Brian and Ray D'Arcy start out here? I'm sure a few others did too.
    Pajo & The Salty Fog In Space - Nowhere near as good as the original.
    I hated Pajo with a vengence!
    Murphy's Micro Quiz - Shamelessy ripped off by the Wachowski brothers in later years...
    One of the best shows on Irish TV IMO. Loved the bit when they played the computer games.
    Where'd she go? I thought she was annoying...
    Ah yeah, the Beatbox was legend... we'd have our radios on behind the sofa in the sitting room and it was like having stereo-surround sound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Hang your head in shame .A dictionary. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The one prize that you won't be lost for words

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I easily doubled the value of the dictionary by getting Alan Hughes to sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

One of my favourites was Nighthawks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I used to enjoy No1 with Dave Fanning. Rapid Roulette used to be on on tuesdays and it looked sophisticated for the 1980's. Garda Patrol was a righ laugh they looked so naff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Pass, africa 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Anyone remember Quicksilver? "Stop The Lights"! Who was the host of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Stop the lights. Bunny Carr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Wow there's some junkers up there all right! I wouldn't mind seeing an ep of Murphys Microquiz again tho. I remember I'd sit thru a full ep just to see the computer games the kids would get to play. They were always rubbish at em and it'd drive me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The only game I recall them ever playing was Centipede. ALWAYS :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Garda Patrol was a righ laugh they looked so naff!
    I may have been on drugs at the time, but wasn't the theme tune to Garda Patrol basically someone hitting a Bodhran in a random manner?

Murphy's Micro Jisum...ah yes, I remember it well. Was on Sundays either before or Glenroe/Bracken. The graphics/video games were done on a BBC Model B computer by Glanmire Electronics (who haven't gone away, you know).

• Advertisement
    byte

Does anyone remember a quiz show hosted by Brendan O Carroll? It wasn't as old as Quiz M. Can't remember the name but it featured him and 2 families on sofas IIRC.

Also, there was a rubbish quiz by Aonghus McAnally I think but my memory of this show is very vague. I seem to visualise bright backgrounds and wee rooms where a contestant would sit, possibly so as not to hear what their partner is saying?

god i hate brendan o carroll! i think the show was called Salt and Pepper or something like that, that was a pile of sheet also! :)

The only thing i can remember aongus mcanally in is Lyrics Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mailbag you cant beat it and what was the new updated verison of the it. I remenber they read out my email on the newer show on why aertel didnt have videoplus numbers bside the programmes.

Remenber the salty frog and where in the world.

what was the quiz show that gerry ryan had for a while. What was the format of where in the world and talkabout again.

think the Gerry Ryan one was called Secrets where someone got sludged in the end i think :) thats all i remember about the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

There was a pop quiz called Number One?? I think with Gerry Ryan and Dave Fanning as opposing captains and a member of some Irish band or other on each team each week and then 2 punters as well. It was presented by one of the Heffernan brothers, and Joe Elliot and his hair was always guesting on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ruu wrote:
    think the Gerry Ryan one was called Secrets where someone got sludged in the end i think :) thats all i remember about the show.

Thats the one. A the sludging really stupid way to end any show. Now if it was something interesting like caustic soda, now that would make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ruu wrote:

yeah but in the irish quiz the WINNER got the pocket dictionary, the looser got **** all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There was a couple of Gerry Ryan ones that I remember. Did one have a hamster in a maze or sumthing?

Also Glenroe. That theme tune always reminded me it was Sunday night and I had school in the morning! I hated that tune...

byte

Ugh, I can vaguely remember the theme tune to Glenroe, though I can remember better teh intro sequence, with lots of fields and Glean Rua / Glenroe.

Didn't that Miley charachter release a song about Glenroe or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Ruu wrote:
    god i hate brendan o carroll! i think the show was called Salt and Pepper or something like that......

Was actually called 'Hot Milk And Pepper'. Kind of a "match this item or phrase with it's counterpart" kind of game show. Also featured his long time comedic partner Gerry some-thing-or-other (can't remember his name right now! :D ) who kept the scores and played the keyboard and some such. And you're right, it was pretty crap and only lasted the one series, I think.
    Ruu wrote:
    think the Gerry Ryan one was called Secrets where someone got sludged in the end i think thats all i remember about the show.

Yeah, 'Secrets' was the one alright. Featured a computer game at the end where one of the contestants was blindfolded and had to hit targets on the screen (if I recall correctly, it was firing custard pies at characters who were popping up on screen or something, wasn't it?) by using a joystick, all the while being given instructions by their partner such as "up a bit, down, down, down, down, left a bit, no, no, no ya feckin' gobshíte, the OTHER left! okay, FIRE!", etc., etc. :D And I am pretty sure the computer they used was an Amiga, wasn't it (correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but I'm 99% sure it was)? As a computer geek I always used to keep and eye out for these things! ;):D

Tomohawk wrote:
    There was a pop quiz called Number One?? I think with Gerry Ryan and Dave Fanning as opposing captains and a member of some Irish band or other on each team each week and then 2 punters as well. It was presented by one of the Heffernan brothers, and Joe Elliot and his hair was always guesting on it...

Yeah, remember that well, used to always watch it. You're right, Joe Elliot (and his massive hair! :D ) nearly always seemed to be on it. He was kind of like an almost semi-regular guest musician on it. As were Brush Shiels and Smiley Bolger. Those three always seemed to turn up on it.

If I remember correctly, Gerry Ryan threw a massive wobbly on one episode when he accused the quizmaster of deliberately not responding to his buzzer and automatically handing the question over to the opposing team captain (think it may have been Ian Dempsey on this occassion). Or something along those lines anyway. Come to think of it actually, didn't Gerry Ryan always seem to be getting annoyed on that show and was always throwing wobbly's? Very, very bad looser, as I recall. :rolleyes: :D
    byte wrote:
    Didn't that Miley charachter release a song about Glenroe or something?

Ah yes, that would be the now infamous "Byroad To Glenroe". I can almost hear the tune in my head right now. Excuse me while I go throw up! :eek: :D

Advertisement