Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Vs Letterkenny

Options
  • 12-09-2005 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi
    A mate of mine works in Dun Laoighre council and has a job opportunity in both Sligo and Letterkenny - pretty similar job (planning).

She's never been to Sligo and only went to Letterkenny once when younger.

She doesn't know which town to go to and knows very little about both. Can anyone fill us in on the pros and cons of both?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are kinda similar, although I like Sligo better.
    Simply, tell your frind to drive up and spend a weekend in the towns, to get the feel for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think letterkenny's a nicer place, its growing quickly, very vibrant and not too many locals. But I would never, ever take a planning job with Donegal Co. Co, unless you're into the whole corruption thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I think if she is travelling to and from ant any stage i think she will find that 2 hours is the main difference. I went to Sligo It for 4 years and had a great four years there.
    If the job is planning relating to teh towns themselves then Sligo probably has the best opportunitues. + it has a train to dublin (all be it a ****e one;))

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

basically just get her to visit both places and see which she prefers as it is all preference.we have a new shopping centre in sligo though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As a native of Ballybofey, I hate to admit that if it was me choosing between Sligo or Letterkenny. My choice would have too be Sligo every time.

As for working in the local authority planning department. That is not a job for anyone without skin as thick as an elephant's, you would not get me working in planning for a million bucks a year. ;)

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

letterkenny...if you like argos... (that never has the right product!!!)

but i'd pick sligo. because thats my oppinion, both have good job opps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Been out in both places many times...lived in Letterkenny for 4 years now...fantastic place to live so it gets my vote.

Good point about travel though sligo is a lot easier to get back to dublin from. But if she wants somewhere thats good craic letterkenny's your place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I've been in LK for 4 years - love the place. I've a couple of mates from Sligo who would rate LK over their home place, which says a lot

That said, it's a bit of a drive up! Sligo's handier to get to other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Well I've lived in both towns (I'm from Sligo), I loved Letterkenny, but was never too keen on Sligo Town.

Having said that, if I had a choice I'd take the job in Sligo and live in the County not the town.

Pros for both:

Sligo Pros
    -An good train service (well I heard it's become a good one - new trains, more service etc.
    -Sligo is bigger, there's more possibilities.
    -Gateway City.

Letterkenny Pros:

- I love Derry City, that just a stone's throw away from Letterkenny
    - Donegal men ( the accents get me every time (stop those thoughts, I'm married)
    - From my experience the people in Letterkenny are friendlier and more openthan those in Sligo town

Both areas have beautiful scenery (when you get outside of the towns)

It's hard to advise her, it's a decision she will need to make herselt, she should take a weekenend away in each town and decide herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

yeah i heard about that place, supposed to be pretty damn big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paul_theman

Hi. I work in Sligo and live in Letterkenny. Sligo has 10 years of development to catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bigpaw-sligo

i live in sligo but go to college in letterkenny!!the nite life in letterk is brilliant,a lot better than sligo,better pubs and clubs.pretty similar in terms of shopping.no trains in letterk so thats a downer.close call but the two of them are the same in most things.its a judgement call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

go to letterkenny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jakkass wrote:
    go to letterkenny ;)
    Or even ballbofey my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Really don't think Danny Boy is too interested in your replies.. seeing how he hasn't logged in since: 13-09-2005 10:42

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No need to login to read the excellent advice we give!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

;) the advice is undisputable what is said goes :p

Advertisement