Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Insulation - Dry Lining

Options
  • 12-09-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any companies in Dublin area who will stick up slabs/boards of plasterboard backed by insulation and and skim it?

Anyone ever try to do it themselves?

I have seen it done; I guess if I could get the boards up, I could find a plasterer later?

Desmo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Desmo - The plasterboarding itself is not hard if u are not afraid of a bit of physical work.

Then get your plasterer as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

yop wrote:
    Desmo - The plasterboarding itself is not hard if u are not afraid of a bit of physical work.

Then get your plasterer as you said

Ok the time I saw a guy do it, he glued up the boards and fixed them as well using screws/plugs with big plastic heads. He was the plasterer and did this regularly. I know how to do it using battens but that will add on loads of extra thickness. The skirtings and light fittings and plugs I can handle but the central heating is a bit scarier. There is a lot of pricking around to sort these out. Anyway, I would prefer to try to get a company in to do it but I suspect I need to find a general builder. In the latter case, that usually means doing it yourself or waiting ages to find one. I am only back in Dublin 2 years and do not have a tame one located.

Desmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Desmo,

Any particular reason for dry lining direct to the wall ? you can get a nice finished surface or maybe some sound insulation but if there is any damp showing you should leave a vented space between the wall and the insulation.

The plastic fixings can be a bit slow because each fixing point has to be drilled, if doing it yourself try and get an SDS drill and bit they make the job so much easier.

The radiator shouldn't be a problem just makes the job interesting ;)

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Desmo,

Any particular reason for dry lining direct to the wall ? you can get a nice finished surface or maybe some sound insulation but if there is any damp showing you should leave a vented space between the wall and the insulation.

The plastic fixings can be a bit slow because each fixing point has to be drilled, if doing it yourself try and get an SDS drill and bit they make the job so much easier.

The radiator shouldn't be a problem just makes the job interesting ;)

Hi Pete:

the only reason for fixing directly to the wall is to reduce the amount of house I eat away. It is purely to get insulation as I do not think I have a cavity if you will pardon the expression. The house was built in 1950s. ANy idea if houses of that age had cavities?? I do take the point about the drill and drilling. The guy I saw do it had a big fat cement covered professional one
    (as distinct from my dainty black and decker).

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Des,

1950's the people wanted a solid wall very often mass concrete although it could have been the very early 9" cavity block.

Easy enough to test by drilling a hole, 100 mm should be enough also you can measure the width of the wall at the front or back door, the width should total about 275 mm.

Any condesation problems ? or have the permanent vents been kept active ? very important if you have a solid wall.

You don't need big drills for SDS anymore, I have a neat Hilti 110 volt and an 18 volt cordless both perform well and the Hilti is surprisingly light.

Have fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Des I have a house built in 1972 and the insulation is terrible / non existant so with the price of heating oil i have decided to get the hall stairs and landing dry lined . I have a guy who gave me a very reasonable price but the problem now is trying to pin him down to a date as he seems to be very busy .

Des I have a house built in 1972 and the insulation is terrible / non existant so with the price of heating oil i have decided to get the hall stairs and landing dry lined . I have a guy who gave me a very reasonable price but the problem now is trying to pin him down to a date as he seems to be very busy .

Droool; gasp;
    ok name your price. Sexual favours are probably out (unless middle aged overweight Dubliners with beards are your cup of tea) but I will not rule out anything it takes to get someone good in. I live in Monkstown. How much will it cost to get you to ask him if he wants a similar job in Monkstown (after you pin him down)? I can cook, clean, tell jokes, identify insects, do simple plumbing, repair skirting boards, do the messages, clean your windows??

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Des Identify Insects ! Sounds very interesting .I will ask him first as i dare not give out his details without asking and if he is happy to do it or talk to you i will PM you details .

Regards

IS

Des Identify Insects ! Sounds very interesting .I will ask him first as i dare not give out his details without asking and if he is happy to do it or talk to you i will PM you details .

Regards

IS

That is great!!!
    That is all I can ask you to do.
    For what it is worth, I need hall, landing and some bits dry lined with insulating board. Almost all of it has no central heating or electrics to mess around with.
    If it made it more attractive, I can also get him to do some front and back rooms and the attic room. If he says no, that is fine; I will forgive you :-).
    Thanks anyway!!

Des

Advertisement