Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish tank prob

Options
  • 12-09-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

well within the last week the water has turned a murky yellow colour and ive lost two fish. I dont know what to do now. ive changed the water but it just comes back. any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Some more info would help. How long is the tank running? What are your stocking levels? What sort of decor?

The water discolouration could simply be staining from bogwood if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi mate. have the tank 4 months now. Decor is just a castle and two plastic plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

blahblah06 wrote:
    well within the last week the water has turned a murky yellow colour and ive lost two fish. I dont know what to do now. ive changed the water but it just comes back. any ideas
    make sure your filter is ok this happens if it is only a new filter also.

hi ya the filter is fine. full power and what not. just very odd. the only thing in the fluval 3 + filter is the white part in the middle is dirty how often does this need to be replaced and cud that be the prob

If by the white part you mean the sponges.I only change mine every 2 years or so but clean them with tank water every 2 months(approx). could it be an algage problem?

• Advertisement

Whats that exactly mate. i have all the liquds and they havent worked at all. could i be changing thw ater to much? one bucket every saturday ?

no depending on the size of the tank 1 bucket*1 a week should be fine.I change about 20% of the water every week.If you have alot of algage(spelling) in the tank it can turn the water a brawn shade

its really a pure yellow colour. my head is stumped on this one

I am not sure what else you could do. i would change all the water/gravel clean filter etc .I could lend you a small tank to hold your fish while you work on your own or i could take the fish for a while while your filter settles once they were not tropical marine fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is the gravel new? Did you aggitate the gravel when cleaning it or something. I had red gravel once .. and it made the water red.

Also, are you sure you didn't have visitors dump their tea in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I had a prob like that before but i changed my plastic plants for real ones and got two small loaches and a small cat fish to help keep the tank clean. Was getting an algae build up on the glass and the water was murky. Not any more!!!!

Hi Child thanks for the offer mate i appreciate that. i bought some cat fish and it seems to be working. doesnt look as bad. ill keep use updated

Advertisement