Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter Costs?

Options
  • 12-09-2005 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

So thinkin of getting a 50cc scooter for getting to and from work. I'm 24 (25 in November) - 3.5 yrs no claim bonus on car insurance (might not be relevant) - full driving license (car) etc.

Realistically what costs am I going to encounter, and how much can I expect them to be.

1. Basic scooter (preferrably with compartment for helmet) NEW/SECONDHAND
    2. Insurance (considerably cheaper in november?)
    3. Tax?
    4. Other costs (eg helmet etc.).

All replies greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

1. Basic scooter (preferrably with compartment for helmet) NEW/SECONDHAND Anywhere from (€1,300 to €2,700) depending on how much you want to spend
    2. Insurance (considerably cheaper in november?)
    Around €500
    3. Tax?
    €32
    4. Other costs (eg helmet etc.).
    Good helmet €200, good lock €50+

Overall around €2000 (cheapest) to €3,500. Might get a good second hand one in some of the scooter shops like Skooter or SkooterIsland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Do I need anthing else done with my licence? Categories added etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you have a full B licence then you automatically get an M licence so you should be ok.

last question... any scooter shops in ireland have websites, with pics, prices and other stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

your no claims off your car wont mean anything in terms of bike insurance, but i would wait until you are 25, there will be a serious drop in your quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Try the following;

www.planetfun.org
    www.bikeworld.ie

Here you will get links, at least, to the major manufacturers and online pricelists.

Both shops have an extensive range of bikes and mopeds on show.

Costs wise - and new 50cc should cost no more that €2900. (I have a May '04 Suzuki moped I might be selling closer to Christmas if you might be interested.)

If you are buying new, most places will include a helmet & gloves.

3rd party only insurance is much cheaper and might be worth considering on a second hand machine.

Road Tax will cost you €37 for the year.

Running costs - I get about 75km per €1 petrol. Oil €5 per month.

Allow for servicing as well - every 3000km or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Skooter are no longer in business near the jervis center. They closed down about 6 months ago.

Try http://www.scooterisland.com/ Tel: Dublin 6710808 prices from €1200 2ndhand to €2750 for a new scooter.

You are strictly limited to a 50cc scooter on a M licence. Please dont listen to anyone who tells you that you can drive a bigger cc bike on a M licence. They are wrong!! It is illegal and will immediatley invalidate your insurance. I have heard anecdotely of one smart arse currently doing this on a 125, but he is a right gordon and will never get insured again when he's eventually caught out!!

Of course you could apply for a provisional motorbike licence and that would allow you to drive a bigger cc bike. It also would have benefits in the medium term if you were to like the whole bike driving experience and wished to progress further in the future. The cost of a Provisional Licence is €15.00 Something else to think about.

Also buy yourself good leather gloves €50+, raingear €45+, and a high vis jacket €10+ for the dank winter mornings and evenings. You could get the rain gear/ high vis jacket in Army Bargains capel street.

Happy scootering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Here is another Irish scooter shop down south. They sell old lammys too.

http://www.southsidescooters.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Get a good lock and a good set of rain gear for it .
    Dont leave it anywhere unless ya have it chained up to something , I learned the hardway and Im still paying for it.
    Yea a good set of oil skins is a good idea coming into this weather and dont try skimp on the gloves or your hands will be in ribbons.

Well cost is a major factor for me. So I've been thinking I might go with a Peugeot Ludix One. Its the most basic of the basic, but will do the job I think. Mountjoy Motorcycles have them for €1,295 apparantly. Its only one seat as well, so AON will give a 25% discount on the insurance.

One other thing - I had a look at my driving licence. I have a full category B. However, category M isn't even on the card. Just the A,B,C,D and E categories. There are no Category M or W fields even on the licence. Something not quite right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There are no Category M or W fields even on the licence. Something not quite right?
    No, a full Irish B licence implies M and W. It's to do with the fact that only categories A-E are harmonised across the EU. If your licence stated you had M or W, this could mean quite a different thing (or be meaningless) in another EU country.

Older pink licences did have W categories and I think they had M for a while as well, but new ones don't have either.

So the fact you can't see M or W doesn't matter at all, they're automatically included in a class B full licence.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Id suggest getting a Honda X8rs or a gilera runner. You would pick up a 03 for about 1000 depending on condition.
    Best bikes by far on will give least hasssle in the future if you pick one up in good condition.

Plus these bikes have a bit more power than the one you suggested. This can make huge difference to your safety. For this reason alone id go for one of the bikes.

Advertisement