Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe (Miles Davis/Weather Report) Zawinal on BBC 4!

Options
  • 11-09-2005 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Not often you get to see something like this on tv so set your videos for
    DOCUMENTARY: Joe Zawinul: A Musical Portrait
    Channel: BBC 4 (Digital Terrestrial)
    Date: Friday 16th September 2005
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00
    Duration: 1 hour.
    Profile of Joe Zawinul, one of the jazz world's most exciting and creative keyboard players and composers. He was a major influence on Miles Davis, for whom he wrote In a Silent Way, and co-founded the internationally feted fusion band Weather Report with Wayne Shorter. This portrait features live music from the Joe Zawinul Syndicate and conversations filmed at his home in Malibu and in Vienna where he was born.

Its repeated twice once the same night and on the Sunday after.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Cool, If I'm around I'll be watching. Did NTL digital only recently get BBC 4 cause I don't remember watching it before last night.

Good stuff. Did you check out Linley Marthe on bass? Outrageous! His Fender Jazz tone is perfect and his rythmic playing is mental. Wouldn't know where to start trying to learn some of that. Good to see Bodrana still there and looking very scary. Gonna get me a copy of Bitches Brew tomorrow just for In A Silent Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

Don't you mean you're gonna get In A Silent Way just for In A Silent Way :?

Nice one, I would have gone and spent a few euros for the wrong toon.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

no probs :)
    its a nice tune, worth having

• Advertisement

I have a twenty minute live version but never knew who it was by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was dissapointed by the programme as I was expecting an historic overview of his life not a "day in the life" with recent performance stuff thrown in. Was looking forward to him talking about the Miles Davis sessions, oh well.

I love In a Silent Way.

Mike.

Yeah, I had a feeling people wanting to hear about the history of his career might be a little disapointed. I had recently purchased the cd of the gig of the footage shown on the docu and was well pleased to see Linley Marthe play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 graphite

Does anyone know if you can get this on DVD?

I tried to record it twice but reception of BBC4 here is less than great so the sound keeps dipping out every few seconds.

He is such an amazing musician, it would be great to see the whole thing.

Thanks,
    Richard

Advertisement