Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to Honda Deauville and need advice

Options
  • 11-09-2005 4:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Peeps, i changing from a yamaha virago 125 (which ive been on for over 4 years) to a honda deauville. I have a full bike license 2 years. Ive gone through the mill and reasoning for why im changing etc and i like the deauville most and it most suits my means.

However as im used to the cruiser, im little nervous when i get on the bike as its obviously a big change in power, weight etc etc.

Just looking for some tips really! Hopefully getting it tuesday.

Also if anyone knows of any decent advanced rider courses it would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

nice jump in power :-)

first thing you will notice is the positioning of you feet will be a bit different, i have driven quite a few bikes and that one always gets me :-)

my advice would be when you get it WATCH THE SPEEDO, when i first upgraded from a gn125 to bros400 i found i was doing 50mph in a 30 zone without noticing it at all. Also if you can go to an empty carpark just so you can get used to how the bike feels at low speed & turning, figure 8's are a good way to get used to a bike at low speed

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

hi
    I recently went from a 100cc moped to a CB500. Best advice is training (I've mine booked for next week) and practice, practice practice. Take it easy to begin and as madrab says watch the speedo. I found myself breaking the speed limit in second gear! :eek:
    Also I went out early on Sunday mornings and got some good runs when traffic was quiet. Try and get a lot of practice in now before the weather gets bad and you have other things to watch and worry about.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for the advise folks, buying it this weekend. Am a bit nervous but dead excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

hey good luck and be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Its a big jump from the virago alright, but the deauville is no rocket, from what i've heard its a nice smooth bike that puts the power down in a friendly way so i wouldn't be worried about inadvertant wheelies.
    Take a day and cruise around on it to get used to it, start off in a carpark and practice your low speed manuevering. once you're confident in that you're laughing.
    It usually takes me about half an hour of saddle time to get used to a strange bike, and maybe another half hour to feel comfortable. after that its plain sailing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

PIcked up the bike there during the week! Its a pleasure to ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Enjoy! Keep it between the bushes...

Advertisement