Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant invasion

Options
  • 11-09-2005 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

We have had a little invasion of ants in our appartment for two days now. They seem to be coming from the kitchen and then making their way to the bathroom. We did a big clean up yesterday, making sure to remove all sugar and crumbs. We've tried sealing up any holes but it's so difficult to be sure where they are coming from. Has anyone got any tips? I've never had this problem before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

The best place to start is behind the presses & fridge etc in the kitchen..These buggers dont need much space to get in so check for any sort of holes between skirtings,around pipes or vents leading to the outside.Anything you find plug it with expanding foam or filler....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

I think it is nearly impossible to prevent ants getting into your house. We get them every year and I've learned to almost enjoy getting rid of them :-)

There is a poison which comes in a white tube which is pretty effective because it will kill the entire nest including the queen. You put a couple of drops on a piece of cardboard along one of their runs. Closer to where they are coming in the best and you should be able to figure this out by watching them for a few minutes. Do this for a few days. The ants that you see will bring the poison back to the nest and feed the other ants with it. I can't think of the name but it's a white tube with an orange splash and black ant on it. Let me know if you're having trouble finding it and I'll get the name. I usually find it easier to get from local hardware stores than the likes of Woodies.

Don't be tempted to use the powder stuff that just kills the ants on contact. It won't work unless you actually know where the nest is and attack it directly.

My parents got one of those plug in insect repellents and they swore it worked so I bought one and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. Then I borrowd theirs (different make) and it seemed to do the trick. They were about the same price too so it wasn't just that I bought a cheap one.

I hope this helps. The first thing to remember is that while it's not nice to have anything crawling around, ants are pretty clean and don't really carry diseases.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Lemo wrote:
    I think it is nearly impossible to prevent ants getting into your house. We get them every year and I've learned to almost enjoy getting rid of them :-)

There is a poison which comes in a white tube which is pretty effective because it will kill the entire nest including the queen. You put a couple of drops on a piece of cardboard along one of their runs. Closer to where they are coming in the best and you should be able to figure this out by watching them for a few minutes. Do this for a few days. The ants that you see will bring the poison back to the nest and feed the other ants with it. I can't think of the name but it's a white tube with an orange splash and black ant on it. Let me know if you're having trouble finding it and I'll get the name. I usually find it easier to get from local hardware stores than the likes of Woodies.

Don't be tempted to use the powder stuff that just kills the ants on contact. It won't work unless you actually know where the nest is and attack it directly.

My parents got one of those plug in insect repellents and they swore it worked so I bought one and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. Then I borrowd theirs (different make) and it seemed to do the trick. They were about the same price too so it wasn't just that I bought a cheap one.

I hope this helps. The first thing to remember is that while it's not nice to have anything crawling around, ants are pretty clean and don't really carry diseases.

Good luck
    Sounds fun! I'd enjoy that...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

beller b wrote:
    Sounds fun! I'd enjoy that...LOL

It takes a week or so it's not like playing Lemmings :-)

That said, the feeding frenzy can be interesting to watch. You put down the blob of poison and within an hour or so it will be surrounded by ants feeding and then heading back to the nest.

Advertisement