Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocabulary.

Options
  • 10-09-2005 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

IS there any way of expanding your vocab, like specific excercises, that help you retain the information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

crosswords are useful

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Reading - both the (non-tabloid) newspapers and books. I find it easier to remember a new word when it is used in context (like a sentence) not isolated (like a crossword).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Read books, browse through the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's a well-known memory trick to retain vocabulary. You just create an image or scene of the word. For example, "boulangerie", the French word for bakery, can be remember by picturing a bull wearing lingerie, in a bakers. You can link parts of the word to be remembered to other words that are similar, or at least sound similar, or even words in another language! It's said the racier the image, the stronger the link, so be prepared for a head full of filth :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

One of the lads in my office tried that trick for peoples names, now he can remember all the pictures he chose but not what they stand for!
    It worked for me though - I can remember the names and the images and I'm usually terrible with names.

What I do is read something complicated, not related to my area.
    I go through it slowly, with a dictionary and write down the definitions of the words I don't recognise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Read lots of books and magazines and then practice writing yourself.

For example, I was crap at English in first year at school, then I took an interest in reading magazines and then started publishing articles on a website I had.

In my Leaving Cert, I got an A1 in Higher Level English. Mainly due to just reading magazines, newspapers and books, and expanding my vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Wow some cool ideas here guys!! ill give them a try. I just find i use the same vocab all the time and id love to expand a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

there are several 'word a day' type email newsletters that email you a new exciting word every day :)

Advertisement