Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Mad Idea... (Now with added spoilers.. but only half the fat)

Options
  • 10-09-2005 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet... and please don't shoot me down just yet, but...

has anyone linked lost to ancient egypt yet? especially Anubis (the judge of the dead)?

... if it goes all heiroglyphs and pyramids... you heard it here first.

this may seem like a mad idea but i believe that there may be a connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

loon wrote:
    i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet... and please don't shoot me down just yet, but...

has anyone linked lost to ancient egypt yet? especially Anubis (the judge of the dead)?

... if it goes all heiroglyphs and pyramids... you heard it here first

What drugs are you taking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'm gonna be perfectly honest here and tell you I have zero idea what you're talking about... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loon.. please wait til you watch all episodes from Season 1 before you start spouting crazy theories!

Because some of them are just laughable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

that's irrelevant... but...

i was looking on oceanic air and after zooming in on the message looked left where it says... Visit ancient australia ... which made me remember about Hunter Valley (its a national park about 100k north of SYDNEY). in the 1900's they discovered some caves which had some ancient egyptian heiroglyphs, mainly focusing around Anubis, the judge of the dead, and no-one is quite sure how they got there, as they have been there for well over 5000 years..

the glyphs as a whole tell the story of ancient travellers ship wrecked in a unfamiliar hostile land...

also (i can't quite remember exactly) but there is an ancient egytian myth about Isis (i think it was isis) and rites of passage involving the hunting and slaying of a wild boar.

... and as i am still convinced they are dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

loon wrote:
    ... and as i am still convinced they are dead...
    Even though the producers confirmed that wasn't it...

• Advertisement

i know, but it takes a lot to convince me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Isnt Anubis the bad guy in Stargate SG1? :)

Isnt Anubis the bad guy in Stargate SG1? :)
    Not to mention The Anteater in 'Kingdom Hospital'! :D

EDIT: Correction.. that was Antibus!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

everyone know's it's based (loosely) on Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner... :D

Karoma wrote:
    everyone know's it's based (loosely) on Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner... :D
    EH?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

basquille wrote:
    Not to mention The Anteater in 'Kingdom Hospital'! :D

EDIT: Correction.. that was Antibus!
    Why would anyone have anything agains a bus?

Karoma wrote:

... which was stolen from the am-tuat and the eye of houros and ironically homer's oddysee..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

loon wrote:

... if it goes all heiroglyphs and pyramids... you heard it here first.

While I don't think the survivors are dead, you've managed to make an Africa-Australia connection which plays into an alternative theory to the "they're dead" one, which you'll see later in the season in Deus Ex Machina.

Anubis was an Egyptian god, a "god from the machine"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

OFDM wrote:
    While I don't think the survivors are dead, you've managed to make an Africa-Australia connection which plays into an alternative theory to the "they're dead" one, which you'll see later in the season in Deus Ex Machina.

ya know, this place is spoilerific!

OFDM wrote:

i do know what you are going on about, but i think the problem is fantasy... if they are all dead, then the fantasy element has gone, ie people die and people believe in life after death, heaven and hell it... but with the other theories, its plain fantasy, giving the writers free licence to do what they will and they may as well stick in a stargate and a couple of ewoks and make it just as believable

..personally i think the writers have no idea whats going to happen and they are merely trawling through forums like these for the best ideas...

Draupnir wrote:
    ya know, this place is spoilerific!
    Not really a spoiler, just something that fits into the theory that can be formed from watching Deus Ex Machina. If you haven't seen as far as Deus Ex Machina, then nothing about Egyptians is going to spoiler to anything that happens in the later episodes or Deus Ex Machina itself.

At least one of loon's crazy ideas has actually turned out to be something that is not only original, but might actually have some substance, albeit not in the way he originally intended.

loon wrote:
    i do know what you are going on about, but i think the problem is fantasy... if they are all dead, then the fantasy element has gone, ie people die and people believe in life after death, heaven and hell it... but with the other theories, its plain fantasy, giving the writers free licence to do what they will and they may as well stick in a stargate and a couple of ewoks and make it just as believable

..personally i think the writers have no idea whats going to happen and they are merely trawling through forums like these for the best ideas...
    I'll start a new thread to discuss this without fear of spoilers for IRL and UK viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

OFDM wrote:
    ....the theory that can be formed from watching Deus Ex Machina...

ive seen deus ex machina but im not sure what theory you mean. could you post it, even with spoiler tags and explicit warnings to anyone who hasnt seen the episode yet??

sephirosis wrote:
    ive seen deus ex machina but im not sure what theory you mean. could you post it, even with spoiler tags and explicit warnings to anyone who hasnt seen the episode yet??
    Don't read this spoiler if you're watching on Channel 4 - it'll just confiuse you or worse stop you from trying to come up with your own theories. It should be safe for IRL viewers:
    Portal theory - there a portal on the international date line and southwest of Nigeria where the GMT line crosses the equator, that brings people (and possibly a ship full of ancient Egyptians) to the island. Of course the Egyptians would have had an intact ship, might not have even been aware that they were transported and ended up in australia eventually were they made hieroglyphs of the Egyptian god Anubis (a possible Deus Ex Machina? - a "god from the machine"??) in the caves of Hunter Valley 100 miles north of Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ummm...I don't log in for half a day and suddenly there are discussions about Egyptions and worm holes! :confused:

Can't say I buy any of it to be honest! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

is there any scientific reasoning behind the
    theory of the portal
    or is it just based on events of the island, eg
    the presence of the polar bear and nigerian plane
    ?

i've posted an explaination of how in OFDM's reply to this thread, but its a bit far out..

however, there are polar energetics in the arctic (the polar bear), in africa (the plane), obviously in and around australia and in egypt (see the other thread)

i've put the spoiler above, but its in white though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

loon wrote:
    i've posted an explaination of how in OFDM's reply to this thread, but its a bit far out..

however, there are polar energetics in the arctic (the polar bear), in africa (the plane), obviously in and around australia and in egypt (see the other thread)

i've put the spoiler above, but its in white though..

In case you don't know...here is how you put something in spoiler text:

[spoile r] [/spoile r]

except no spaces in the words...only way i could type it so you could see it. :p

cheers:
    just a test

sephirosis wrote:
    is there any scientific reasoning behind the
    theory of the portal
    or is it just based on events of the island, eg
    the presence of the polar bear and nigerian plane
    ?
    Check this out for a great theory on
    portals
    :
    http://p073.ezboard.com/flosttheunofficalforumfortheabcseriesfrm29.showMessageRange?topicID=2272.topic&start=1&stop=20

this is kinda what i was going on about with polar energetics, but the problem with the IDL is that time is a man made concept based on daylight. i believe in the fundamentals eg how long it takes the earth to revolve around the sun etc, but set times ie 0.00am, 1.00am etc are nothing but a set of convenient figures that let us know when its day/night. when you adjust clocks for DST nothing physically changes

... sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

OFDM wrote:
    Extremely intresting read OFDM .

loon wrote:
    this is kinda what i was going on about with polar energetics,
    I could only find one website with details on polar energetics:
    http://www.earthlinkmission.org/Polarenergetics.htm

Do you have any more resources on them?

Perhaps the Lost
    doorways/wormholes/portals
    are man-made, that's why they correspond to man-made co-ordinates and times.

i got some books...

but looked at website, thats all you really need to know...

its really all about linking the earths 3d geomerty to inter-dimensional planes, which kinda supports your
    portals
    theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'm rewatching the series from the beginning, going through the relevant threads as I do and stumbled across this. I love how people were so quick to put down the original posters theory :D

Advertisement