Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tá ceist agam: a lán/ an-chuid

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Dia daoibh a chairde,

tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge, ach níl mórán Gaeilge agam go fóill, is mór an trua í.

An dtig leat cuidiú, le do thoil?

Scríobh mé "Labhraíomar a lán.". Now somebody told me, they (the irish speaking people in Dublin) would never use the phrase "a lán" in the past tense. He'd prefer "Labhraíomar an-chuid.". Is that standard or just regional?

Slán

Kim

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

An-chuid is just right. I have NO idea how to explain why though, but I am sure someone will. I don't think its regional though.

Go n-éirí leat i do foghlaim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 maybelline

Go raibh maith agat :)

I was just wondering why he'd say "Labhraímid a lán" in the present tense but never "a lán" in the past tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Ní déarfainnse "labhraíomar a lán/ an-chuid" mar tá tionchar an Bhéarla air.
    i.e: We spoke a lot about. B'fhearr: "bhí neart le rá againn i dtaobh..."
    Nuair a aistrítear abairtí díreach ón mBéarla éiríonn na pointí grammadaí i bhfad níos casta ná sa Ghaeilge nádúrtha.

Diorraing wrote:
    Ní déarfainnse "labhraíomar a lán/ an-chuid" mar tá tionchar an Bhéarla air.
    i.e: We spoke a lot about. B'fhearr: "bhí neart le rá againn i dtaobh..."
    Nuair a aistrítear abairtí díreach ón mBéarla éiríonn na pointí grammadaí i bhfad níos casta ná sa Ghaeilge nádúrtha.
    Go raibh maith agat :)

I guess I will never have natural Irish :( It's quite difficult and I don't know any native speaker to tell me how to say something. So I have to use my English and try to simplify it (and hope it's not too bad :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Yeah, I guess the best ting to do is learn a load of phrases, listen to the lads on TG4 and you'll catch on to the natural rhythm of it.

• Advertisement

I'll try, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Diorraing is right maybelline. It really depends on the case and context. But the above cases seem very English based phrases. You'll acquire natural Irish as you improve. Be patient! De réir a chéile a thógtar na caisleáin(Rome wasn't built in a day). languages are never learned overnight. So stick with it!

"A lán" is not really appropraate in the above case, but whoever said you can't use "a lán" in the past tense is talking out of their hole! :rolleyes:

Ah well, I'm learning languages for over 20 years now, so I know it's not learned overnight ;) But it's quite difficult with Irish as I can't ask a native speaker how to express something. The way of thinking, the structure of the sentences, that's all that different and I just don't know how to get used to it. Ach déanaim mo sheach ndícheall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dalta

There's nothing better than a séjour in the Gaeltacht, the last dying vestiges of the Irish language. The thing is, with learning languages, you're forced to ask questions that you would never normally ask when speaking your own language.

That's true, but I have to ask, because I want to learn. Just don't wanna bother anybody with my (stupid) questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

maybelline wrote:
    That's true, but I have to ask, because I want to learn. Just don't wanna bother anybody with my (stupid) questions.

May I suggest you join the following e-mail list. It's geared towards asking such questions.
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/liosta/gaeilge-b/

You could also join the one for more fluent speakers thoguh your have to conduct all discussion in Irish only there.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/liosta/gaeilge-a/

Thank you :)

Advertisement