Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into Century homes

Options
  • 09-09-2005 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi, considering building in the future as the family grows, and had a look at the century homes site. Their Quick Quote section seems way too good to be true! Has anyone ever used them? And did it work out expensive? We're considering a 4 bed bungalow.

Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Debracd wrote:
    Hi, considering building in the future as the family grows, and had a look at the century homes site. Their Quick Quote section seems way too good to be true! Has anyone ever used them? And did it work out expensive? We're considering a 4 bed bungalow.

Thanks,

Deb

Thats a standard spec quote, so dont go thinking you are getting additional insulation/ soundproofing, reduced stud centres, radiator studs, solid pine doors, hardwood stair case, or any thing silly like better quality.

In short do your homework, increase your individual specifications as required, and then resubmit for costing. Too good to be true, tends to be that, and its a minimum spec detail. So do the ground work.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

kadman..I am using Century homes kit to build in longford at the moment. Sales dept. not very good..waiting 4 weeks for kit.........so make sure you order good and early.The quote you get on site is a buget quote using all standard items. For eg Pine doors(red deal better), Insulation for external walls and roof(none for internal), another 10k for kit erection( If use Century erectors)....Im building a 2260sqft story and half and the kit price is around 45k(without erection). Final price of house will be 177k(no decoration,etc) with Builder building it for me...They say price on site is about 1/3 of final price....mine is more like 1/4 but as i said , im gettin builder to do all the work for me..would be cheaper direct labour... :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

10k seems a bit steep for erecting the kit?

I got a crowd from Galway and they did ours for 4.5 cash.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

Yop....ya thats century homes price..think builder is getting his own guy which will be considerabley cheaper...looked at site...house looks great...just qestion on insulation...did you insulated between floors and between internal walls..?. builder says not necessary but im worried about noise..??..Also century suppling fiberglass...would rockwool be a better job like you have in your own house..??

Advertisement