Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little project................

Options
  • 09-09-2005 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

heya hows it goin?

just want to know what exactly i can do to my buggy. i'm going to give fixing the pullstart another shot fixing it in2 place with a bit of jb weld, but unless that works i cant find one to fit anywhere. will still look but want a plan b.......................... so i gona make it a bit f a project can i put any engine on it? if i cant fix it i'm gona make it better! will prob go for cen stuff just because they are most available, but any1 any recommendations??? any help..much appreciated, will def have pic posted by sat.

cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

...what exactly i can do to my buggy. i'm going to give fixing the pullstart another shot fixing it in2 place with a bit of jb weld...
    Which buggy is it?
    Which part of the pullstart is broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

its a smartech, its the acutual pull start just unwound, i've tried over and over to get it done, asked in the lhs but he's too busy!

He will always be too busy because from the LHS viewpoint rewinding a pullstart for a non car buyer is looked upon as working skilled labour time for no pay.

The people in the LHS know that your pullstart is (partially) damaged as a result of the treatment it has received, they know it can be fixed regularly but will break repeatedly, be fixed again, and so on, until eventually it is replaced.
    So when you ask the LHS to "fix" your pullstart, what the LHS guy hears you say is ....... "be generous to me and fix this thing that U didn't sell me, I won't complain when it breaks again. Even tho I bought the car from another supplier, you should help me out".

But the LHS guy has already helped out people many times in the past in situations exactly like this and has learned that non-customers cannot be kept happy unless they get new parts. It has been a losing situation for the LHS which they rather do without. Why accept trouble in return for a few cents. Would you do that? You shopped abroad to save a few €€, and therefore they know your attitude by the car you chose. So they quite sensibly refuse your requests. They will only give you backup on something you buy from them.

Their expert skills are "free" only for their customers who bot cars from them.

However ....
    A LHS WILL sell you a new pullstart unit.
    If you buy a new pullstart they WILL fit it for a small charge, maybe free.

A new pullstart is €25-30. If you are shown the correct technique it will last a year and a half. Beginners who don't know the correct technique break 2-4 while gradually copping on. The LHS guy MIGHTshow you how not to break pullstarts when you buy one as a spare part, but he is under no obligation.

In the meantime be patient. You are paying in sweat for the € you saved. If you keep at the rewinding thing it will eventually come to you. At first you need three hands! :) After much frustration and trying it eventually it goes in. Then you can do it fromthen onwards. ;)

fair points although i do also have a car from him. i've tried to buy a new one but the nut that it turns "doesnt fit european cars"!!! so it's got to be a new engine or a longshot chance at getting in cointact with th smartech service centre!!

... i've tried to buy a new one but the nut that it turns "doesnt fit european cars"!!!
    Then you just haven't tried the right pullstart (or LHS) yet :)
    ....so it's got to be a new engine
    I doubt that's necessary.

Many Carson parts will fit a Smartech car, tho they are not identical, Smartech is quite similar to the budget models from the Carson range, and many parts from one fit the other.

So I suggest you take a look at the website of the Dublin hobby model shop www.greenhobbymodel.com in Harolds Cross.
    Go to the page of the on-road Carson "CS" cars. As I remember there are three parts list links on that page down near the bottom, with exploded parts diagrams. You might find the particular part you need there, (or phone) and be able to get it instant over the counter.

If this source does not work, then another make which has parts that often fits your car brand is "GV". the shop that does these is The Model Centre , in Capel Street. You would have to bring in the engine for a trial fit, because I don't know which GV if any would be the nearest to your make.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

wow had a look at the website the stormracer is damn near identical, will definetly have a look in there! thanks! wil let you know how it goes!

eh no!!! didnt have it! found it online, didnt want to have to order online but that was that! thanks for your help!

Advertisement